I have 2 spare Storm batteries that are in boxed away in the closet. My wife suggests I charge them up and keep one at the office and in the car.

How long will they hold a charge just sitting there? A few days, weeks, or months? I've never really read into bb batteries (l-ion?) so i'm not sure of their capabilities at this point.

TIA
    01-29-09 11:14 PM
    yeah im interested in this as well. ive been thinking about getting a spare battery and a charger for it
    01-29-09 11:17 PM
    I hear storing batteries in the freezer helps them keep a charge. My grandma does this with Duracell AAs. Not sure about Lithium Ion
    01-29-09 11:18 PM
    I hear storing batteries in the freezer helps them keep a charge. My grandma does this with Duracell AAs. Not sure about Lithium Ion
    They should be kept cool (fridge, etc), but never frozen.
    01-29-09 11:42 PM
    Somehow when I'm on the roll and my first battery is going dead, I'm seldom hanging around my refrigerator. I think keeping it in the fridge defeats the purpose of having it. I keep mine in the car and whenever I happen to switch - maybe up to two weeks in between - my replacement is at 100%. Keep it in the fridge if you want to use it as an ice cube.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 12:15 AM
    Somehow when I'm on the roll and my first battery is going dead, I'm seldom hanging around my refrigerator. I think keeping it in the fridge defeats the purpose of having it. I keep mine in the car and whenever I happen to switch - maybe up to two weeks in between - my replacement is at 100%. Keep it in the fridge if you want to use it as an ice cube.
    lol - point taken. However, I hope you don't live in a warm climate, because heat is the enemy of Lithium batteries and will degrade your investment quicker if you keep it in a hot car.
    01-30-09 12:23 AM
    I don't know about posting links to other sites here, but I did a simple google search and will post below.

Lithium-ion batteries age. They only last two to three years, even if they are sitting on a shelf unused. So do not "avoid using" the battery with the thought that the battery pack will last five years. It won't. Also, if you are buying a new battery pack, you want to make sure it really is new. If it has been sitting on a shelf in the store for a year, it won't last very long. Manufacturing dates are important.
    01-30-09 12:27 AM
    I kept a spare in the car for two weeks and one day i forgot my car charger and popped the spare one in. Started on full and lasted for about 75% than what the fully fresh charged battery. I say... Not Too Bad!
    01-30-09 12:33 AM
    lol - point taken. However, I hope you don't live in a warm climate, because heat is the enemy of Lithium batteries and will degrade your investment quicker if you keep it in a hot car.
    Hasn't been too hot since 9.21 but your point is a good one too. I keep it in the center consol but even in there it can probably get to 100 degrees in the summer. I suspect I'll keep it in there anyways.

01-30-09 02:58 AM
    Hasn't been too hot since 9.21 but your point is a good one too. I keep it in the center consol but even in there it can probably get to 100 degrees in the summer. I suspect I'll keep it in there anyways.

Only 100? You must live somewhere cold. I remember doing an experiment years ago in high school and our test car achieved over 160F in 100F.
    01-30-09 03:07 AM
    160 out in the open or in a covered center consol/box? I'm sure it can get up to !60 laying out in the open. I'm in northen CA. We can get a couple 100-degree days a year, but not many.

01-30-09 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD