I just upgraded to 5.0.0.230, and overall I love the OS, but I really can't stand threaded sms. I like to keep all my text messages, so I don't want to delete them all the time, but I'd like texting to be usable!! I'm having a few issues with it:

-When I open a conversation, it doesn't start at the newest message
    -I can't open a specific text from someone
    -for some reason, some texts are coming in blank
    -After a thread gets too long with someone, I can't open it at all! I can't even see the new messages!

Any help with disabling this would be greatly appreciated!
    09-20-09 09:33 PM
    No way to disable. You have to downgrade or suffer. Sorry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-09 09:35 PM
    hmm. i don't think you can disable it.

i think that is the new way of the sms on blackberry.

you could downgrade to 5.0.0.140 or 4.7.0.167 I suppose.
    09-20-09 09:36 PM
    I just upgraded to 5.0.0.230, and overall I love the OS, but I really can't stand threaded sms. I like to keep all my text messages, so I don't want to delete them all the time, but I'd like texting to be usable!! I'm having a few issues with it:

-When I open a conversation, it doesn't start at the newest message
    -I can't open a specific text from someone
    -for some reason, some texts are coming in blank
    -After a thread gets too long with someone, I can't open it at all! I can't even see the new messages!

Any help with disabling this would be greatly appreciated!
    Are you having issues when multiple texts are coming in?
    09-20-09 09:38 PM
    That's why I gave up on .191. They need an "older messages" button like iPhone...

09-20-09 09:41 PM
    i dont think the SMS intergration is complete....remember it was planned to be intergrated into BBM which we have not seen yet. They might have abandoned that idea and what you see now is going to be it for the most part, minus some quircks we see now. Who knows.
    09-20-09 10:02 PM
    i dont think the SMS intergration is complete....remember it was planned to be intergrated into BBM which we have not seen yet. They might have abandoned that idea and what you see now is going to be it for the most part, minus some quircks we see now. Who knows.
    hmmm..i kinda liked it.
    09-20-09 10:50 PM
    Yeah I was looking forward to threaded sms, but if I can't keep my messages indefintely I won't like it. I like being able to go back 6 months and prove I said or didnt say something. Lol. Kinda interesting also if you're bored to go back 6 months and read what you were talking about and with who. Maybe I just need a more exciting life.... lol
    09-20-09 11:23 PM
    Yeah I was looking forward to threaded sms, but if I can't keep my messages indefintely I won't like it. I like being able to go back 6 months and prove I said or didnt say something. Lol. Kinda interesting also if you're bored to go back 6 months and read what you were talking about and with who. Maybe I just need a more exciting life.... lol
    ummm yea you do. lol
    09-20-09 11:45 PM
    i like the concept and am fairly sure the end result will rock...but tomorrow when I get into work I HAVE to downgrade to back to a lyricidal hybrid where FB works and the threaded SMS is no longer.

my main gripe is that you have to constantly find your last txt...reallly annoying. This was my first 5.0 though...looks promising
    09-20-09 11:45 PM
    You can view/delete them separately by selecting Menu/View Folder/SMS Inbox or Outbox

Hope this helps some.

~X

09-21-09 02:38 AM
    You can view/delete them separately by selecting Menu/View Folder/SMS Inbox or Outbox

Hope this helps some.

~X

wow didn't see that one nice find man.
    when you select still goes to the threaded but it's better than nothing.
    09-21-09 03:25 AM
    Are you having issues when multiple texts are coming in?
    Yes, I think that's when I was getting messages I can't read at all.. They would be blank, but I only saw that when I got more than one from a person at once.
    09-21-09 05:33 AM
    Threading is fun but for business it stinks, my office constantly pages me with important info, I dont get to it all right away, with threading its burried in a list of messages...what a pain to have to keep reviewing the thread to look for old messages that still need action
    04-20-10 08:14 AM
    ...what a pain to have to keep reviewing the thread to look for old messages that still need action
    What a pain to have to see resurrected threads that don't need any action.
    04-20-10 08:21 AM
    What a pain to have to see resurrected threads that don't need any action.
    Kinda what threaded SMS does...
    04-20-10 09:27 AM
    Threading is fun but for business it stinks, my office constantly pages me with important info, I dont get to it all right away, with threading its burried in a list of messages...what a pain to have to keep reviewing the thread to look for old messages that still need action
    SMS for business? how bout email. If you really depend on SMS that bad then i would really be worried about how smart the people are at your business
    04-20-10 10:28 AM
    SMS for business? how bout email. If you really depend on SMS that bad then i would really be worried about how smart the people are at your business
    Classic 'Man with a Hammer' syndrome here.

There are a good many reasons why a company might chose SMS over email. There can be a multitude of reasons, cost, speed, existing architecture.

When I worked at HP I was assigned a pager, with text capabilities, for critical work. Instead of having to carry a pager and a phone I had the company route the pager text to my phone. Having to equip everyone with a BB with email just to send a text message is a huge overkill.

So ask yourself what is smarter paying $60+ per person to send a simple text or $9+ and achieve the same result.
    04-20-10 11:07 AM
    what happens if you lose your phone, or drop it and it breaks. Now how you going to read the precious SMS?
    04-20-10 11:29 AM
    There was never any need to go back and read my SMS, I usually deleted them once I received them.

But that wasn't the point, the point was not everything requires a sophisticated solution. like email, sometimes using SMS is the right solution and paying for email just to have isn't smart business.
    04-20-10 11:52 AM
    I am not like the threaded at all so I had to downgrade to the 4.7 but I prefer the 4.7 I had no issues there are too many things I just don't like presently so we will see what goes forward. So for now am content
    04-20-10 01:58 PM
    I am not liking the threaded at all so I had to downgrade to the 4.7 but I prefer the 4.7 I had no issues there are too many things I just don't like presently so we will see what goes forward. So for now am content
    04-20-10 01:59 PM
    I am not liking the threaded at all so I had to downgrade to the 4.7 but I prefer the 4.7 I had no issues there are too many things I just don't like presently so we will see what goes forward. So for now am content
    you downgraded to SO 4.7 because you didnt like the threaded SMS. Maybe you should just look into a different phone besides blackberry then. OS 5 is much better than 4.7 and threaded SMS isnt going to change. Every other phone company actually uses threaded SMS too really
    04-20-10 02:24 PM

I get about 50 emails a day, I cant check them all as soon as I get them, but SMS's are easy to manage and keep track of and usally more urgent. I can also see how many uread texts very easily (before threading) and to me Unread = action required, but i have tons of unread emails all the time....
    04-20-10 03:49 PM
    you downgraded to SO 4.7 because you didnt like the threaded SMS. Maybe you should just look into a different phone besides blackberry then. OS 5 is much better than 4.7 and threaded SMS isnt going to change. Every other phone company actually uses threaded SMS too really
    Actually, downgrading to OS 4.7 is just fine - that's actually my recommendation for those who really don't like threaded SMS. What I hate is when people want the best of both worlds... it doesn't work like that. Either you can have OS 5.0 with threaded SMS, or you can have OS 4.7 without threaded SMS, and without some of the other benefits of OS 5.0.

4.7 worked pretty well and was pretty stable (albeit a bit slower), so there's certainly nothing wrong with downgrading. I just don't like it because I like some of the new features that were added with OS 5.0.

At least that user understood that he can pick what he values more... unthreaded SMS or things like flick-scrolling, etc. I just wish others would get it as well.
    04-20-10 04:44 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD