I really love this app but there are no courses in my area. Does anyone know how to do this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 01:21 PM
    Go here and follow the instructions. You have to have played the course, so you know which hole is which.

If you go to Star Caddy, you can get enough free info to fill in what you can't recall.
    03-16-09 01:52 PM
    hey whered you download that app? and is it free?
    03-16-09 01:55 PM
    Yes, it's free and you get it from here.
    03-16-09 01:56 PM
    thanks. and does it have every course or do you have to play the course first.
    03-16-09 01:58 PM
    It doesn't have many courses but it only takes about 20 minutes to add a course from your computer.
    03-16-09 02:02 PM
    thanks. and does it have every course or do you have to play the course first.
    Depends on where you live - if anyone else has mapped the course, then it is there for you to use. Otherwise, you map it and you (and anyone else) can use the mapping. Although you can map from the course, I much prefer mapping sitting at my computer using GoogleEarth so that I can concentrate on playing rather than running around every hole trying to map the darn thing.

Also, many courses have the scorecard with maps available online - you can use the course map to orient yourself and map out a course you've never played. I've done this twice this spring - the added advantage is that you are already familiar with the course before you even set foot on it!
    03-16-09 05:38 PM
    I had started an explanation about mapping earlier, but then got busy with work. But here is what I had already written out:

It's actually pretty simple once you get going, so don't be afraid - just try it!

...ok, I'll try to be a bit more helpful than that...

Go to bbgpsgolf.com on your computer (NOT from your Storm!)
    On the left side, select "Add a course"
    Fill in the info - he now has instructions on how to find the latitude and longitute coordinates to input on the "add golf course" info page. Even though it is optional, do it, because then the program will bring you to the right place immediately when you start mapping.

Now, the rest I haven't done in a while, but basically when you hit "create new course" you will find yourself with the ability to map each hole. The mapping is done via a simple click to place markers - Your first 4 clicks will place a marker for the tees, the front of the green, the middle of the green, and the back of the green (in that order). You can move the markers around after you place them if you need to. You can then also place markers for 4 or 5? hazards and name them accordingly.
    Good luck
    03-16-09 05:40 PM
    Go here and follow the instructions. You have to have played the course, so you know which hole is which.

If you go to Star Caddy, you can get enough free info to fill in what you can't recall.
    This is not true, I mapped 4 courses 2 weeks ago that I had never played before until last week.

I just used Google Maps and the scorecard on the course's site to figure the layout out. You can pretty easily pick up the cart path between holes on Google Maps.
    03-16-09 07:09 PM
    This is not true, I mapped 4 courses 2 weeks ago that I had never played before until last week.

I just used Google Maps and the scorecard on the course's site to figure the layout out. You can pretty easily pick up the cart path between holes on Google Maps.
    That's assuming the course has their information published online and/or that the course layout hasn't changed since your online source was last updated. For instance, the course in my area recently switched the front 9 and back 9. If I were to have blindly followed the online score card information as you suggest, all of the info in the BBGPS program would be wrong.
    03-17-09 12:43 AM
    That's assuming the course has their information published online and/or that the course layout hasn't changed since your online source was last updated. For instance, the course in my area recently switched the front 9 and back 9. If I were to have blindly followed the online score card information as you suggest, all of the info in the BBGPS program would be wrong.

If that does happen then all the person would need to do is drop me an email and I can change it on the backend in no time. One of the things things about this is that when ever you make an update, it is updated. No need to wait a day, week or month for that update to happen.

Also here are a few more tips to help map out courses:
    1. Custom Golf Course Scorecards - Create A Custom Golf Scorecard For Your Favorite Course
      • I use this if I can find a course layout. with this you can use Google Maps and click on the "My Maps" link, and then click the "Distance Measur ement Tool" and then click "I'm feeling geeky" link and then change the drop down to Yards/Meters. This will help you get the distance of a hole if you have never played it before. This does take a lot of time, but I have stop taking on users request because of the web interface I created, and I could not keep up with the doman and working on the web site and BlackBerry Application.

1. StarCaddy Course Maps
      • This was already added above but I also use this to help me find the course layout if they have it mapped out.

1. Google
      • If you can find the course layout on the courses web site. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a nice PDF file of the layout, and that also helps.
    03-17-09 09:03 AM
    Yes, very true. I didn't think of that.

I just wanted to make sure that people were aware that if the course hasn't made any recent changes, that it was still possible to map a course that you have never played. As I said, I did it for four courses a couple weeks ago successfully.
    03-17-09 10:10 AM
    thank everyone for their feedback. Albert, huge help. You should write a how to on it. That would be great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD