Is anyone else getting as pissed off and impatient as I am? Sure, there's leaked OS, but most of those have more glitches than a PS1 game. It's ******* ridiculous that the phone was released at the end of Nov and there has been 1 official software update. I am running .85 on my phone, and it works decent. However I want better, and I'd rather not download a different ******* leak every god damn day. I don't know about you, but it kind of loses the fun of teching around with your phone when you have to spend 2 hours a week doing it only to find something was fixed while something else was completely FUBAR'd.
    02-03-09 04:28 PM
    Yes you are impatient, and the leaked OS don't have that many glitches. In fact .99 is almost free from any glitches. RIM isn't going to release a new OS until it's perfect because people who complain (like yourself) about every little detail makes it not worth it for them. So they're probably going to wait to release one when it's perfect. Probably towards the mid-end of this month.
    02-03-09 06:05 PM
    Uhhh. They're working on it. .99 although
    Not perfect is 10x better than .85. I suggest
    You install that. Otherwise you have to just wait patiently
    Or if that's too much take it back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 06:05 PM
    You shouldnt even KNOW about the leaks, they shouldnt exist. You should ONLY see the official releases. So if you look at it that way, you should be grateful for even seeing the progress on the device OS. Being impatient doesnt change anything at all, besides raise YOUR blood pressure.
    02-03-09 06:06 PM
    .90 isn't buggy its more messy in places, like when I had it on the phone screen it would say instead of at the top: My Number 416-999-9999 it would say My Numb4e1r6-999-9663
    02-03-09 06:23 PM
    .99 has me content enough to wait another two months if need be. I realize .99 isn't as good for others as it is for me but that isn't my problem.

I can't see them going another week without releasing a official OS. I also says that a week ago so it goes to show I don't know Jack.

It looks like A LOT of people are having good luck with .99. It shows progress and a lot of progress. They aren't going to forget the Storm over the next few months and if they keep up the good work there is no telling what Feb and March will bring. Come on APP store and themes. You thought this thing was customizable? Themes take it to a whole new level.

02-03-09 07:28 PM
    Stop whining and just DL .99 already.
    02-03-09 09:46 PM
    Would you like it done fast or done right? You generally don't get both in life, so take your pick.
    02-03-09 11:21 PM
    Would you like it done fast or done right? You generally don't get both in life, so take your pick.
    Slow and wrong isn't off the table, is it?
    02-04-09 12:01 AM
    Slow and wrong isn't off the table, is it?
    Wait until the official release hits. It may be 2 - 3 weeks from now, but it's gonna be very very nice.

I highly doubt RIM will release an official OS that's buggy. That's why there's been a large gap between .75 and now. You'll see.

When your contract is up, go to Verizon, and pick up a Storm.You'll regret it if you don't. At least get rid of AT&T.
    02-04-09 12:17 AM
    I honestly think leaked OS's aren't truly leaks. I think that RIM has a guy who comes on here and "leaks" their latest build intentionally. Think about it. There are a bunch of people here chomping at the bit for the next OS and they will gladly install it as soon as they get their hands on it. For RIM, that's just free beta testing right there.

02-04-09 01:13 AM
    I honestly think leaked OS's aren't truly leaks. I think that RIM has a guy who comes on here and "leaks" their latest build intentionally. Think about it. There are a bunch of people here chomping at the bit for the next OS and they will gladly install it as soon as they get their hands on it. For RIM, that's just free beta testing right there.
    This has been discussed before numerous times, and it falls apart quite quickly in at least 3 ways.

1: It costs RIM money -- Say you attempt an upgrade, things go horribly wrong, so you request a replacement phone. The carrier just then sends it back to RIM who has to pay people to fix it, and it won't take them long to figure out what was going on. So now they're out at least 2 phones while only being paid for 1.

2: Why the cloak and dagger routine -- If the goal for RIM were to gain additional beta testers outside of their paid testing staff, why not just have an official program people can sign up for?

3: They've already moved on -- By the time some build leaks here, they're already working on a build 1-3 versions beyond whatever leaked, if not more. Anything we find would be probably be of limited utility to the developers by the time it funneled its way back to them.

I'm sure if I thought about it, I could come up with more holes in that idea, but as it is you could probably sail the entire US Navy through the any one of those holes if all the ships were lined up side to side.

And maybe it's just the difference between my having some programming experience, and thus being a bit more aware of what to look for, but I've seen some amazing progress in the leaked builds to date. .75 was just kind of a warmed over .65, but the .8x and now .9x series have really made some significant strides. There have been regressions, but for all the attention those get, no one appreciates all the smaller things that have been fixed or tweaked for the better. People very quickly forget about the vastly improved performance that started with .83, the improved battery life from more streamlined code, a better tuned accelerometer, countless minor bugfixes and little tweaks... Things that might be noticed at first, but quickly become forgotten as the bar is raised.
    02-04-09 08:30 AM
    This has been discussed before numerous times, and it falls apart quite quickly in at least 3 ways.

1: It costs RIM money -- Say you attempt an upgrade, things go horribly wrong, so you request a replacement phone. The carrier just then sends it back to RIM who has to pay people to fix it, and it won't take them long to figure out what was going on. So now they're out at least 2 phones while only being paid for 1.

2: Why the cloak and dagger routine -- If the goal for RIM were to gain additional beta testers outside of their paid testing staff, why not just have an official program people can sign up for?

3: They've already moved on -- By the time some build leaks here, they're already working on a build 1-3 versions beyond whatever leaked, if not more. Anything we find would be probably be of limited utility to the developers by the time it funneled its way back to them.

I'm sure if I thought about it, I could come up with more holes in that idea, but as it is you could probably sail the entire US Navy through the any one of those holes if all the ships were lined up side to side.

And maybe it's just the difference between my having some programming experience, and thus being a bit more aware of what to look for, but I've seen some amazing progress in the leaked builds to date. .75 was just kind of a warmed over .65, but the .8x and now .9x series have really made some significant strides. There have been regressions, but for all the attention those get, no one appreciates all the smaller things that have been fixed or tweaked for the better. People very quickly forget about the vastly improved performance that started with .83, the improved battery life from more streamlined code, a better tuned accelerometer, countless minor bugfixes and little tweaks... Things that might be noticed at first, but quickly become forgotten as the bar is raised.
    Well said bigman.
    02-04-09 08:35 AM

Lay off the kool-aid.
    02-04-09 09:19 AM
    Once RIM has a release candidate ready, it still has to go through QA testing by the carriers (Vzw, Vodafone, Telus) before its "officially" released. That's an additional 2-3 weeks. A software update that hasn't been tested on the Network first is useless if there's no connectivity.
    02-04-09 09:38 AM
    Wait until the official release hits. It may be 2 - 3 weeks from now, but it's gonna be very very nice.

I highly doubt RIM will release an official OS that's buggy. That's why there's been a large gap between .75 and now. You'll see.

When your contract is up, go to Verizon, and pick up a Storm.You'll regret it if you don't. At least get rid of AT&T.
    Oh. I'm certainly getting rid of ATT. I love going into ATT stores and saying, "FTW with your towers? I hear you have the best coverage possible... in India!"

Against the advice of everyone I hold dear, I'm probably going to take a chance on the Storm @ the end of the month... I'll keep the curve active for the 30 days and... give it a shot. *sigh*

So... let's get that official "smooth" OS up and running by then, Mmmmkay?
    02-04-09 09:38 AM
    Against the advice of everyone I hold dear, I'm probably going to take a chance on the Storm @ the end of the month... I'll keep the curve active for the 30 days and... give it a shot. *sigh*
    I made the switch from the Curve to the Storm yesterday after playing with the Storm for 3 months at work and getting to know it first before taking the dive. I don't get a WFG but my girlfriend has my Curve now so I can always take it back and stick her with the Voyager again if things go sour.
    02-04-09 09:40 AM
    I'm hearing .110 in the works as offical with app and vcast support. To bad a few bad apples ruined the leaks know were all stuck waiting for official.

02-04-09 02:14 PM
    To everyone telling me to just DL a leak, the point I'm making is I shouldn't have to DL a leak. I shouldn't have to spend a solid hour or 2 putting a leaked half *** version OS on my phone. That's why I paid 300 dollars for, and 110 every month for my bill, and why people called PROGRAMMERS get paid, to make an OS that works with the phone. I like my Storm and I will keep it regardless, but dammit I wanted to rant!!!
    02-04-09 05:10 PM
    I'd rather have a stable official upgrade than a rushed one.
    02-04-09 05:13 PM
    To everyone telling me to just DL a leak, the point I'm making is I shouldn't have to DL a leak. I shouldn't have to spend a solid hour or 2 putting a leaked half *** version OS on my phone. That's why I paid 300 dollars for, and 110 every month for my bill, and why people called PROGRAMMERS get paid, to make an OS that works with the phone. I like my Storm and I will keep it regardless, but dammit I wanted to rant!!!
    Yes, and again the sense of entitlement rears its head.

Most of the money you pay goes to the carrier, not RIM. The carrier already paid RIM for the phone, and the bulk of your BIS/BES fee goes into maintaining the email systems.

At the end of the day, it comes down to whether you feel your principled stand on this issue is worth the frustration it seems to bring you.
    02-04-09 05:20 PM
    Hey Guys, I am new to the forum so forgive me....I have been reading the post's for the last half hour but cannot seem to find the link to download the.99 leak? Can someone please be kind and post the link or direct me on how I go about getting it? Thanks!!!
    02-04-09 06:23 PM
    Hey Guys, I am new to the forum so forgive me....I have been reading the post's for the last half hour but cannot seem to find the link to download the.99 leak? Can someone please be kind and post the link or direct me on how I go about getting it? Thanks!!!
    Check the OS/OS Beta subforum and there should be an official leak thread and maybe a couple of others for mirrors.
    02-04-09 06:27 PM
    Yes, and again the sense of entitlement rears its head.

Most of the money you pay goes to the carrier, not RIM. The carrier already paid RIM for the phone, and the bulk of your BIS/BES fee goes into maintaining the email systems.

At the end of the day, it comes down to whether you feel your principled stand on this issue is worth the frustration it seems to bring you.
    Sense of entitlement? PLEASE. I'm not some **** head 15 year old kid ******** because I didn't get a brand new Cadillac for my birthday, it's pretty much the principle of it all. They charge what they have to charge, if they need more money for it to work as it should, charge more and I'll decide if I want to pay that much. Bottom line you tell me to pay "this", and the phone will work like "this." Actuality says I pay "this", but the phone definitely does NOT work like "this."
    02-05-09 12:25 AM
    Sense of entitlement? PLEASE. I'm not some **** head 15 year old kid ******** because I didn't get a brand new Cadillac for my birthday, it's pretty much the principle of it all. They charge what they have to charge, if they need more money for it to work as it should, charge more and I'll decide if I want to pay that much. Bottom line you tell me to pay "this", and the phone will work like "this." Actuality says I pay "this", but the phone definitely does NOT work like "this."
    You want a flawless device? Buy a CELL PHONE, not a BB, PDA, or smartphone, and damn sure not one at release. PERIOD dude. That's the end of it. There are NO exceptions. Because YOU don't like it, won't change anything. Ummkay? You done? Now, if you're done pouting, you can go play with the rest of the class......

Just kidding. Don't get mad.

But seriously, I've had a Treo 650, a HP Ipaq 6xxx, an iPhone, a Curve and a Storm. That covers every OS but Android. And guess what? Drumroll please......

They ALL had issues. Whadya know? It's life in the world of smartphones and rapidly evolving and growing technology and market demand.

Don't mean to be mean, but get used to it.
    02-05-09 01:16 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD