Why do I have to turn on GPS when I go to use VZ Nav or other GPS-based apps?

It would be very convenient if either it was an option that you could set within the app ("Turn on GPS when app starts") or a box pops up that says "Do you want to turn GPS on?" And of course when I exit the app, it also turns off GPS.

Granted, I'm not a programmer and I'm guessing that this isn't as simple as it seems, but hey -- you never know!!!
    09-30-10 06:16 AM
    i dont know whether or not you use QuickLaunch, but the latest version has a GPS toggle option so you can just hit that and it goes through all the steps to turn on/off the GPS for you.
    09-30-10 08:25 AM
    Why do you turn GPS off? +1 to QL
    09-30-10 08:30 AM
    Well dont know about OP, but I spend alot of my time in the in areas with bad signals, so if GPS is searching all the time it is a battery killer.
    09-30-10 08:48 AM
    Leaving the GPS on drains the battery. I only use GPS-enabled apps occasionally so it doesn't pay to leave it on (same with blu-tooth). I'm surprised that the app just doesn't turn it onj/off upon launching/exiting.
    09-30-10 11:32 AM
    I leave mine all the time without battery issues. BT on the other hand ...
    09-30-10 11:33 AM
    Same experience here. GPS doesn't kill the battery, Bluetooth / WiFi does! Also low or no coverage from your carrier drains drains DRAINS the battery within hours
    09-30-10 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD