This question is for those who have owned a phone before their storm2 or currently use another phone. My storm2 is my first smartphone so I don't have anything to compare it to. However battery life is important to me and I want to have an idea of how the storm2 stacks up to other blackberries and other platforms (iphone, android, palm).

While android is appealing to me, I wonder if it sacrifices battery life for better specs and performance.
    11-14-10 02:43 PM
    I can only compare to the iPhone 3G from personal experience, and the Storm is far superior. Plus it can use extended batteries if you are like me and can't put your phone down. My friends with the iPhone 4 claim the battery life is massively improved over the 3G and 3G(s)...probably better than the Storm.

I can't speak for all Android devices, but I can tell you that the HTC EVO apparently has horrendous battery life, according to a friend of mine. It's so bad that she unplugs it in the morning, rides the bus to work, and the first thing she does when she gets to work is plug it in again.

As for other BB's, I would expect the Storm to be better than the Torch. power draw should be similar between the two, but the Storm has a larger battery. The Bold line is probably the best since they have large batteries and small screens. I don't have any direct experience with these though.

All in all, I think the Storm2 is probably an average performer in battery life.
    DGBBOX likes this.
    11-14-10 03:21 PM
    My Droid clocked at 1.1GHz is on par with my storm, depend on what I'm accessing at the time. Flash proves its bloat depending on the website being visited. This said, one has to keep in mind, an Android phone, or iPhone's capability over a storm 2. If you just communicate, then things should be moot.
    11-14-10 03:51 PM
    I have no complaints with battery life on an s2....its almost as good as my curve 8330 was. I use mine pretty hard each day and I always have 30% or more left at night before bed.

I know the iPhone battery life is good...but the droid incredible is a different story. Other droids seem ok, but the incredible sucks up the battery in a big way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-10 08:37 PM
    On my S2, I get about 12 hours out of it, realistically. With my DX undervolted, I can go 12 hours and still have 50-60% left. Then again, on the DX, data sync is off, brightness is down, etc...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-10 02:13 AM
    complete garbage compared to my 9530, but tolerable. I am getting About 8 hours, low to moderate use. my 9530 would be at about 40-50% with the moderate use during the same time period. Heavy use would tilt the scale even more towards the 9530. I blame Piezo technology, but again being that I have a cradle at home, work and a charger in the car, I can deal.
    11-15-10 09:08 AM
    ^^ Seems kinda odd, with the addition of wifi i get much better life on my storm 2 over the storm 1.

My incredible is about as good as my storm 2 on typical days. maybe a little less on a heavy day. But the incredible does have worse life for some that dont have any clue what to do with the phone
    11-15-10 09:34 AM
    Right, Matt. I think if I took out all my widgets from all seven from my screens, I think my Droid - now running an ultra low voltage kernel, would get better usage stats.
    11-15-10 10:21 AM
    My S2 battery life kicks **** over my DINC. That is why the DINC is on it's way to Texas. I am so happy to be back to a Blackberry.
    11-15-10 02:24 PM
    Well, that's the issue, BBBandit. It's been known HTC devices don't really have the greatest battery life. But, as Matt alluded, it's about knowing how to get the most out of your phone (via rooting it).

I can live with the battery life on my Droid because it's very manageable. If, for whatever reason, I can swap batteries, and it wouldn't be a pain since my boot up time is so short, and I mean short, when contrasted against my old S2. I think it averages 20 seconds, or less.
    11-15-10 02:39 PM
    lssanjose,

Ya from all the reading I did when I had the DINC I know it is a common issue. I also rooted the phone, and was just comfortable messing with Roms, Kernels, and all that other stuff. Decided i would go back to what I was comfortable with. I have been a BB user for 6yrs. I know that it is not very long, but enough time for me to realize I missed it after only 3 months.
    11-15-10 02:53 PM
    Does anyone else read the listed "talk" and "standby" times for battery usage for smartphones and think its complete BS?
    11-15-10 03:56 PM
    yes they are mostly BS because to achieve that you have to strip it down severely with nothing running at all to achieve it
    11-15-10 05:59 PM
    Agreed. But, as the case with smart phones, they have background processes/services running, picking at the battery little by little.
    11-15-10 06:35 PM
    Mine was pretty good once the battery got charged 5 or 6 times. Before that it was kinda short
    11-16-10 06:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD