Ok i received my first replacement storm the other day. The first one had dust everywhere under the glass even though i am very careful about it. also it was very slow and glitchy. My new phone came in a blackberry box, not the standard referb boxes. It has a battery included like the new ones, only difference is a sticker stuck over the skew that reads.. "FRUBB(9530)". Does this mean its refurbished?! I notice this ones made in mexico and my original was made in Canada. this one holds up good to the dust but has other problems. it resets every 2 hrs or so, and the screen is so loose i can hear it rattle when its on the center console of my truck driving. Ive about had it with this phone. I really like the phones features but it doesnt work at all as smooth or even a tenth as fast as advertised. Any info on the sticker on the box would be helpfull before i go trade this one back in. thanx,
    Luke
    01-20-09 07:48 PM
    Did it coming in the box that it would come in if you were to buy and new one and have all of the accessories and CD's inside of it?
    01-20-09 07:59 PM
    01-20-09 08:00 PM
    thanks for the link. Yes it came in a new complete box, it just had that sticker that smelled like refurbished, and the phone doesnt feel as "tight" as the first one. None of the stores say they have them in stock so they keep shipping new ones. Im going to try and find a store that stocks them to compare. Im in Los Angeles so i figured someone should have one
    01-20-09 08:26 PM
    I work for Verizon Wireless and FRUBB9530 is the SKU for a REFURBISHED STORM. FRU is their "refurbished" code. SOrry to be the bearer of bad news
    01-20-09 08:37 PM
    I work for Verizon Wireless and FRUBB9530 is the SKU for a REFURBISHED STORM. FRU is their "refurbished" code. SOrry to be the bearer of bad news
    Thats what i was afraid of. Better i find out now than later I think it had been about 3 weeks since i recieved my new one till i ordered my replacment. Im going to ask for a new one then
    01-21-09 06:09 PM
    Yes it came in a new complete box, it just had that sticker that smelled like refurbished

What does refurbished smell like? If the device isn't up to par, have them send you another one.
    01-21-09 06:25 PM
    What does refurbished smell like? If the device isn't up to par, have them send you another one.

The phone just felt loose from the get go. Screen really bad.... loose lower 4 buttons... bigger gaps on the sides of the screen. Im just really frustrated that after 3 weeks my new phone is refurbished and i specifically asked that a refurbished unit would not be sufficient. This thing wasnt cheap! I have had horrible dealings with verizon after being a 10 year customer. Unfortunatly they get the best service in my area though
    01-21-09 11:49 PM
    Refurbished...in a Storms case I would say you have a 60% change of it being a WFG from an older person who couldn't handle it or someone from this forum who was upset it appeared a spec of dust got under the screen. SOP is that if your phone is under 30 days old you should have had a new one sent. It it was then you should call back see if the rep will make the situation correct, if not I would ask calmly to speak with a supervisor. From the many threads I have read I can't imagine why you were sent a FRU under 30 days.
    01-21-09 11:55 PM
    Ok i received my first replacement storm the other day. The first one had dust everywhere under the glass even though i am very careful about it. also it was very slow and glitchy. My new phone came in a blackberry box, not the standard referb boxes. It has a battery included like the new ones, only difference is a sticker stuck over the skew that reads.. "FRUBB(9530)". Does this mean its refurbished?! I notice this ones made in mexico and my original was made in Canada. this one holds up good to the dust but has other problems. it resets every 2 hrs or so, and the screen is so loose i can hear it rattle when its on the center console of my truck driving. Ive about had it with this phone. I really like the phones features but it doesnt work at all as smooth or even a tenth as fast as advertised. Any info on the sticker on the box would be helpfull before i go trade this one back in. thanx,
    Luke
    I think 1/10th is a major exaggeration

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 01:15 AM
    As long as they're not trying to SELL refurbs "as new". Made me pull out my box and check the sku
    01-22-09 01:27 AM
    ok just a small fyi for all those wondering about refurb phones and "fru" and "clnr" im here to clear this all up. i work for flextronics. we do the tech support for verizon. ive taken training on this very issue. we DO NOT give out refurbs. we used to. but we havent for about a year or so. the only way you can get a "refurb" phone is if there is a internet special where they will clearly tell you if it is or isnt, or if you go through insurance(it is a 3rd party called asurion and we dont control what they give out). fru stands for field replacement unit. and clnr stands for certified like new replacment. fur and clnr are the same thing. the recently changed the name from fru to clnr because ppl thought fru meant refurb. they are phasing out the fru name. anyways clnrs are not rebuilt in anyway shape or form. the only reason why we cant call them new is because it doesnt come in a new box with a charger cds headphones and all the other junk. ive had my storm replaced and it works waaaay better then my first one did. what happens is when a manufacter makes a pone they make "shells" just the phone.. no battery no charger none of that stuff, along with making the "new" ones that do come with all the new stuff. and they send them out just the same. in most cases the clnr are better then "new" ones because they will always have the updated software. so please dont think you got some reject pos when you see "clnr".
    01-22-09 02:46 AM
    and yes it is possible to get a bad "clnr" just like you could get a bad "new".
    01-22-09 02:47 AM
    ok just a small fyi for all those wondering about refurb phones and "fru" and "clnr" im here to clear this all up. i work for flextronics. we do the tech support for verizon. ive taken training on this very issue. we DO NOT give out refurbs. we used to. but we havent for about a year or so. the only way you can get a "refurb" phone is if there is a internet special where they will clearly tell you if it is or isnt, or if you go through insurance(it is a 3rd party called asurion and we dont control what they give out). fru stands for field replacement unit. and clnr stands for certified like new replacment. fur and clnr are the same thing. the recently changed the name from fru to clnr because ppl thought fru meant refurb. they are phasing out the fru name. anyways clnrs are not rebuilt in anyway shape or form. the only reason why we cant call them new is because it doesnt come in a new box with a charger cds headphones and all the other junk. ive had my storm replaced and it works waaaay better then my first one did. what happens is when a manufacter makes a pone they make "shells" just the phone.. no battery no charger none of that stuff, along with making the "new" ones that do come with all the new stuff. and they send them out just the same. in most cases the clnr are better then "new" ones because they will always have the updated software. so please dont think you got some reject pos when you see "clnr".

what about the guy that posted above that works for verizon? He said that the skew on the box meant refurbished.
    01-22-09 07:47 PM
    Maybe Im old fashioned but I a firmly believe if it comes from the manufacturer and its never been used it's considered new. If the phones been used and regardless of the reason why it's been returned and is resold or used a replacement it's considered refurbished.
    01-22-09 08:18 PM
    what about the guy that posted above that works for verizon? He said that the skew on the box meant refurbished.
    Some of the verizon people will tell you the screen click problem is a software issue...
    I wouldn't put too much stock in that..

This FRU issue has been discussed before... I think the second statement is the correct one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 08:27 PM
    i got a refurbished one in a white box. It works better than my brown boxed "new" replacement.

Its almost like the techs went in and actually fixed a click screen. (maybe the torx screw trick?) whatever, it works. Im pleased with my refurb...

then again, its only been like 4 days. It could crap out on me any time. Whats the life expectancy of a storm? 3 months?
    01-22-09 08:38 PM
    I just received my replacement phone. I also had the sticker over "Proof of Purchase" barcode. The sticker reads "FRUBB9530". The phone has to be new. Came with all of the original accessories, CDs and documentation. Unless they dipped this phone into "super magic cleaning solution" there was not a spec of lint, dust, dirt, dead skin or face oil. Just like the new one from Canada in Nov. I believe the "FRUBB9530" sticker is a new phone. My phone is tight, from Mexico and runs better than the first one. (HOTRODPIRATE) ~ Verizon told me that if we are not satisfied, just keep exchanging the phone until you are satisified. Don't accept something that does not make you feel good about the phone. Like you said, it was not cheap.....exchange for another. Because, when you get that Storm that feels good....you are going to love it!!!!!!
    01-22-09 09:59 PM
    Well even the people at the store are still kinda unclear on the storm. I brought the phone and box, and they said it was indeed new.... then after arguing amongst themselfs came to the conclusion it was referbished, with an explanation. Although i have had the phone for 3 weeks... it was ordered 6 weeks ago. (I ordered from customer service and there was a delay for the holidays). They said verizon went by the date i ordered and paid for it.. ugh. so im stuck with a possible refurb.. who knows.
    I really like the phone and guess ill have to just stay positive and hope for better updates on the software. Im kinda new to smartphones.... i tried the pocket pc back in the day and had a horrible experience.
    im mostly just frustrated with verizon at this point for the way they bait and then treat customers. I cant wait till the rumered law passes for cell providers to not be allowed to charge you early term fees's.
    Ok rant over. Now to search for ways to make this phone run smoother
    01-22-09 10:28 PM
    I just received my replacement phone. I also had the sticker over "Proof of Purchase" barcode. The sticker reads "FRUBB9530". The phone has to be new. Came with all of the original accessories, CDs and documentation. Unless they dipped this phone into "super magic cleaning solution" there was not a spec of lint, dust, dirt, dead skin or face oil. Just like the new one from Canada in Nov. I believe the "FRUBB9530" sticker is a new phone. My phone is tight, from Mexico and runs better than the first one. (HOTRODPIRATE) ~ Verizon told me that if we are not satisfied, just keep exchanging the phone until you are satisified. Don't accept something that does not make you feel good about the phone. Like you said, it was not cheap.....exchange for another. Because, when you get that Storm that feels good....you are going to love it!!!!!!
    Same. Everything I got from my replacement was just like yours. I highly doubt it is refurbed. The only difference and I mean only between a brand one one from a VZW store and this one is the FRUBB9530 sticker on the side of the box. EVERYTHING else is exactly the same, brand new, sealed condition with nothing missing.
    01-23-09 03:19 PM
    Same. Everything I got from my replacement was just like yours. I highly doubt it is refurbed. The only difference and I mean only between a brand one one from a VZW store and this one is the FRUBB9530 sticker on the side of the box. EVERYTHING else is exactly the same, brand new, sealed condition with nothing missing.
    well maby its not. Im just fed up with verizon at this point. Ive been a long time customer with 2 phone lines and they wont help anymore. I had an emergency situation with a family member last night and my phone kept shutting off everytime i restarted it. They dont seem to care but because of this i missed a chance for directions to see a family member for the last time. This is partly my fault since ive been so dependent on the contact lists that i dont have peoples numbers written down or memerized. I am not making this up and i am pissed. Im selling the storm and cancelling my contract. I already purchased 2 iphone for a 30 trial. I hope you other customers can hold out till they get the bugs fixed if they ever do. thanks for the support though, after browsing this site day and night i seem to know more than verizon does about the phone
    I wonder if i can sell to recupe the ETF's. Oh well
    01-23-09 10:31 PM
    well maby its not. Im just fed up with verizon at this point. Ive been a long time customer with 2 phone lines and they wont help anymore. I had an emergency situation with a family member last night and my phone kept shutting off everytime i restarted it. They dont seem to care but because of this i missed a chance for directions to see a family member for the last time. This is partly my fault since ive been so dependent on the contact lists that i dont have peoples numbers written down or memerized. I am not making this up and i am pissed. Im selling the storm and cancelling my contract. I already purchased 2 iphone for a 30 trial. I hope you other customers can hold out till they get the bugs fixed if they ever do. thanks for the support though, after browsing this site day and night i seem to know more than verizon does about the phone
    I wonder if i can sell to recupe the ETF's. Oh well
    Im sure you could sell for around 500+. Should make up the ETF and the purchase price.
    01-24-09 01:03 AM
    Im sure you could sell for around 500+. Should make up the ETF and the purchase price.
    that would be awsome. Just getting close to breaking even would be awsome. The iphone isnt as powerfull as the storm especially for buiness purposses, but for what i need it seems like it will do the job. ill check ebay out to see what they are going for
    01-24-09 01:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD