My Storm was a dog with the 4/.76 OS it was released with in Nov/08. It got marginally better with the 4/.122 upgrade Telus released in spring/09. No more upgrades since even though virtually all the other carriers had released multiple upgrades, with the final one taking the Storm to 5.x.

Yet all the user comments I've read indicate a Storm with 5.x is like a new phone - and so would be way more popular.

Now I have a Telus Storm 2 with 5.0.0.320 and am having problems with voice command inaccuracy. The solution apparently is to upgrade the OS - the comment is that .419 significantly improves bluetooth accuracy and clarity. But that would mean no more support from my carrier.

The bottom line : carriers are controlling the popularity and user experience on RIM's devices. RIM's business arrangements are shooting its business results in the foot.

Why does RIM allow this? Seems pretty dumb to me. And I'd bet that's one of the reasons the iPhone is so successful - Apple controls the OS used in its own devices.

- R.
    04-02-10 07:26 PM
    But that would mean no more support from my carrier.
    Which support? Just have to downgrade to a official OS to get the support back(for warranty reparation). For software bug and all the rest stay on Crackberry.com, cause most of the time reps are dumb(i know what I'm talking about, I was one).

I never had hardware issues on ANY of my bb. An software ones can be fixed with OS upgrade/reinstall... So I never needed support from my carrier.
    04-02-10 07:33 PM
    My Storm was a dog with the 4/.76 OS it was released with in Nov/08. It got marginally better with the 4/.122 upgrade Telus released in spring/09. No more upgrades since even though virtually all the other carriers had released multiple upgrades, with the final one taking the Storm to 5.x.

Yet all the user comments I've read indicate a Storm with 5.x is like a new phone - and so would be way more popular.

Now I have a Telus Storm 2 with 5.0.0.320 and am having problems with voice command inaccuracy. The solution apparently is to upgrade the OS - the comment is that .419 significantly improves bluetooth accuracy and clarity. But that would mean no more support from my carrier.

The bottom line : carriers are controlling the popularity and user experience on RIM's devices. RIM's business arrangements are shooting its business results in the foot.

Why does RIM allow this? Seems pretty dumb to me. And I'd bet that's one of the reasons the iPhone is so successful - Apple controls the OS used in its own devices.

- R.
    because RIM would have to do more extensive testing if they want to be charge of releasing OS. Also how many devices have to develope/control/update. Basically 1, RIM has 15+ active BBs they are still supporting for the most part and some on 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 ad 5.0

I agree it would be better if RIM had more say but the carriers still have to be heavily involved in the process
    04-02-10 07:36 PM
    Run a leak and downgrade when/if you need to return the device.
    If you are reading this forum, you already have better device support than any carrier will give you.

I dumped .320 as soon as I could. What came on the S2 was actually behind the OS upgrade for the S1 in the same timeframe.
    04-02-10 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD