I have been having battery problems with my storm 9550 for the past month. So i called verizon and they sent me a new battery that i received in the mail today..Charged it up completely and I also bought meterberry to assist. After a full charge i received a 1min and 13sec phone call and my battery percent went from 100 to 92!! and it is currently %87 after about 30 mins from being off the charger. I have to charge my phone about 3 times a day just to make it through the day. I thought a new battery would fix everything but evidently not. I dont have any extra apps running that could drain my battery so quick. I am also running OS .607. Someone please tell me what the problem could be!!
    05-21-10 02:32 PM
    Did you let it charge after it was fully charged? I usually charge my battery for 8 hours on the charger whether it's fully charged or not. Also there are so many variables with what may be on your phone. Try the normal battery saving tips listed in the forums first then try to charge the battery for longer than normal
    05-21-10 03:06 PM
    I was having similar issues. Full charge and would drop to 75% in about 30-45 min. Without doing anything.

Provided wifi, gps are turned off and no apps running in background, let your battery discharge all the way to 10-15%. Then charge it up all the way. Might even do it with phone off or after its fully charged turn it off and leave it on charge for a bit. Just letting it discharge to 20-25% didn't seem to work.

Thought I was going to need a new battery but since doing the above without heavy use meterberry says I'm running 2-3%per hour.

I read somewhere that it isn't a battery issue but that the phones battery meter doesn't reset properly and this needs to be done about every 30 charge cycles.

Don't know if this is your issue or not but it worked for me.
    05-21-10 03:25 PM
    Did you let it charge after it was fully charged? I usually charge my battery for 8 hours on the charger whether it's fully charged or not. Also there are so many variables with what may be on your phone. Try the normal battery saving tips listed in the forums first then try to charge the battery for longer than normal
    That is good advice. I often notice if my phone JUST hit 100% charged, it will quickly drop to 95% or less within minutes. Esp if the phone is still hot. I say, let the phone charge past 100% until it cools down, that seems to work well for me.

That also goes for battery drain on reboots. It is much worse if the phone is hot. (For those that have issues with battery draining 15-35% just from rebooting, that OS 5 brought for some devices). Let it cool, then reboot and it will be much less drain.
    05-21-10 03:28 PM
    The amount of power used by the radio (i.e., the telephone) in your Storm 2 depends on the strength of the signal it receives from the nearest tower. If you are in a weak signal area, the battery will be depleted sooner. I noticed this effect just last week. An outage took out Verizon towers in most of the town. I had my phone turned on during this period and lost 3/4 of a full charge in 4 hours. The phone couldn't hear the towers and cranked up its transmitter to full power trying to ping the tower. On other days I lose about 1/4 to 1/3 of a charge just listening to music for 4 hours. Received signal makes a significant difference.

Bob
    05-21-10 04:32 PM
    607 was a battery drainer for me. I rolled back to a more stable OS and now my discharge rate is between 2% and 3% per hour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 05:38 PM
    .607 has been a big battery drain for my phone also. Please, please, Blackberry gods, give us a better OS!!!
    05-21-10 06:41 PM
    .607 has been a big battery drain for my phone also. Please, please, Blackberry gods, give us a better OS!!!
    Try 451 works like a champ on my S2.

05-21-10 06:48 PM
    agree. Maybe I will go back.
    05-21-10 07:40 PM
    OS 517 works like a charm for me. From 9 am to 7 pm today I lost .5% an hour. That's with no usage of course.
    05-21-10 08:48 PM
    I think i might go back down to .451 but i might just go to the store and get a new storm
    05-21-10 09:15 PM
    Did you make sure to disable global connectivity?

05-21-10 11:33 PM
    I have always felt the original storm battery was a joke for the average, to power user. No matter which OS/hybrid I used, I could only get a few hours out of it. I bought a pair of 2600 m/a here off CB store, then I found a 3300 m/a for the storm2, so I bought 3 of those. They do take away the slimness of the phone, but will last all day long, even playing iheart radio (when it use to work).

I have more money invested in batteries than what the Storm2 is worth........lol
    05-22-10 09:01 AM
    all this talk about 607 being a battery drainer is a crock, IMO. My wife and both run 607, but we DON'T RUN utilities. Battery lasts through several hours of phone calls and a couple hours of internet based usage and we still have MORE than 50% at the end of the day. Charge the battery for at least an hour or MORE, after the light turns green (green light only comes on if the phone is OFF).
    05-22-10 11:07 AM
    Using the Seidio 2600 battery makes the S2 operate as one would expect from a normal battery, based on other BBs I've had ... I can go all day with heavy usage and usually end with 50-60 percent battery left. All background apps off; GPS on 911 only; etc. If there are a lot of resets, it may go to 35 percent, but so far, that's the lowest. Well worth the money.
    05-22-10 11:44 AM
    While a higher mAh battery is obviously going to give you more power, the OP's experience is well beyond normal and putting a larger battery in is only a band aid, not a fix. Obviously, there's something going on to drain the battery that fast. To the OP, I suggest you do a search in the threads here on battery life for the Storm 2. There are the obvious fixes: setting your phone to 1XEV only instead of Global, turning your backlight down to something less than 50, turning off WiFi unless you're using it and making sure you CLOSE all apps you're not currently using. Updating your phone's roaming capabilities may also help. I did not see where you indicate what sort of signal strength you're getting, but that has a big influence on battery use as well. GPS has little impact on battery life unless you're actually using it, so you can leave that alone (are you running any apps to "follow me?" all the time?).

I do believe that .607 has a minor impact on battery life, after a long term, careful evaluation, I've concluded that its about a 10% hit on the battery, but NOTHING similar to what the OP is experiencing. My battery drain is typically in the 1.5%/hr. range, unless I'm doing some heavy use either on the phone or on the web when the drain spikes to the 5% range.

As for utilities, I personally don't believe they have a major impact in GENERAL. I have MeterBerry which leaves a very small footprint (depending on how you have your logging set up, mine is once an hour, so it's next to nothing). I also run Smart Guard which does run in the background, but again, it has only minimal impact. It does a backup of my device once a day and, unless I log in from my computer to track my phone or something similar, the utility is not calling on the phone to use any power. Of course, you can strip your phone of nearly everything and then it will only use power for phone calls, web, email and messages, but I see no need to strip the phone of its potential. Common sense prevails and as I"ve indicated, my battery drain is relatively acceptable. I get through the entire day and when I go to bed, I'm usually in the 40% left range and that's after a ton of emails, calendar alerts and a half dozen phone calls each day (oh yeah, a few rounds of game play as well).
    05-22-10 12:22 PM
    My battery life with .607 is the same as before, my biggest gripe is that my Iloveradio app doesnt work now!

BKVic
    05-22-10 03:29 PM
    While at work my battery on .607(.692 hybrid i think) was very bad and would drain to 5% in 8 hours with no use at all. The signal is to blame cause it switches from 1X to 3G alot. I just downgraded back to .517(.608 hybrid) and the battery only drained down to 40% within 8 hours. To me thats a huge difference and the battery life on .6XX really sucks a**. The signal has gotten a little better .
    05-22-10 04:36 PM
    all this talk about 607 being a battery drainer is a crock, IMO.
    It's not a crock. Meterberry doesn't make up discharge rates. I can do all the normal calls, text, FB, browsing etc on 607 and NOT get the same battery life as 451. Plus I don't have the memory leaks either. The quote in my signature says it best!

Last edited by plkcable; 05-22-10 at 05:04 PM.
    05-22-10 04:54 PM
    have any of you changed you network settings to 1XEV yet? If you dont plan on leaving the US then you dont need the GSM to be on.
    05-22-10 05:58 PM
    let the phone die from a dead battery, then charge it up all the way..do this about 3 times and see if it helps
    05-22-10 06:15 PM
    GREAT NEWS!
    Yesterday I read a forum and it said to downgrade back to the original OS and then upgrade back to 607. I did that and my battery discharge has been an average of %3.7 since 8:30am and it is now 7:32. I still have %64 left. I also let my phone charge about 8 hrs after it was fully charged so that may have something to do with it to
    05-22-10 06:34 PM
    In my case the problem is 607, it just plain sucks. I always set to 1XEV. I have used enough BB models an OS's to know a sh!tty one when I see it.

05-22-10 07:37 PM
    ^same for me. .607 is a battery killer

05-22-10 07:55 PM
    It's not a crock. Meterberry doesn't make up discharge rates. I can do all the normal calls, text, FB, browsing etc on 607 and NOT get the same battery life as 451. Plus I don't have the memory leaks either. The quote in my signature says it best!

it's STILL a "crock". 607 doesn't "kill" batteries. period.

apps do.
    05-22-10 09:31 PM
241 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD