View Poll Results: Should a Highschool student have a Blackberry?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 36.05%
  • No

55 63.95%
    I need to convince my parents to get me the blackberry storm since i am on verizon and must pay the 30 a month extra for the service. How would i convince my parents to get me a blackberry, even if i told my parents i would pay for it? my parents are wierd like that and even if i said i would pay for it they might still say no. since i just had the dare i think they would understand why i would want it.
    10-05-08 06:02 PM
    just buy the phone yourself. if you cannot afford it then you dont need it
    10-05-08 06:07 PM
    just buy the phone yourself. if you cannot afford it then you don't need it
    Ya, I'd say if you can't afford a plan by yourself you don't need one. It's Neat to have, but not really necessary. I mean back when i was in high school........
    10-05-08 06:12 PM
    I'm 17 years old and have a blackberry. But i don't take it to school

I use it if i'm out to take pics of trains..I send ''GEN'' to websites and get sent gen
    10-05-08 06:18 PM
    I am not sure you need a BB. It is an useful tool; however, why would you need this at the moment? Also, this seems similar to another thread with your name.
    10-05-08 06:23 PM
    Ahh High School. We had no cell phones or pda's when I was in school.

Your parents must really care about you. They must understand that some things you have to earn so that you can appreciate the value of things and make the right choices with not only your money but your time.

If you want it that badly you should save up your money and show them how MUCH you really want a BB. This will impress them and will impress upon you the entire concept of sacrifice as I'm sure you'll have to say no to buying other things while you save. Expect to do this for the rest of your life.

Or.......................you could just beg!
    10-05-08 06:26 PM
    just buy the phone yourself. if you cannot afford it then you dont need it
    oh, i sure can afford it myself.
    10-05-08 06:29 PM
    Well, make it happen.
    10-05-08 06:31 PM
    Well, make it happen.
    hoping i can make it happen
    10-05-08 06:32 PM

So why would you need to convince your parants?
    10-05-08 06:35 PM
    I need to convince my parents to get me the blackberry storm since i am on verizon and must pay the 30 a month extra for the service. How would i convince my parents to get me a blackberry, even if i told my parents i would pay for it? my parents are wierd like that and even if i said i would pay for it they might still say no. since i just had the dare i think they would understand why i would want it.
    its already ok with my parents, if i got it then i would get it for christmas and i would pay for the monthly extra costs.
    So it's ok with your folks AND you have to convince them to get it for you?
    I see a trac phone in your future.
    10-05-08 06:38 PM
    So it's ok with your folks AND you have to convince them to get it for you?
    its kind of hard to explain. what i was trying to say is that it would be okay with my parents to buy me it for christmas, but just the fact that its an extra 30 a month they dont like that. even when i have enough money to pay the extra 30 a month for the 2 years i will have the phone, they still dont really like that.
    10-05-08 06:45 PM
    whats that
    10-05-08 06:46 PM
    honestly i don't understand why anybody who doesn't need their email instantly has a bb at all (given certain circumstances). if you want a cool touch screen phone go get the dare if you're stuck on verizon. if not and you want the "hip every body thinks you're awesome cause you have this phone" go get an iphone. berry's are designed for professional use not for the power txter.

sorry but i see no use for having a bb for a high school student.

don't get me wrong i understand this phone is designed to broaden rim's appeal to more people but the 30 bucks a month is just plain stupid unless you have to have it. you can get vcast for 15 and have web and everything else.
    10-05-08 06:52 PM
    I must confess.....I purchased my 16 yr old daughter a Pearl and just switched to a Curve 2 days ago.

Now I am not one of those parents who spoils his children. However, I do like to give them nice things from time to time without them having to ask. As a parent I don't like to hear can I have, I want this, or I want that. I am more inclined to do stuff like that for them if they are not begging or bugging me for it. And coming to me with delusion of entitlement is the quickest way to not getting anything.

I purchased one for her because she did not ask for it. I offered to buy it and she said ok. She is responsible for the data and text expenses. I would not buy her a Storm!!

I agree with everyone that suggested you purchase it with your own loot.
    10-05-08 06:53 PM
    Kris, its dad. No storm for you. You can have my old razr. Quit yer whinning. And your mother said you keep taking her lotion and spending way too much time in the bathroom. Explain yourself young man!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 06:54 PM
    Yup. Foot the bill yourself.

10-05-08 06:57 PM
    The question should be, should a high school student have a cell phone. To say that they shouldn't be able to own a blackberry is stupid. To say that it's only for business users is stupid. The appearance of this phone is going to draw in many different types of users from young to old.

I would think though that there are phones MORE suitable for a high school student though. But if you're spoiled and money is not an object, then whatever you want I guess.
    10-05-08 07:03 PM
    Kris, its dad. No storm for you. You can have my old razr. Quit yer whinning. And your mother said you keep taking her lotion and spending way too much time in the bathroom. Explain yourself young man!

hahaha

no
    10-05-08 07:10 PM
    Very similar issue for myself. I am 16 as well, and I would have to pay for the Storm and service. However, I am already paying for VCAST so it's only a $15 difference. But I feel your pain.
    10-05-08 07:15 PM
    My thought is no for your normal BB But.... the storm appears to have a lot of gearing towards the social aspects more than just business use so it might actually be of value for the average teenager.

Just my 2 cents.
    10-05-08 07:17 PM
    Oh the trials of being 16.

Doesn't anyone see what this economy is doing to our children! It's almost too much----something must be done to stop this abuse!

Don't listen to me...........I'm just jealous that which phone to get my parents to let me have isn't my toughest decision.

You also get to date which my wife is totally against.
    10-05-08 07:24 PM
    This bb is going to apeal to everybody including tenagers. Nothing wrong with it, if you can afford it I'd say go for it!

10-05-08 07:30 PM
    Oh the trials of being 16.

Doesn't anyone see what this economy is doing to our children! It's almost too much----something must be done to stop this abuse!

Don't listen to me...........I'm just jealous that which phone to get my parents to let me have isn't my toughest decision.

You also get to date which my wife is totally against.
    Not exactly my toughest decision....And it's the decision for what phone for me to get. Parents are just very controlling. Purchasing is good, we need the dollar to increase in value.
    10-05-08 07:31 PM
    Since you say you can pay the additional 30.00 per month, I think this will do it....

30 per month x 24 months..... give them the $720.00 up front, now it's all taken care of. They should have no objections, unless they think you should not be spending 720.00 extra on a phone.
    10-05-08 07:31 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD