1 3.33%
  • Already did it and never looking back

9 30.00%
  • No way - staying with BlackBerry

12 40.00%
  • In the next 3 - 6 months

8 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I bet that RIM experienced a huge drop in BIS volume this past week - Verizon is a huge company and losing that many customers in a period of several days must have provided relief to BIS' struggling architecture. Yes - struggling - b/c how many outages have we had so far this year?

Now I can finally have a device that truly does email! Next time some1 tells me that BlackBerry does email really well I'm going to punch them in the face. I can't wait to reinstate my Inbox rules, to sync my calendar, my to-do lists, to be able to open emails longer than 10 lines, to be able to automatically view images in my emails, to browse the internet at last, open PDF files natively, view YouTube at high resolution, type fast again!!!

My HTC DROID INCREDIBLE is en route to delivery from the local Fedex sorting facility. I'm already jittery on too much caffeine - I can't wait to get 'me' some of that AnDROID goodness.
    05-03-10 01:08 PM
    I'm proud of you. Way to go. Enjoy your device, cool guy. Have fun.
    05-03-10 01:54 PM
    You do realize that there is a whole forum site for android chat, complete even with an Incredible subforum where you and all the other android users can marvel at how "incredible" the phone is at eating up batteries... Here's hoping you already found it.
    05-03-10 03:26 PM
    So let me get this right, you excited and claiming this NEW phone is better than a 2 year old phone? and you have not even recived the new phone yet?
    05-03-10 05:34 PM
    im soo staying with BB,,,,
    05-03-10 06:00 PM
    what's "incredible" to me are the number of people who ditched their berries for an incredible, only to find that it was not, and are now back on RIM devices
    05-03-10 06:07 PM
    One word one number:
    Storm 3.
    05-03-10 06:08 PM
    what's "incredible" to me are the number of people who ditched their berries for an incredible, only to find that it was not, and are now back on RIM devices
    ditto.

You can come the forums and find many that tried the droid found it fell short of the hype. The screen was one such example.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-10 09:57 PM
    What hype? The iPhone has all the hype. The Android platform has followed the path of most open source project when it's ready it's released and everybody knows everything upfront

Many reporters have commented on how badly google prompted it's products

05-03-10 11:59 PM
    What hype? The iPhone has all the hype. The Android platform has followed the path of most open source project when it's ready it's released and everybody knows everything upfront

Many reporters have commented on how badly google prompted it's products

Everything, like how the camera sucks on the Moto Droid or how the battery is lucky to last half a day on the HTC Incredible (two very common thread themes on the Droid forums)? There is nothing open source about these products, you are really kidding yourself if you think they are anything but another incremental step in a long line of shinier tools/toys. They have bleeding edge problems and growing pains, like every device in history, and every device going forward.

Epilogue: I was really hoping to cruise the Incredible section of Android Central and see stories about all the awesome new apps and how great the phone was to have around... Maybe I would even catch the fever and be hyped about getting one in a few months. Instead, what apps are everyone talk about? Stupid memory/task managers, battery monitors, 'flashlight' tools and replacement keyboards. Wow, nothing wants me to run down to the store and pick one up like an array of crappy apps that don't really do anything useful.
    05-04-10 08:17 AM
    Everything, like how the camera sucks on the Moto Droid or how the battery is lucky to last half a day on the HTC Incredible (two very common thread themes on the Droid forums)? There is nothing open source about these products, you are really kidding yourself if you think they are anything but another incremental step in a long line of shinier tools/toys. They have bleeding edge problems and growing pains, like every device in history, and every device going forward.

Epilogue: I was really hoping to cruise the Incredible section of Android Central and see stories about all the awesome new apps and how great the phone was to have around... Maybe I would even catch the fever and be hyped about getting one in a few months. Instead, what apps are everyone talk about? Stupid memory/task managers, battery monitors, 'flashlight' tools and replacement keyboards. Wow, nothing wants me to run down to the store and pick one up like an array of crappy apps that don't really do anything useful.
    the apps are really nice, but they try to keep the app talk in that section and not in the individual sections. That is one reason you dont see much talk abut them there.
    05-04-10 10:05 AM
    Everything, like how the camera sucks on the Moto Droid or how the battery is lucky to last half a day on the HTC Incredible (two very common thread themes on the Droid forums)? There is nothing open source about these products, you are really kidding yourself if you think they are anything but another incremental step in a long line of shinier tools/toys.
    I understand you're venting but keep your points consistent, bashing the camera quality and battery life only reinforces my point about no hype surrounding the Android OS

To say the androidn OS us not open source us just sily. Just by you deny it so does m not change the fact. Further more you can download the code from their Development site.

Mind you I'm not talking about the products I'm talking about the OS. The Phones just happen to complement the OS nicely.

Instead, what apps are everyone talk about? Stupid memory/task managers, battery monitors, 'flashlight' tools and replacement keyboards. Wow, nothing wants me to run down to the store and pick one up like an array of crappy apps that don't really do anything useful.
    Those are the same apps that us blackbery users spend tons of time talking about.

Don't be fooled however there are a lot of great apps for the Android. Most of the best apps on the BB exists for the Android and in some cases are even better than the BB. Flixter and Repligo are some examples. Also there us OpenOffice the full product that works on the Android--and its free

Last edited by _X_; 05-04-10 at 11:20 AM.
    05-04-10 11:15 AM
    I understand you're venting but keep your points consistent, bashing the camera quality and battery life only reinforces my point about no hype surrounding the Android OS

To say the androidn OS us not open source us just sily. Just by you deny it so does m not change the fact. Further more you can download the code from their Development site.

Mind you I'm not talking about the products I'm talking about the OS. The Phones just happen to complement the OS nicely.

Those are the same apps that us blackbery users spend tons of time talking about.

Don't be fooled however there are a lot of great apps for the Android. Most of the best apps on the BB exists for the Android and in some cases are even better than the BB. Flixter and Repligo are some examples. Also there us OpenOffice the full product that works on the Android--and its free

I will go easy on you since English isn't your first language. The point I am making regarding the 'open source' nature of Android is that there is really no parallel between Android's development and other open products like Debian Linux (for example), which are developed by a community of contributors and they are free to change anything about it they please. Android was developed by one group, for a specific purpose, and it's ongoing development is also done by that same group. Phone specific implementation is done exclusively by another group (the hw manufacturer) and this is not at all 'open'. You will never see a change/fix/improvement by an anonymous community member merged into the core OS; features are driven by commercial marketing and change control is totally internal.

In the future, maybe the ecosystem necessary for making Android more of a conventional open source community based product will emerge, but it is not there today and to try to extol the virtues of "open source" wrt Android is a fantasy.

Trust me, I have worked/been involved in various open source communities for over 10 years now. There are publicly written and freely available apps for Android, this is the only 'open' community driven thing about it, but the same kinds of communities exist for BB, WebOS, and iPhone.
    05-04-10 12:28 PM
    BIS is obsolete. No IMAP folders on 2010 is a joke.
    05-04-10 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD