184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Downgraded Just Fine

124 67.39%
  • Did Not Work

27 14.67%
  • Dunno What I'm Doing!

33 17.93%
    Greetings Ben,

Not sure about the matrix but CX has a sticky with all the Official Releases in the OS sub forums.

I think beta releases can be found with a search of this sub forum.

Hi Rooster,

Great guide for the crest fallen like myself who thought we had found an OS which made the Storm bearable (V0.90) but after a few promising days of happiness have been hit by the dreaded "unable to create" loop rendering the phone totally useless.

I'm just using your guide right now to downgrade to 0.78 (I'm on the 9500) which has ton's of performance issues but is at least stable.

I've heard a lot about different versions between .78 and .90 but don't know anything about them. Has anyone published a comparison matrix showing the benefits and drawbacks of each OS version and perhaps a link to where each can be downloaded?

Such a matrix (one for the 9500 and one for the 9530) would be a great resource and definintely worth stickying.
    01-26-09 03:03 PM
    So, I'm trying to downgrade from .90 to .75, and have followed all the appropriate steps. For some reason, DM doesnt recognize that Im running .90, so it says updates unavailable. Ive uninstalled .90 from my computer, and done the updates to .75, so that shouldnt be the issue. What gives? This is on a 9530. And, yes, my phone says Im running .90. It looks like Im stuck with .90 until DM recognizes what version Im on!!! Any help would be appreciated.
    I believe (been a while since I put this together) that there is a pic to an alternate method of installing an OS thru the loader.exe file in the app loader folder.

Find that folder here (if using vista) c > programs files> Common Files > Research in Motion
    01-26-09 03:05 PM
    I have tried this route as well (the App Loader), and all that comes in the download screen are the apps I have downloaded to the phone. There are no references to any OS, and when I go ahead and complete the process nothing occurs because those apps are already on the phone.
    01-26-09 03:39 PM
    I Have deleated all my os versions and reinstalled .86 (because it seemed much more stable then .90) except that after I select .86 and it gets to the screen where it says 'options' It doesnt say "Select Options to install the older software"... or whatever....

I tried to use the loader but the first 2 folders are SHADED so that probably means they are not getting installed right...??
    01-26-09 04:46 PM
    OMG thankyou for posting how to do this. OS version .90 for my phone was horrible. I had way to many problems and I freaked out and did not know how to downgrade. So this was a huge help for me thankyou!!!!!

Joe.
    01-26-09 06:29 PM
    I Have deleated all my os versions and reinstalled .86 (because it seemed much more stable then .90) except that after I select .86 and it gets to the screen where it says 'options' It doesnt say "Select Options to install the older software"... or whatever....

I tried to use the loader but the first 2 folders are SHADED so that probably means they are not getting installed right...??
    You have to make sure that you have show all folders selected instead of hide folders under folder options. Also make sure that you are also running as the admin if you are using vista
    01-26-09 06:35 PM
    I have tried this route as well (the App Loader), and all that comes in the download screen are the apps I have downloaded to the phone. There are no references to any OS, and when I go ahead and complete the process nothing occurs because those apps are already on the phone.
    Can you check your phone for the OS you are now running? Options > About > third line down.

The OS is not shown in the update software screen. The name of the files being installed are of course the same. If you uninstalled your unwanted OSes and then reinstalled only the OS you want to downgrade to, then that is what should have been installed on your phone.
    01-26-09 06:39 PM
    You have to make sure that you have show all folders selected instead of hide folders under folder options. Also make sure that you are also running as the admin if you are using vista
    I'm having the same problem and it isn't to do with any windows folder, so the "hide folders" option won't change anything. When you get to the list of applications to install, the old OS updates are listed but are "grayed" out and you cannot select or do anything with them. That whole "select options" line that is on the Pic just isn't there, and I've hit every "options" list in the Desktop Manager to no avail.

I'm using XP but I wouldn't think that would change the process at all ... unless it made it better, Vista suxxor lol amiright?
    01-27-09 07:44 AM
    Thanks for the help Rooster with the downgrade. I was able to go back to .75 an OS that works the new .90 sucked big time. It requires you to bat pull to many times. It's not worth the trouble.
    01-27-09 08:35 AM
    I'm having the same problem and it isn't to do with any windows folder, so the "hide folders" option won't change anything. When you get to the list of applications to install, the old OS updates are listed but are "grayed" out and you cannot select or do anything with them. That whole "select options" line that is on the Pic just isn't there, and I've hit every "options" list in the Desktop Manager to no avail.

I'm using XP but I wouldn't think that would change the process at all ... unless it made it better, Vista suxxor lol amiright?
    This describes my situation perfectly! Im hoping the next release will be better, cause it looks like there is no going back to .75 in the immediate future.
    01-27-09 10:16 AM
    It's really weird when I uninstalled a device software and after I look the directory, I got again some files and dir, how do you explain that ? I'm under vista.
    01-27-09 12:39 PM

Hey, so if you only have one OS installed on your computer as recommended in the OP, then there is only one OS that DM can install. They are greyed out bc you HAVE to install the core applications. You dont choose the OS from there. You make sure that there is only one OS to install in the first place.

Also, just in case, make sure you are using the update software options and not application loader.

Good luck and lemme know how it goes.
    01-27-09 07:10 PM
    This describes my situation perfectly! Im hoping the next release will be better, cause it looks like there is no going back to .75 in the immediate future.
    It's really weird when I uninstalled a device software and after I look the directory, I got again some files and dir, how do you explain that ? I'm under vista.
    I certainly cant be sure whats going on as I cant look at your computers. I suspect that there is some user error here. Something that has been overlooked.

GreyDad, I inquired a few posts ago about you checking your phone and seeing what OS is on it.

This downgrade process is really simple if you know a bit or two about computers and phones.

Sorry you all havent been successful and are stuck with a beat OS.
    01-27-09 07:14 PM
    Thanks Rooster for the informative post! This is why I crackberry is my favorite site, great information and how to's.

I just downgraded from .90 to .75 tired of the lockups.
    01-27-09 07:41 PM
    Hey, so if you only have one OS installed on your computer as recommended in the OP, then there is only one OS that DM can install. They are greyed out bc you HAVE to install the core applications. You dont choose the OS from there. You make sure that there is only one OS to install in the first place.

Also, just in case, make sure you are using the update software options and not application loader.

Good luck and lemme know how it goes.
    I did uninstall all the other OS's, so that would explain the graying out, and now I'm going to go bury my head in the sand.

Thanks for your help!
    01-27-09 08:00 PM
    i deleted older OS and i still get a message at the update summary screen telling me there are no software updates required for your device?? helpp
    01-29-09 10:20 PM
    Very nice post. I will be using it when I get home since .90 is not working out for me. Thanks.
    01-30-09 04:01 AM
    i deleted older OS and i still get a message at the update summary screen telling me there are no software updates required for your device?? helpp
    Ignore this message and hit options to the right of this message to install anyway.
    01-30-09 02:00 PM
    Thanks for this info. I getting a new storm because I had a few problems and I need to return the old one that I upgraded but then down graded back to .75 Is there anyway for verizon to tell that I "hacked" or upgraded it even if I restored it back to .75??? Thanks!
    01-30-09 05:38 PM
    Awesome post. Just saved me from .90 ****!
    01-30-09 07:56 PM
    Thanks for this info. I getting a new storm because I had a few problems and I need to return the old one that I upgraded but then down graded back to .75 Is there anyway for verizon to tell that I "hacked" or upgraded it even if I restored it back to .75??? Thanks!
    Some one please answer! I have to send it back soon
    01-31-09 05:55 PM
    Verizon can't tell and most likely wouldn't even care. there have been posts on here from people who got refurbs with .85 already on it. Alot of people just sent them back in with leaked OS's and noting happened.
    01-31-09 06:56 PM
    Thank you!
    01-31-09 08:17 PM
    Thanks for the instruct, it was easy to follow and I needed to downgrade badly, after I reached half battery life the beta upgrade would start hanging up and just doing allot of weird things, to the point where I had to pull the battery to unfreeze it. I will wait for the official release of 4.7.0.90
    01-31-09 08:54 PM
    No, no one can tell bc installing a leaked OS is not a hack. I would, however, downgrade if for nothing else other than to err of the side of caution.
    02-01-09 04:28 AM
128 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD