What is the easiest/fastest way to diagnose a memory leak? How to figure out WHAT exactly is causing it? Obviously i could sit there and un-install one app at a time and see what stops it, but there must be a better way. here's what i'm running:

Crackman v5.1 over .132 (as of 05 17 09)

I boot up with ~53 and in an hour down to 49 with almost NO use...

Apps:

-Quickpull
    -BB Maps
    -File lock (that i can't get to go past the Password page..)
    -Berry Unit Converter
    -Wrap it up
    -Sexy Dice
    -BB File scout
    -Tone Pad
    -Nav4All
    -Capture it
    -Stop Tilt
    -Storm Slider
    -MP3 Ringtone Creator

Games:

-Sky Climber
    -Berry Labyrynth
    - Tiltris
    -Air Traffic Control
    -Parking Lot

Anyone see a leak? Everything runs VERY fast BTW i was just a bit concerned about this leak..
    05-18-09 10:18 AM
    Really... the only TRUE way to find a memory leak is to start removing the apps one at a time. I don't see any on your list that others have complained of leaking memory.

With that said, I wouldn't consider the loss of 4mb in an hour a memory leak at all. The phone will always need to use some of that app memory to operate... supporting the OS, your personal information (contacts & such), etc. Losing 4mb in an hour is not a memory leak. Losing 15mb in an hour, I might consider it a memory leak. We'll see what others have to say about this.

I think you are concerning yourself with something that shouldn't cause concern.

Are you using a theme other than the stock Zen?
    05-18-09 10:26 AM
    You will have a leak just because the OS is running.

Don't worry about trying to figure out where it is coming from/what is causing it. You will drive yourself crazy.

Just reboot when your memory drops below 20 and go on about your life...
    05-18-09 10:29 AM
    From what I understand, when you go in applications whatever is highlighted is running or open...weatherbug, google maps and quick pull stays highlighted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 10:29 AM
    From what I understand, when you go in applications whatever is highlighted is running or open...weatherbug, google maps and quick pull stays highlighted.

I don't believe that's the case. The highlighted items are those that have modified their permissions.
    05-18-09 10:31 AM
    Since you asked how to diagnose a memory leak, here's the general process.

First, you have to understand that memory levels going down alone is NOT necessarily a memory leak. There are a lot of reasons why this may happen. Memory leaks have a crucial second component, where that memory is never released after it's no longer needed by the app.

So, by and large, there's no real way to diagnose a memory leak without some kind of profiling tool, and enough programming experience to know what you're looking at/for. Even then, without access to the program's source code, it's very difficult to prove that it's "leaking" memory.

It's far from any kind of proof, but if you close an app, and the memory levels haven't increased in 2-3 minutes, you probably have a problem with that particular app. Memory levels may not go back up to the same levels they were at before, but this does NOT mean that the app is leaking memory. It just means the OS has likely cached a bit of the program in case you want to open it again soon. That memory SHOULD be freed up if it's needed at a later time.

Basically, unless you're experiencing some sort of a problem, don't fall into the trap of obsessing over free app memory. Spend your time enjoying your phone, or doing something else you enjoy, not checking free app memory every 5 minutes, and sending your blood pressure up 50 points if it drops by 0.5MB.
    05-18-09 10:45 AM
    Alright I guess its safe to say I'm over obsessing.. Now that I have a better understanding of what a leak actually is, I'm sure I don't have one. I'm not running anything in the background btw.

Thanks guys

05-18-09 11:28 AM
    What is the easiest/fastest way to diagnose a memory leak? How to figure out WHAT exactly is causing it? Obviously i could sit there and un-install one app at a time and see what stops it, but there must be a better way. here's what i'm running:

Crackman v5.1 over .132 (as of 05 17 09)

I boot up with ~53 and in an hour down to 49 with almost NO use...

Apps:

-Quickpull
    -BB Maps
    -File lock (that i can't get to go past the Password page..)
    -Berry Unit Converter
    -Wrap it up
    -Sexy Dice
    -BB File scout
    -Tone Pad
    -Nav4All
    -Capture it
    -Stop Tilt
    -Storm Slider
    -MP3 Ringtone Creator

Games:

-Sky Climber
    -Berry Labyrynth
    - Tiltris
    -Air Traffic Control
    -Parking Lot

Anyone see a leak? Everything runs VERY fast BTW i was just a bit concerned about this leak..
    your leak may be from storm slider. i have it, paid ver., and i uninstalled it because of the slow death.
    05-18-09 11:48 AM
    53 down to 49 in an hour is no memory leak.

The cure for this kind of leak is found by high priced doctors treating you for OCD.....

We need a new app- it will block people from being able to check their memory which will free them to finally just be able to use and enjoy their phone instead of stressing and worrying what that cursed number is doing.
    05-18-09 11:54 AM
    You guys should be so lucky... I boot up with ~25MB free and within an hour I only have ~15MB free. Not running anything wonky either...
    05-18-09 12:06 PM
    You guys should be so lucky... I boot up with ~25MB free and within an hour I only have ~15MB free. Not running anything wonky either...
    2nd'ed.... I've never seen the likes of 50 or 40 something since I began checking. Granted I'm still on .75, which I assume has a lot to do with it.

Even with my BB stripped down of 3rd party programs (for the most part) and running the orig zen this has been the case. Granted I see no appreciable performance difference until it closes down towards 10-12, at which point a reset is imminent.

Damn thing reset at a really inopportune time this past week on vacation. F'ing irritating to say the least.
    05-18-09 12:13 PM
    2nd'ed.... I've never seen the likes of 50 or 40 something since I began checking. Granted I'm still on .75, which I assume has a lot to do with it.

Even with my BB stripped down of 3rd party programs (for the most part) and running the orig zen this has been the case. Granted I see no appreciable performance difference until it closes down towards 10-12, at which point a reset is imminent.

Damn thing reset at a really inopportune time this past week on vacation. F'ing irritating to say the least.
    you are doing a dis service to your self by staying on .75. upgrading and shrinking your OS from stuff you don't use will send your free app memory sky rocketing.
    05-18-09 12:34 PM
    agree with previous posts....

I would kill to have the memory you are quoting....53 to 49 is good....don't do anything!

I'm dropping anywhere from 5 mb to 11 mb in the first 30 minutes after a reset/batt pull....stabilizes back and forth after that, but would love to figure out what's causing that initial loss....

as others have said, rather than worrying too much it's better just to forget about it and not mess with it unless your phone slows....while I love Meterberry, I think it is contributing to the leak-phobia since it is so easy to check memory loss, logs, etc.
    05-18-09 12:51 PM
    You will have a leak just because the OS is running.

Don't worry about trying to figure out where it is coming from/what is causing it. You will drive yourself crazy.

Just reboot when your memory drops below 20 and go on about your life...
    Yeah, Ive heard this same statement by others with rep around here as well. Curious... why is 20 the magic number? Is it like a Gspot or something like one. Hard to find but when you do watch out...
    05-18-09 01:21 PM
    Yeah, Ive heard this same statement by others with rep around here as well. Curious... why is 20 the magic number? Is it like a Gspot or something like one. Hard to find but when you do watch out...
    It's not. People have had their phones running on "fumes" with no ill effects aside from it being a bit more sluggish.

There is no "magic number", it's just some number someone pulled out of their arse and it perpetuated from there. Some people swear that sub-20MB of free app mem results in a severe performance hit, but I'm a tad skeptical myself.
    05-18-09 01:49 PM
    You don't need to reboot until the memory actually drops below 5MB. I finally started having true performance issues below 3MB, and that's it. Some others report that they don't see problems until it dips below 1MB. There's no need to reboot until you see your phone having issues, period.

I agree that we've become memory freaks, constantly watching our memory when using our phones. But here's a bit of a heads up. It usually takes ~2 days and several battery pulls for your memory to settle down after an OS update (this is why I hate when people post memory comments within an hour of updating their OS on their phone with some leak or hybrid version - you need more time to figure out if it's truely going to work well). In addition, losing 10MB in a half hour period some time after boot up is not unusual, so long as it doesn't drop down too low after that. And everytime that little clock spins, the memory levels go up. So a spinning clock, as annoying as it may be, is actually a good thing. I get it whether my phone is at 43MB or at 15MB available memory.

One final comment, if your phone is running entirely out of memory too often, then you likely do have a memory leak. Don't forget to close your applications when you aren't using them, and if you still see a problem, it may be worth while reloading the OS on the phone.
    05-18-09 02:09 PM
    I stopped watching memory because of Meterberry.

Meterberry has reported times when my memory has dropped below 10mb left and I never noticed. By the time I did notice, my phone had recovered 15mb-20mb on its own without a reset and was back to 20mb-30mb.

This phone must me a killer for people with OCD. Between fingerprints on the screen, watching memory like a hawk and worrying over dust / screen issues there's a very happy psychologist out there.

Chillax people. Mine workes fine and the only thing I've yet to do is get it seriously wet (couple splashes of beer). I've even kicked mine (trying to keep it from hitting the cement with my foot: FAIL)
    05-18-09 02:35 PM
    Basically, unless you're experiencing some sort of a problem, don't fall into the trap of obsessing over free app memory. Spend your time enjoying your phone, or doing something else you enjoy, not checking free app memory every 5 minutes, and sending your blood pressure up 50 points if it drops by 0.5MB.
    Downloaded Lyricidal's May 12 updates earlier today. Shrinked OS. Started at 53.2. 3 hours later at 55. I can now die happy (but that could change depending on when I check again immediately after I type this).
    05-18-09 02:49 PM
    Granted I'm still on .75, which I assume has a lot to do with it.
    you are doing a dis service to your self by staying on .75. upgrading and shrinking your OS from stuff you don't use will send your free app memory sky rocketing.
    Appreciated. I'm a skeptic and lazy which led me to just sit on my hands while the leaks came out one after another. Recent turn of events though, i.e. more then a reset a day, means I'll probably do exactly what you mention and soon. Can't stand it zonking out on me at a moment of need.

People have had their phones running on "fumes" with no ill effects aside from it being a bit more sluggish.
    Agreed. I've seen it below 10 and the phone hasn't reacted so decidedly different that I'd notice except that it would, seemingly invariably, reset sometime shortly thereafter. But 20 doesn't seem to be a universal g-spot, if there was one.
    Last edited by Midnight Q; 05-18-09 at 03:03 PM. Reason: clarity.... i have little generally
    05-18-09 03:00 PM
    53 down to 49 in an hour is no memory leak.

The cure for this kind of leak is found by high priced doctors treating you for OCD.....

We need a new app- it will block people from being able to check their memory which will free them to finally just be able to use and enjoy their phone instead of stressing and worrying what that cursed number is doing.
    thats to funny. i need that app, cause every 5 minutes im checkin mine! LOL!! no but in all seriousness im runnin the hybrid. not BBman. but ive been on it for 4 days and no batt pulls and mem leak is stable above 34 Always. boots up with 51
    05-18-09 05:03 PM
    yo, maybe you can post about how u have all those programs and still rockin 53MB?!?! I'm only on version .113 now, don't have as many programs as you and usually start at 39MB.
    05-18-09 09:16 PM
    I am still on .75 booting with 49.2 mb of memory. It stabilizes around 44mb. If its not official it won't be on my storm.

05-19-09 04:21 PM
    I have the same problem... But i start at 43 and after 1h is around 30.

I have :
    - android theme
    -wheatereyetouch
    -garmin
    - bejeweld game
    - meterberry

My os is 141. 5.0

05-19-09 08:31 PM
    I'm using version .132 with about 15 apps and I reboot with 25ish.
    05-19-09 09:32 PM
    What do memory leaks do?
    05-23-09 10:49 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD