I don't see any way around there being 5 steps.

1. Green button (Mines set to address book)
    2. Keyboard (either side key, screen button, swipe up, etc.)
    3. Type Name, once found and highlighted...
    4. Green button (don't click the name, you'll get the contacts address book entry which will add two more clicks to get the call made)
    5. Choose what number to dial (Home, Office, Cell, etc.)

No way around this, and this is managable.

What I have a problem with is at step 3 or 4. When you find the contact you want using the keyboard, my opinion is, when you click on the name, you should get the large black box asking for which number to dial, i.e. home, office, cell, etc.
    Instead what you get when you click the name is the address book entry veiw, which you have to click again and choose which number to dial, but not in the larger button style window, but in the small menu style window that is much harder to select.

To get around this, when you find the name you want, highlight it, then click the green button, don't click on the name.

This is nothing new, I'm just saying that it's more intuitive to click on the name when you want to call the person.

It would be nice to have an option to choose the action taken when you click on an address book entry, either, view the contact info, or call the contact.
    Last edited by D_Dog; 12-12-08 at 05:32 PM.
    12-12-08 05:02 PM
    I just found the type of address book view I was talking about.
    If you hit menu while in the phone application, there is a "Call from contacts" type of view, this looks and acts just like the regular address book view, but instead, when you click the name it makes the call with that one click. Or in the case that you have more than one number for that person, you at least get the large black chooser box that makes it easy to choose the right number.

What I'm getting at is... That in the phone app. when you choose the Contacts view, or you set Contacts as the default view... The "Call from Contacts" screen is the one that you should get, not the Find Contacts screen.

I say this should be an option. You should have a choice as to which type of view method you prefer when you go into the Contacts list. Either "Find Contact" mode (which is how it is now) or "Call from Contacts" mode. The latter would be much prefered in my opinion, since 90% of the time you enter the address book mode is to call someone anyway.

Anyone?
    12-12-08 05:51 PM
    This is ridiculous -
    From what I can tell, in order for me to call one of my contacts that isn't on my speed dial list, I have to hit the call button, then select contacts, then select show keyboard, then type the name, then select the phone number, then hit call.
    Is there an option to be able to dial the letters of a contact's name right from the call screen to bypass all this craziness?
    Simple answer: set your left side convenience key to be your "contacts".
    Once that is done, just push the left convenience key, whatever letter(s) for the contact,select client and hold down thay selected clent, then select the "call" funtion. Sounds lie a lot but it's qick and easy. try it!
    12-12-08 08:53 PM
    Actually I agree with M.J.H. (and find the response from 04redgto to be a flamer... this person really needs to be most respectful of what others have to say. Everyone is not always going to agree on every point or priority).

I am a BB power user - the Storm is like my 6th or 7th BB. I know the BB OS's well, and take advantage of many advanced features.

Unlike all of the past BB devices, the UI and design of the Storm is a giant step backwards for core functionality - phone functions, and sending, replying to and editing email and SMS, entering and editing text in places such as browser URL's and passwords (especially blind fields), and editing documents.

I really do want to love the Storm.. but after working with it for 2 weeks, I just can't get past how poor and inefficient it is for the most critical basic functions.
    Last edited by ssax; 12-15-08 at 12:55 PM.
    12-15-08 12:52 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD