I just got my Storm and added my hotmail as an email account. I love being able to view my email and delete it either just on the Storm or on both the Storm and my PC. However, if I'm checking email on my PC and delete something, it remains on my Storm. And I end up doing twice the work to delete it in both places. Does anyone know how to set it up so things deleted from Hotmail on my PC also delete on the BlackBerry?
    12-19-08 12:05 AM
    I have a 2 users so far whose emails remain on the storm after being deleted, or moved to a PST (local file on the PC), we use Exchange 2003 with a BES. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    01-06-09 03:19 PM
    I'm assuming Hotmail works similar to Gmail (I have an Exchange account as well). This is the same for my Gmail account. The message physically resides on Hotmail's and Exchange's servers, and a "copy" is sent to your BB.

You could do Messages > Options > Email Reconciliation > Delete on and select "Handheld and Mailbox". This will delete from both phone and server.
    01-06-09 03:45 PM
    Thank you for the reply Bob, but isn't that setting only for when you are deleting an item from the blackberry? Does it work when you are deleting on the PC side?
    01-06-09 04:55 PM
    When you delete it do you wait a few minutes before checking your storm? When I delete my hotmail, it won't get deleted until it syncs again. Sometimes it could take up to 10 minutes.
    01-06-09 08:05 PM
    I just got my Storm and added my hotmail as an email account. I love being able to view my email and delete it either just on the Storm or on both the Storm and my PC. However, if I'm checking email on my PC and delete something, it remains on my Storm. And I end up doing twice the work to delete it in both places. Does anyone know how to set it up so things deleted from Hotmail on my PC also delete on the BlackBerry?
    Setting up BIS account for Gmail access works similarly..

Its a one way reconcile... changes (read/delete) made on hand held, reflect in your Gmail account via PC/Web after a few minutes... But changes made via PC/Web don't reconcile down to the hand held.

Could this be a BIS limit with all mail services?
    I have a 2 users so far whose emails remain on the storm after being deleted, or moved to a PST (local file on the PC), we use Exchange 2003 with a BES. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated
    BES with Exchange is different from BIS with Hotmail or Gmail.

See bob1916's advice about the "Delete on Mailbox & Handheld" if items deleted from the BB are not deleted from Outlook/Exchange.

In that same location make sure Wireless Reconcile = Yes or ON.

As for items deleted from outlook/exchange that do NOT reconcile down to the hand held.....

1. make sure "wireless reconcile" is set to Yes or ON.

2. DO NOT EMPTY Outlook's deleted items. Stuff needs to remain in deleted items in the user's exchange mailbox until the BES see's its been deleted, then the BES will remove it from the hand held.

Tip1: Wireless Reconcile of Read/Unread/Delete/File can take up to 20 or 30 minutes, depending on how many users are on the BES. Empty Deleted items folder in the User's Exchange mailbox too quick, and the BES wont see the item was to be deleted and leaves it on the hand held. Reconcile Now menu option in messages can force it to happen without waiting, BUT it causes a rescan of the user's mailbox and hand held, so it adds load to the BES and may impact BES performance, especially if you have several hundred users doing it at the same time...

Tip2: If a user is working with Outlook in "Off-Line" mode, that will impact how deleted items work. They may not be making it from the local outlook deteted items back to the Exchange server's deleted items for the BES to see them...

TIP3: There is a BES setting for "Hard Deletes", if you are the BES admin I'd suggest you look into it. It will force items to be deleted from the hand held, if they've dissapeared from the exchange mail box.

3. Move to PST can not be reconciled Over The Air. The BES can only access the EXCHANGE Mailbox. A PST is "local" not in the Exchange mail box. So the BES sees the item dissapeared from the Exchange mailbox space, can't follow where it went, so it stays there.

Tip1: You can setup PST sync with Desktop Manager on the PC via USB Cord. Its not real time, you have to plug in, be connected to work lan, etc.

Tip2: BES "Hard Delete" option if set can make teh "moved to PST" items dissappear from BB wirelessly.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 01-07-09 at 07:13 AM.
    01-07-09 07:04 AM
    I'm having the same problem with my gmail and hotmail accounts. All of my settings are as recommended in the earlier posts, but changes via gmail or hotmail are not reflected on my Storm (even after days have passed).

My Exchange syncs, however, have been flawless.

Also, does anyone know if you can access labels/folders for internet accounts via the Storm. I could do this on my Treo but can't seem to figure it out my Storm.

Thanks for the help.
    01-07-09 02:03 PM
    I'm having the same problem with my gmail and hotmail accounts. All of my settings are as recommended in the earlier posts, but changes via gmail or hotmail are not reflected on my Storm (even after days have passed).
    that's the way it is supposed to work... it's not 2 way sync like that. its 1 way.
    01-07-09 02:31 PM
    I switched from the 8703e to the Storm about 3 months ago. With my old Blackberry, my Hotmail and phone synced perfectly. E-mail deletions on the phone happened quickly on the PC, and vice versa. With the Storm, e-mail deletions on the phone result in quick deletions on the PC, but deletions on the PC never result in anything being deleted from my Storm.

I called Verizon and was on the phone with customer service for one and a half hours trying to figure this thing out. When this guy gave up, he got a customer service rep from Blackberry on the phone and we had a 3-way conversation for an additional hour. The Blackberry guy initially told me that this is just the way it is with Blackberry and Hotmail. I kept on insisting that there should not be a problem, because synchronization with my old phone worked perfectly, even the deletion aspect of it. He kept putting us on hold and researching it further coming back a couple of times telling me that is just the way it is. I kept insisting, so he went and talked to one of his superiors. After an hour with this guy, he finally gave me the answer. Apparently, Microsoft recently changed their protocol for Hotmail. A byproduct of that was that when you delete an e-mail from your PC, it will not delete it from the Blackberry. I don't know the technical aspect of the protocol change that was made, but that was the explanation. Although it seems coincidental that this change occurred the same day that I upgraded Blackberry's, it was the only explanation I had received over the 2.5 hours on the phone that made reasonable sense.

I have had my e-mail account for a very long time, and it would be difficult for me to transition to another account that is more compatible with Blackberry at this point. I was told on the phone that Yahoo is completely compatible with Blackberry and that I should consider switching to it.

I have tried work arounds that have not worked by trying e-mail forwarding programs. Specifically, I tried HotForward and Mail Redirect to have my Hotmail e-mail automatically forwarded to my Blackberry e-mail account. So far, I have not come up with a good way to make this work.

If the protocol is, in fact, the issue; then I hope Microsoft will do something to help us out and overcome this.
    01-27-09 11:24 PM
    I know this is a pretty old issue, but I was walking around some old threads and came across this one.

The notion that this is a MS issue is silly. I believe it to be a hotmail or Gmail issue, but am not certain.

In any case, I run my own personal email server. I have zero problems synching and I get emails instantly. When I delete from my computer, it deletes on my phone within seconds. This is the case whether using the client on my computer or using webmail.

So to exhonerate the Storm (and Microsoft) once and for all, YES, it IS CAPABLE of deleting emails that were deleted from the server, whether through webmail or your email client.

Now, I'm curious about the specifics about what's happening. If you're deleting an email from your client, perhaps it's staying on the server and that's why it's staying on the phone. Rather, if you delete the email from the server completly, through webmail and emptying the trashbin, will it delete properly from the phone at that time?

Just thought I'd throw that out there
    02-28-09 10:17 AM
    Thank you for your reply to my/our entries and for trying to help.

I agree that this is a Hotmail issue. I only referred to it as a Microsoft issue because they own Hotmail.

As far as the specifics, I have an e-mail account through my company's Blackberry Enterprise Server, and I also have a Hotmail account. Both are set-up on my Storm. There are no issues with my work e-mail account. They synch flawlessly. However, in Hotmail, when I delete an e-mail on my computer (whether it be through Outlook or through the Hotmail web-site), the e-mail does not ever delete from my Storm. Even when the e-mail is totally deleted from the deleted files folder on both the web-site and in Outlook, the e-mail is never deleted from the Storm. The reverse is not true, in other words, deletions of e-mails on the Storm are, in fact, deleted from the Hotmail account when viewed through both Outlook and the Hotmail web-site.

Once again, the Blackberry rep said that this is a known protocol issue with Hotmail. Any knowledge you may have of this or help you may be able to provide would be immensely appreciated. The time savings I get from having a Blackberry would be increased dramatically minus this issue.

Thanks.
    03-03-09 09:14 PM
    Thank you for your reply to my/our entries and for trying to help.

I agree that this is a Hotmail issue. I only referred to it as a Microsoft issue because they own Hotmail.

As far as the specifics, I have an e-mail account through my company's Blackberry Enterprise Server, and I also have a Hotmail account. Both are set-up on my Storm. There are no issues with my work e-mail account. They synch flawlessly. However, in Hotmail, when I delete an e-mail on my computer (whether it be through Outlook or through the Hotmail web-site), the e-mail does not ever delete from my Storm. Even when the e-mail is totally deleted from the deleted files folder on both the web-site and in Outlook, the e-mail is never deleted from the Storm. The reverse is not true, in other words, deletions of e-mails on the Storm are, in fact, deleted from the Hotmail account when viewed through both Outlook and the Hotmail web-site.

Once again, the Blackberry rep said that this is a known protocol issue with Hotmail. Any knowledge you may have of this or help you may be able to provide would be immensely appreciated. The time savings I get from having a Blackberry would be increased dramatically minus this issue.

Thanks.

Before getting into odd hotmail issue that we have no way to control in the first place, here's the best I can think of and probably the next step I would take if helping a friend or coworker. Servicing BBs is not my job, so I'm sure there are others out there who can help you better than I can. I'm just a nerd who likes to get his toys working properly.

Anyway...

any time I've ever helped set up a person's BB, it's only has ever been IMAP. I also don't use hotmail, as my work allowed me set up my own email server using their otherwise neglected static IPs.

Are you absolutely certain your hotmail account is set up as IMAP on your BB? If you use the email setup when you powerup the BB for the first time, it's likely you're on POP3. I have no idea what interface changes occur on a BB when an account is set up as POP3 other than there would be delays receiving email. I know POP3 is cabable of deleting mail from the server, and your BB would likely still ask you if you want to "delete from handheld" or "delete from server and handheld." But it is not capable of deleting email off of remote clients. If you're pop3, that explains your symptom.

To find out if you are, in fact, on IMAP, login to your BIS account... (I think it's easier from your computer. If you don't know how to do that, let me know.) Once you're in, click on the "edit" button toward the right of where your hotmail account is listed. Click the advanced settings tab. Beneath that you will see if you're set up using IMAP or POP3. I'm hoping you're on POP3, because that means we can should be able to get you up and running the way you'd like.

If you're on IMAP, then it's more likely a hotmail issue. If you're lucky there might be some settings that you can change via your hotmail webmail settings. If you're not so lucky, then it's a hotmail restriction and I'm not sure how to help you. I, myself, am not very familiary with the inner workings of hotmail, so I wouldn't know what to do from there.

If you're on POP3, then we've got to get you switched to IMAP. I don't believe you can just change that, though. I'm pretty sure you'd have to delete that account from your BIS and then set it up again. Before going through all that, I'd suggest testing it out first my making a temporary hotmail account, setting that up as IMAP on your BB, and sending yourself and few test emails and putting it through a few differerent scenarios.

I won't go into how to set up an account as IMAP on your BB. This post is getting long enough and there are plenty of threads dedicated to that very topic. If you need help, though, let me know and I'd be happy to help.

I hope all the above helps you. I don't have a lot to go on here, so this is just the next step I would take in troubleshooting and solving your symptom.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    03-05-09 09:30 AM
    I just found this link. I don't know how current it is, but it appears that hotmail does not at this time offer free IMAP access.

If that is currently the case, then the steps I mentioned above don't need to be taken. It means you are on POP3 and syching deletions from the server isn't possible until that changes.

Hotmail now with free POP3 and IMAP access | Firetrust Ltd
    03-05-09 09:40 AM
    Nothing works. No matter what I do, when I delete e-mails from my Hotmail using my computer, it never deletes from my Storm. Very frustrating.
    03-16-09 11:21 PM
    I am pretty sure that it isn't you but it's hotmail (gmail). It has to do with IMAP setting that those mail servers use...which is why you are having the problem...I think.

Sorry if I sound ignorant...I am pretty sure that is the case though
    I think you're right. Gmail has the same behavior for me (messages don't get marked as read when I read 'em on my BB and such) but I'm connected to some other IMAP servers (for school and another server that I run for a website) and they both mark things as read when I read them.

I think it has to do with how the server is setup.
    03-17-09 12:07 AM
    I just started using my new Bold yesterday and I have the same problem on my university email - emails read/deleted on Outlook still shows up as new email on my Bold, but emails read/deleted on my Bold shows up correctly on Outlook. Have set up as IMAP and tried all the suggested settings (Delete on mailbox and handheld, wireless reconcile on etc) but still doesn't work. Spent the past couple of hours trying to find a solution on the internet but nothing has come up. Guess we're stuck with double the work to delete emails!
    03-18-09 09:38 AM
    I played with these settings last night and more this morning. I have concluded that Gmail accounts correctly configured as IMAP accounts will sync up given time. If you delete a message off your computer/web based email AND (very important) delete it out of the trash as well, it will delete off of your Storm in a couple minutes when it syncs. If you delete a gmail off the storm, it will delete it off the server and your deleted messages will sync faster in this method because you are sending a command to the server instead of waiting for the device to sync itself with the server as in the former example.

Hotmail users are pretty much SOL as far as I can tell. I don't think MS Live accounts are set up to use IMAP (as far as I know). Until they do, we're screwed with using the POP3 protocol or whatever MS uses for hotmail. I couldn't find any way to sync deleted messages from my computer to my storm. No matter what I tried, I had to end up deleting the messages myself on the blackberry. You can delete messages only from your Storm to save yourself time from having to do it twice.
    Last edited by By3Times1Minus1; 03-28-09 at 10:55 AM.
    03-25-09 02:31 PM
    Regarding the hotmail issue for emails being deleted on the PC not deleting on the handheld. I had a Curve 8330 and the delete sync worked both ways. If I deleted on my PC the email would delete and from my BB and if I deleted on my BB and opted to delete on mailbox it would.

My data port got damaged and I had to get a new Curve. I have set up the phone identical to my previous Curve, and now if I delete an email on the PC it does not get deleted on the BB. I called Verizon and they were unable to help saying that's the way it is.

It appears that through all the forums I've read that Hotmail may have changed their protocol, but perhaps if you had a phone that worked previously it didn't take their new settings. As soon as you change phones this feature no longer works.

Any other thoughts?
    05-18-09 12:20 PM
    Last night I went to Options/Advanced Options/Wireless Update on my Storm and I updated my wireless to Version 4.7.0.148. This morning, my Hotmail issues seem to be fixed. If I delete an e-mail on my computer, it deletes off of my Storm. It still holds true that when I delete off of my Storm, it deletes out of my account as checked on my PC. Hopefully, this update included the fix and this is the long-term solution. For now, though, it is working.
    06-12-09 07:29 AM
    I have been having a problem with my Gmail. When i delete on my storm it doesnt delete on my Gmail account or visa versa. I have it set to delete on both on my handheld. any ideals?

also I have MLB alerts labeled and marked read on a filter and put into a different folder, how do I keep those from going to my storm?
    06-12-09 07:36 AM
    I switched from the 8703e to the Storm about 3 months ago. With my old Blackberry, my Hotmail and phone synced perfectly. E-mail deletions on the phone happened quickly on the PC, and vice versa. With the Storm, e-mail deletions on the phone result in quick deletions on the PC, but deletions on the PC never result in anything being deleted from my Storm.

I called Verizon and was on the phone with customer service for one and a half hours trying to figure this thing out. When this guy gave up, he got a customer service rep from Blackberry on the phone and we had a 3-way conversation for an additional hour. The Blackberry guy initially told me that this is just the way it is with Blackberry and Hotmail. I kept on insisting that there should not be a problem, because synchronization with my old phone worked perfectly, even the deletion aspect of it. He kept putting us on hold and researching it further coming back a couple of times telling me that is just the way it is. I kept insisting, so he went and talked to one of his superiors. After an hour with this guy, he finally gave me the answer. Apparently, Microsoft recently changed their protocol for Hotmail. A byproduct of that was that when you delete an e-mail from your PC, it will not delete it from the Blackberry. I don't know the technical aspect of the protocol change that was made, but that was the explanation. Although it seems coincidental that this change occurred the same day that I upgraded Blackberry's, it was the only explanation I had received over the 2.5 hours on the phone that made reasonable sense.

I have had my e-mail account for a very long time, and it would be difficult for me to transition to another account that is more compatible with Blackberry at this point. I was told on the phone that Yahoo is completely compatible with Blackberry and that I should consider switching to it.

I have tried work arounds that have not worked by trying e-mail forwarding programs. Specifically, I tried HotForward and Mail Redirect to have my Hotmail e-mail automatically forwarded to my Blackberry e-mail account. So far, I have not come up with a good way to make this work.

If the protocol is, in fact, the issue; then I hope Microsoft will do something to help us out and overcome this.
    I am so glad I noticed your post! I had almost the exact same thing happen to me, and several support reps tried to tell me it wasn't possible that my Hotmail reconciled both ways before. Like I was mistaken for a couple years.... Then I got transferred to a RIM rep that told me about the protocol change.

The change didn't happen the same day you got your new phone. It's because you reset up your email on the new phone. In my case, I had a log-in for the BIS website so I kept my same set up in place and just did the option to change device. Reconciliation worked perfectly on my new phone.

My problems began a couple weeks later when I decided to add a second email account. While on the BIS web, I accidentally deleted my hotmail setup and had to reenter it. Then I noticed reconciliation no longer worked. After many support calls, the explanation I got from the RIM rep that knew what was going on is that it had worked for me because it had been set up before the change. Once I deleted it and had to set it back up, it was set up the new way.

I have no idea why Microsoft and RIM don't feel it's important to restore this functionality, but for those of you that have your Hotmail reconciling, BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO DELETE IT! And if you get a new phone, go to the BIS website and change the device on your current email set up. If you just set it up through your new phone, the reconciliation likely won't work.
    10-10-09 02:14 AM
    Hi Guys

Glad i stumbled upon this thread, as im having the exact same problems with the hotmail sync!!

Basically any read/delete from the handset will be reflected on the desktop, but not vice versa!

I came from a Palm Treo Pro (the most stable WM device so far) that had full exchange and hotmail support (given they are all from M$) and while all the emails come thru / synced and replicated properly, the handset itself was slow, screen res was poor (320x320) and generally feels sluggish.

While my exchange seems to be fine with BES enabled on my 3 Australia account, the BIS hotmail (which i also need) is literally forcing me back onto a WM device Short of signing up for Hotmail Plus, doing a forward to my gmail and setting up gmail on BIS, all which costs additional time and $, i may just have to go back to the Treo Pro!

FYI

Bold 9000
    v4.6.0.304 (Platform 4.0.0.247)
    3 Australia
    2100Mhz UMTS

I wonder if OS5 will help??
    11-30-09 09:54 AM
    Last night I went to Options/Advanced Options/Wireless Update on my Storm and I updated my wireless to Version 4.7.0.148. This morning, my Hotmail issues seem to be fixed. If I delete an e-mail on my computer, it deletes off of my Storm. It still holds true that when I delete off of my Storm, it deletes out of my account as checked on my PC. Hopefully, this update included the fix and this is the long-term solution. For now, though, it is working.
    Hi Bentleywp

When you said you updated your wireless, did you download the new firmware thru BB and updated your handset that way?

Is your hotmail still synced up nicely??
    11-30-09 09:56 AM
    deleting from the 'hotmail site or outlook' will not delete the copy on the BB unless you have a special sync setup via desktop manager or through BES i think.

You can only delete 'From mailbox and handheld' from the BB. You delete from something other than the BB and the 'copy' remains on the BB
    11-30-09 12:02 PM
    deleting from the 'hotmail site or outlook' will not delete the copy on the BB unless you have a special sync setup via desktop manager or through BES i think.

You can only delete 'From mailbox and handheld' from the BB. You delete from something other than the BB and the 'copy' remains on the BB
    Can you elaborate on the "special sync setup or BES" please??

i have signed up to BES and it doesnt seem to make any difference ;(

Some users are reporting success here,

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/re...1/#post4206631
    11-30-09 09:25 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD