OK, I'm starting to get sick and tired of seeing person after person ask the same old tired question of why DM or Loader.exe won't let them install an OS they want after installing the exe and deleting the vendor.xml file.

So, here's the answer...

WHEN YOU INSTALL DESKTOP MANAGER, MAKE SURE YOU CLEAR THE CHECKMARKS AND OPTIONS THAT ALLOWS IT TO CHECK FOR UPDATES ON ITS OWN. Uncheck/disable all those options and you won't have anymore issues. No more unplugging from the web and such other BS. Then from there on ALWAYS use the following process.

Start with your Blackberry unplugged from your PC.

1) Uninstall ALL past OS exes from your PC via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. (this may or may not apply to all users)

2) Plug in your BB and let the drivers load.

3) Go into DM and run a manual Backup of the phone data.

4) Close DM out first.

5) Unplug the BB from the PC.

6) Run the new OS exe you want installed and let it install.

7) Plug in the BB and let the drivers load.

8) Delete the vendor.xml file from the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader directory.

8a) Delete any other .cod files you don't want to load on your BB. I usually delete the 2 files that pertain to the sample wallpapers. (THIS IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL.)

9) Run the Loader.exe program from the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader directory.

10) Let Loader.exe install the OS on your BB until it finishes. (This will be a waiting process until it finishes.)
    boodie, Guatiao, alex20 and 1 others like this.
    02-11-10 04:39 PM
    You know what's great about this? It will be completely ignored like the hundreds of other posts-threads just like it!

LOL
    02-11-10 04:51 PM
    mayb so but i think i willl ask PK to put this somewhere in the stickies
    02-11-10 05:07 PM
    Excellent!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    02-11-10 05:15 PM
    One caveat re Step 1. If you are going to uninstall the old OS's, be sure you at least have the exe of your current OS available for re-installation if the upgrade goes badly. Carriers typically only keep the current OS on their website, and older versions can be hard to find.
    02-11-10 05:17 PM
    Thanks Civic, from now on when the question arises this will be in my bookmarks. We see it numerous times during releases and leaks.
    02-11-10 05:25 PM
    Yea we can sticky this
    02-11-10 05:26 PM
    One caveat re Step 1. If you are going to uninstall the old OS's, be sure you at least have the exe of your current OS available for re-installation if the upgrade goes badly. Carriers typically only keep the current OS on their website, and older versions can be hard to find.
    Very true... I guess since I keep a directory on my hd with ALL past exe OS installs I expect as much of others as well.
    02-11-10 06:09 PM
    I move the old ones to a secondary hard drive.
    02-11-10 06:24 PM
    gud thread...hope people will stop asking these questions...
    02-11-10 06:54 PM
    Yea we can sticky this
    I'd suggest adding this thread as a sticky for all BlackBerry model discussions. It works for any BlackBerry, not just the Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-10 12:16 AM
    Ok so I think I am prepared for the storm I am about to start by asking this. I have followed these instructions to the letter. I have deleted the vendor file, I have run the loader file and I still can not get the new software to load onto my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can handle the "your an *****" and the "this is posted everywhere" comments, but please leave some helpful comments too. Thanks in advance.
    02-12-10 10:15 AM
    Ok so I think I am prepared for the storm I am about to start by asking this. I have followed these instructions to the letter. I have deleted the vendor file, I have run the loader file and I still can not get the new software to load onto my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can handle the "your an *****" and the "this is posted everywhere" comments, but please leave some helpful comments too. Thanks in advance.
    Pin, or PM me if be glad to help!
    02-12-10 01:04 PM
    A very helpful thread. Thank you very much!
    02-12-10 06:44 PM
    I have followed this guide exactly to install os 5.0 on my Bold 9000, but Application Loader still will not recognise the os update. If I manually navigate Application Loader to the relevant file, an error message appears stating that this update is not compatibile with my device.

Can anyone help me resolve this please?
    02-15-10 10:44 AM
    I have followed this guide exactly to install os 5.0 on my Bold 9000, but Application Loader still will not recognise the os update. If I manually navigate Application Loader to the relevant file, an error message appears stating that this update is not compatibile with my device.

Can anyone help me resolve this please?
    Then you haven't followed the writeup correctly. You've overlooked something... most likely the fact that you've installed DM with the option to check for updates automatically, which I indicated that it MUST NOT be installed in such a manner.
    02-15-10 10:45 AM
    Then you haven't followed the writeup correctly. You've overlooked something... most likely the fact that you've installed DM with the option to check for updates automatically, which I indicated that it MUST NOT be installed in such a manner.
    Actually, I had this same issue no matter what I tried. I think it's a Windows 7 64-bit issue with permissions, etc. I would run the update the same way in a Win XP VM and it would detect the OS fine. For some reason, will not work in Windows 7 64-bit. I've uninstalled DM, re-installed (I've never had it check for updates) and even uninstalled/reinstalled the OS numberous times while messing around with the permission. I think it stems from the fact that the OS files are being installed in the separate (x86) programs folder. Maybe someone has insight into this, as I'm not sure what the issue is.

Also, when I run with administrative rights, loader.exe won't even recognize my pin... really weird. :/
    02-15-10 09:48 PM
    Actually, I had this same issue no matter what I tried. I think it's a Windows 7 64-bit issue with permissions, etc. I would run the update the same way in a Win XP VM and it would detect the OS fine. For some reason, will not work in Windows 7 64-bit. I've uninstalled DM, re-installed (I've never had it check for updates) and even uninstalled/reinstalled the OS numberous times while messing around with the permission. I think it stems from the fact that the OS files are being installed in the separate (x86) programs folder. Maybe someone has insight into this, as I'm not sure what the issue is.

Also, when I run with administrative rights, loader.exe won't even recognize my pin... really weird. :/
    I am running 64-bit Windows 7, and the instructions in this thread work for me. When I installed DM, I selected for it to not check for updates.
    02-15-10 09:51 PM
    I am running 64-bit Windows 7, and the instructions in this thread work for me. When I installed DM, I selected for it to not check for updates.
    I've used 64-bit as well without issues. It's not magic... if it's not working, you've missed a step.
    02-15-10 11:09 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to fully explain the sometimes confusing process.

02-15-10 11:35 PM
    Yeah, I've done that... not sure why it won't see the OS :/

Okay, I'm sure my computer was being ********. After 3 restarts, and finally getting it to detect the usb connection when run as an administrator, it detects the update. Otherwise, nothing when not run as administrator.
    Last edited by Kill3r.Conc3ptz; 02-16-10 at 06:21 AM.
    02-16-10 05:59 AM
    Yeah, I've done that... not sure why it won't see the OS :/

Okay, I'm sure my computer was being ********. After 3 restarts, and finally getting it to detect the usb connection when run as an administrator, it detects the update. Otherwise, nothing when not run as administrator.
    You have some issues with your PC then.
    02-16-10 09:23 AM
    You have some issues with your PC then.
    I figured... I got a MS Update patch pushed the night before and noticed this issue since then. I loaded up about 50 leaks on the Storm 1 and even currently, the last two OS installs were done flawlessly on the Storm 2. Maybe it's something to look for, I guess...
    02-16-10 09:46 AM
    Cool this seems very useful

02-17-10 06:31 PM
    great tip, just 1 problem though, i still cant get it to run. DM is installed without checking for updates and i have no previous rev od OS on my pc. I have followed instructions and still nothing. 1 Q - when you say plug in BB and wait fro drivers to install what exactly should happen here? when i plug in my BB it just opens up a screen as if i have plugged in a USB. help would be appreciated ( ps... yes i am very very new to BB) thnx
    02-18-10 09:51 AM
96 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD