I have found that the best cure for this is, after installing a new OS, let your battery run down all the way (past the point the radio shuts off, continue running an app, such as the music player) until the unit physically shuts off. Give the phone a complete recharge and you should notice a 10-15% increase in your battery life.
    05-26-09 10:50 PM
    Very true, i do this everytime i download a new OS.
    05-26-09 11:04 PM
    interesting, i'll have to give it a shot!
    05-26-09 11:48 PM
    what would a new os have to do with this? this is just good practice to do every once in a while.
    05-27-09 11:58 AM
    what would a new os have to do with this? this is just good practice to do every once in a while.
    I dont know what a new OS update has to do with it, but it is similar to the thread that Civic has posted regarding old emails coming up with a red "x" after new OS install. It is just some BB bug, dont know why it happens, but there are so many posts about poor battery life after OS install that I felt it better to post a thread about it to help inform others about problem resolution so that there are not so many random posts regarding same issue
    05-27-09 02:52 PM
    Lithium ion tech actually is adversely affected by dropping the battery below 20% on a regular basis.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 02:58 PM
    Funny thing. I installed the lastest OS last Friday. Put my phone on it's night cradle (use it as alarm clock). Got up 6:00 am Saturday, took off on short road trip without a car charger, was only going to be gone 6-7 hrs. At noon I picked up my phone to make a call and it was shut off. I thought what the heck, I don't remember shutting this off. Turned it on and it said battery was too low to start and it shut down again. When I got home I put it on the charger for a few hours and have not had a problem since.
    It seemed odd that even after charging all night it went dead so quick but after going totally dead then recharging..no more problems. Also I get old deleted emails sometimes 3-4 days deleted after reloading a new OS.
    05-27-09 04:16 PM
    I usually let it run down to around 10% and then charge back up. Maybe I'll give this a try.
    05-27-09 04:21 PM
    To add to this, it's also very possible that the charge discharge gauge that the phone uses to gauge battery voltage remaining has some minor changes done to it from OS release to OS release as part of their constant power management changes they are making to the OS to help with extended battery life. When this happens, a battery must be drained pretty low to properly reset the counters (sort of speak). It's not really quite this blatant, but I'm not going to go into the exact details.
    05-27-09 04:26 PM
    I find this very confusing. I tried to start a thread on this myself.

Some people say let it run down. Others say no lower then 10%. I don't know who to believe. These are all opinions and nobody is giving a great deal of facts.
    05-27-09 04:48 PM

Some people say let it run down. Others say no lower then 10%. I don't know who to believe. These are all opinions and nobody is giving a great deal of facts.
    That's because a lot of people talk out of their azz. It's hard to trust the suggestions of anyone who "doesn't have real world expereince" with things they speak about. A lot of the people on this forum will speak from what I like to call "book smarts". If you knew what I know, you'd agree with me that book knowledge doesn't hold a match to real world experience in the technology world. I have proven book knowledge in certain aspects wrong several times... yet the writers of those so called facts don't want to rewrite the papers with built in variences for certain explanations and exceptions. They deem them unneccesary and want to stick with the black and white of their so called facts.

Bottom line, experiment with what works best for you. I think you'll find that some things that people say, just are as blatantly truthful as they'd have you believe.
    05-27-09 05:08 PM

It is confusing, so I don't blame you for that. Here's the best way to do things. Don't run your battery down regularly or you will make it die much faster. However, letting it run down all the way once every few months may indeed be useful to reset it.

My recommendation based on extensive research into lithium ion batteries with laptops (should be the exact same thing here) is to use your phone normally. If you notice that the battery indicator seems to be off, then try running it down all the way as described above. This will reset the phone's computer and will fix the battery life indicator. Otherwise, don't worry about it as you don't need to do it.
    05-27-09 05:12 PM
    It is confusing, so I don't blame you for that. Here's the best way to do things. Don't run your battery down regularly or you will make it die much faster. However, letting it run down all the way once every few months may indeed be useful to reset it.

My recommendation based on extensive research into lithium ion batteries with laptops (should be the exact same thing here) is to use your phone normally. If you notice that the battery indicator seems to be off, then try running it down all the way as described above. This will reset the phone's computer and will fix the battery life indicator. Otherwise, don't worry about it as you don't need to do it.
    Agreed.....
    05-27-09 05:22 PM

Awesome Advice
    05-27-09 05:25 PM

This is exactly what Apple recommends with their Mac Books.
    05-27-09 06:51 PM
    Funny thing. I installed the lastest OS last Friday. Put my phone on it's night cradle (use it as alarm clock). Got up 6:00 am Saturday, took off on short road trip without a car charger, was only going to be gone 6-7 hrs. At noon I picked up my phone to make a call and it was shut off. I thought what the heck, I don't remember shutting this off. Turned it on and it said battery was too low to start and it shut down again. When I got home I put it on the charger for a few hours and have not had a problem since.
    It seemed odd that even after charging all night it went dead so quick but after going totally dead then recharging..no more problems. Also I get old deleted emails sometimes 3-4 days deleted after reloading a new OS.
    The same thing happened to me, You have to make sure that the phone is all the way down in that cradle, even though it looks like it is. I put mine in the cradle to charge. I also use it as an alarm clock, woke up and looked over and my dang phone was off! After panicing and rushing off to work late I realized that I did not see my clock turn on when I inserted it into the cradel, even though it looked like it was all the way down.
    05-27-09 06:57 PM
    That's because a lot of people talk out of their azz. It's hard to trust the suggestions of anyone who "doesn't have real world expereince" with things they speak about. A lot of the people on this forum will speak from what I like to call "book smarts". If you knew what I know, you'd agree with me that book knowledge doesn't hold a match to real world experience in the technology world. I have proven book knowledge in certain aspects wrong several times... yet the writers of those so called facts don't want to rewrite the papers with built in variences for certain explanations and exceptions. They deem them unneccesary and want to stick with the black and white of their so called facts.

Bottom line, experiment with what works best for you. I think you'll find that some things that people say, just are as blatantly truthful as they'd have you believe.
    Civic is obv much more well versed than I in these aspects, and tho I must strain to decode the "true and proper" meaning of what she says, I feel like she is saying that I am right?! If so, then ty, I take that as a very large compliment. Either way, I came into this trick purely by accident (or running my phone too low) noticed the difference, and just wanted to share
    05-27-09 11:19 PM
    I am not sure how this works as I was a vzw indirect agent for some time. I know that the lithium ion batteries have no memory to them. You can charge them anytime you like I used to tell customers just like filling your gas tank all though each battery does have a life of up to 300 to 350 charge cycles. I used to tell customers that if you charged your battery every night for over a year, you've gone past the life cycle and are lucky it's even good at all.
    05-28-09 12:20 AM
    Humm..
    All these talk about inaccurate gauge requiring battery complete drain to reset got me wondering if simply leaving the battery out
    For some time (say half hour should be more then enough?) will make the unit reset the gauge?

However doesn't the gauge tell the level based on voltage? If that's correct.. Then why would near complete drain matter?

I do agree though that a drain to a safe limit should be done on the batteries on occasion

What level is the battery down to before complete shut down?

I'm confusing myself with this but its interesting

05-28-09 12:50 AM
    Humm..
    All these talk about inaccurate gauge requiring battery complete drain to reset got me wondering if simply leaving the battery out
    For some time (say half hour should be more then enough?) will make the unit reset the gauge?

However doesn't the gauge tell the level based on voltage? If that's correct.. Then why would near complete drain matter?

I do agree though that a drain to a safe limit should be done on the batteries on occasion

What level is the battery down to before complete shut down?

I'm confusing myself with this but its interesting

The gauge isn't really in the phone. It has more to do with what sort of performance feedback it sees from the battery. No matter how memory proof LiOn batteries are, a bit of conditioning via a full discharge sometimes is a good thing with ANY battery.

05-28-09 01:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD