• Downgraded Just Fine

124 67.39%
  • Did Not Work

27 14.67%
  • Dunno What I'm Doing!

33 17.93%
    Should this be a sticky?
    01-07-09 02:02 PM
    Nice job. This should help quite a few people.
    01-07-09 03:29 PM
    Nice write up Rooster.. You were a great help the other day and gave me the alternate step when DM did not work. After that I had zero issues at all! For some people it can be frustrating because even when following everything they have read down to the T some "bizare" things happen.. (DM not working)
    01-07-09 04:08 PM
    Thanks for this. BTW...for those of you who forgot to remove the old software through control panel like me the first time and then accidentally went back to .85 this threads for you! Thanks Rooster!
    01-09-09 09:36 AM
    thanks, is backing up 3rd party apps required? arent they backed up in the "device backup" done in desktop manager?

is it if you want to back them up seperate?

i dont see a step for restoring them in your guide, so i am assuming its not needed?
    01-15-09 07:30 PM
    a full back up restores my 3rd party apps, yes.
    01-15-09 07:37 PM
    Rooster, thanks. great job!! That's is what this web site is all about, Help each other!!
    01-15-09 07:42 PM
    This post is the best! it helped me remove problematic .86 which was a weekend killer! Storm users unite!
    01-20-09 04:03 PM
    You made the bigtime Roo and got stickied! Congrats!
    01-20-09 11:20 PM
    I followed the steps and the old OS doesn't want to uninstall. I have to send this phone back for a guy I know and it needs .75. I tried "downgrading" to .75 and it just comes up with the application list, for whatever reason. It doesn't give me an option to install .75. I must be missing something here...

I think I actually got it. Thanks Roost
    Last edited by Tippo; 01-22-09 at 09:58 AM.
    01-22-09 09:49 AM
    I followed the steps and the old OS doesn't want to uninstall. I have to send this phone back for a guy I know and it needs .75. I tried "downgrading" to .75 and it just comes up with the application list, for whatever reason. It doesn't give me an option to install .75. I must be missing something here...

I think I actually got it. Thanks Roost
    Check your phone under options > about. What does it say on the third line down?
    01-22-09 12:39 PM
    What if I just want to re-install my existing OS (.90)? I've heard some people report they get better results the second time around.

Do I need to revert back to .75 and then install .90, or can I just go through software update without downgrading?

Thanks.
    01-23-09 07:51 AM
    What if I just want to re-install my existing OS (.90)? I've heard some people report they get better results the second time around.

Do I need to revert back to .75 and then install .90, or can I just go through software update without downgrading?

Thanks.
    Not that I recommend this, but a wipe and a reinstall seems like the best route. Don's sticky has a link to the wipe guide.

What I would recommend is letting the OS settle a bit and warm up before making any hasty decisions.

Good Luck!
    01-23-09 09:36 AM
    Not that I recommend this, but a wipe and a reinstall seems like the best route. Don's sticky has a link to the wipe guide.

What I would recommend is letting the OS settle a bit and warm up before making any hasty decisions.

Good Luck!
    It definitely has gotten better throughout the course of the day today. But yesterday was not good.

I got the Media Card Inserted SOD for the first time ever, and it happened in the middle of the night with my phone on Bedside mode - not a nice wake up call.

Weatherbug has been acting weird, and i'm still getting the spining clock WAY more than i expected with this OS.

Anyway, as i mentioned, it is getting better and I'm not looking to downgrade, but i figured perhaps another install would have it running even quicker.
    Last edited by DBC17; 01-23-09 at 09:55 AM.
    01-23-09 09:50 AM
    I loaded the .90 upgrade and was not happy with the results and had no luck restoring to my old os, that was until I did a search and found your great post! Great job and thanks for all the help! I really appreciate getting my storm back to normal.
    Thanks again!
    01-24-09 09:04 AM
    i installed 90 on the 9530 and am thinking of installing leaked version .85 do i follow these same steps, even though .85 is not an official release
    01-24-09 09:58 AM
    i installed 90 on the 9530 and am thinking of installing leaked version .85 do i follow these same steps, even though .85 is not an official release
    just replacce 85 with the downgrade OS in the steps in the first post. That's it!
    01-24-09 03:39 PM
    Will a downgrade work if ur phone just stays on a black screen... I can her my calls and my txt come thru but i cant see nothing...i'm running the new os 90
    01-24-09 07:57 PM
    Will a downgrade work if ur phone just stays on a black screen... I can her my calls and my txt come thru but i cant see nothing...i'm running the new os 90
    I dont see why not. You have the verizon screen freeze? Try it and post back your findings please.
    01-24-09 08:52 PM
    The files and the directory are always there so after I installed the new OS but I want to know if it is normal that the files + directory are there ??
    01-25-09 11:21 AM
    The files and the directory are always there so after I installed the new OS but I want to know if it is normal that the files + directory are there ??
    In the RIM folder? If you uninstall, there should not be any files there. Once you reinstall the OS you want to downgrade to then those files should be there, yes.
    01-25-09 11:32 AM
    And there is C:\common files\RIM\... ? exact ?
    01-26-09 08:12 AM
    Hi Rooster,

Great guide for the crest fallen like myself who thought we had found an OS which made the Storm bearable (V0.90) but after a few promising days of happiness have been hit by the dreaded "unable to create" loop rendering the phone totally useless.

I'm just using your guide right now to downgrade to 0.78 (I'm on the 9500) which has ton's of performance issues but is at least stable.

I've heard a lot about different versions between .78 and .90 but don't know anything about them. Has anyone published a comparison matrix showing the benefits and drawbacks of each OS version and perhaps a link to where each can be downloaded?

Such a matrix (one for the 9500 and one for the 9530) would be a great resource and definintely worth stickying.
    01-26-09 01:35 PM
    So, I'm trying to downgrade from .90 to .75, and have followed all the appropriate steps. For some reason, DM doesnt recognize that Im running .90, so it says updates unavailable. Ive uninstalled .90 from my computer, and done the updates to .75, so that shouldnt be the issue. What gives? This is on a 9530. And, yes, my phone says Im running .90. It looks like Im stuck with .90 until DM recognizes what version Im on!!! Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by GreyDad76; 01-26-09 at 02:30 PM.
    01-26-09 02:16 PM
    And there is C:\common files\RIM\... ? exact ?
    If you are using vista the address (as shown in the OP) is c > programs files> Common Files > Research in Motion
    01-26-09 03:01 PM
128 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD