Im planning on buying a new storm this afternoon and it seems like the more recently built the storm is the better (not necessarily because of a hardware change, but most likely because of tightened up QC at the factories). So I plan on asking to see the physical phone i'm getting before they charge my credit card and I was wondering if the production date and number are actually written somewhere on the box or the unit somewhere?

thanks!
    12-12-08 11:22 AM
    Anyone know how to check this?

Thanks!
    01-06-09 06:36 PM
    check under your battery or on the box the phone came in. build number should be on the first line.
    01-06-09 06:49 PM
    I'm not sure that they will open the box up for you to see the information written on the device. Hopefully it is on the box because once they open the box it should be considered used.
    01-06-09 07:28 PM
    is Mexico where the good ones are being made? I thought I read something about that? or am I just crazy? I found the PRD number under the battery, but could not find when mine was made.
    01-06-09 07:33 PM
    is Mexico where the good ones are being made? I thought I read something about that? or am I just crazy? I found the PRD number under the battery, but could not find when mine was made.
    Mine was made in Canada and have had no problems
    01-06-09 07:36 PM
    its on the sticker on the OUTSIDE of the box.
    01-06-09 07:37 PM
    If you're getting the phone from Verizon (phone order/web) and its coming from the warehouse, there is no way for them to check. CS reps places the orders and the warehouse is the one that receives the order and ships out what is available. If its new, according to recent posts, they are new manufacturing dates or within a couple weeks.

If you're going to the store, its written on the sticker label on the side of the box. PRD and manufacturing date are found at the bottom. Manufacturing date is to the right of the PRD and above where its made from. Its listed as DDMMYY (daydaymonthmonthyearyear)
    Last edited by y2bandit; 01-06-09 at 07:47 PM.
    01-06-09 07:45 PM
    I have one that I use which was made on JUNE of 2008 and works FLAWLESSLY from Cananda. I have a Back up Made in December from Mexico and that one is always flawless. Looks and works exactly the same as my canada model. So older models are really not much diffrent.
    01-06-09 08:15 PM
    its on the sticker on the OUTSIDE of the box.
    I got a replacement the other day and it arrived in a plain brown cardboard box. Is there any other way to tell the manufacture date?
    01-06-09 08:21 PM
    I got a replacement the other day and it arrived in a plain brown cardboard box. Is there any other way to tell the manufacture date?
    ...its written on the sticker label on the side of the box. PRD and manufacturing date are found at the bottom. Manufacturing date is to the right of the PRD and above where its made from. Its listed as DDMMYY (daydaymonthmonthyearyear)
    Same as the retail box.
    01-06-09 08:31 PM
    both of my Canadian ones were total rubbish (one made on 12/18 and the other on 12/23). Very loose screens, one had dust in screen problem and the other had the button that activates camera on the side fall out. They both however had better click action of the screen than the Mexican ones.
    01-06-09 08:37 PM
    Nope. Its not there. The box is blank.
    01-06-09 08:37 PM
    Its on the inside. There is a white label with a bunch of barcodes with your phones information such as version, meid, pin, etc.
    01-06-09 08:40 PM
    The only stickers on my box were the Fed Ex shipment ones and they didn't have any info on them. There were several receipts and shipping docs laying inside the box, but they weren't on there either.
    01-06-09 08:42 PM
    For those who still cant find it...I made it so simple that you cant miss it.

01-06-09 08:52 PM
    The only stickers on my box were the Fed Ex shipment ones and they didn't have any info on them. There were several receipts and shipping docs laying inside the box, but they weren't on there either.
    Then they F'd up cuz they should of included it as it has your phones information in regards to PIN #, SIM # and MEID #
    01-06-09 08:54 PM
    The PIN, SIM and MEID #'s are on the receipt and packing info, just not the manufacture date. I was surprised.
    01-06-09 08:55 PM
    The PRD and where is was made mean zero when it comes to build quality. Stop trying to base your purchase decisions around these BS pieces of information.

It's the luck of the draw.
    01-06-09 08:59 PM
    Build location meant nothing in my case. My replacement was same PRD and country. Phones were dated 12/15 then12/24. Second phone clicks 10 times better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 09:20 PM
    Yeh, I can comfirm I have one of the earlier phones, Nov 25, 2008, made in Canada and no problems up to today. Even smooth running with all OS including .65,.75, .83 and now .85

It appears to be the luck of the draw.
    01-06-09 10:20 PM
    I have one that I use which was made on JUNE of 2008 and works FLAWLESSLY from Cananda..
    With all due respect I think you are mistaken. I've not heard of any retail Storms being built as early as June (MONTHS before FCC approval).

See the pic below and keep in mind the format is DAY, MONTH, YEAR. not Month, year day

For those who still cant find it...I made it so simple that you cant miss it.

01-07-09 11:45 AM
    my old storm, bottom click screen problem, was built canada 081208 the new one says 1-10-08 as the ?refurb? date. came in a white box with certified like new sticker and blue dot under battery cover. all things point to okay, but i have only had it for like an hour. clicking definitely better and will adjust all settings to see how it performs against my old one just in case it isn't any better

i know this is off topic , but there seems to be liquid in the flash? i will search for other info on this.

so far so good. i hope....

woah! really loose touch screen slides sideways in casing and up and down... old one definitely didnt do that... anyone else got anything on this?
    Last edited by chefosaurus; 01-15-09 at 03:06 PM. Reason: add on:
    01-15-09 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD