Here is a log from MeterBerry after a full charge last night. Why am I getting battery discharge through the night when I'm not even using the phone? I have checked to make sure all apps are closed and they were so I know nothing was running through the night.

Last edited by lennie paz; 05-31-10 at 10:20 AM.
    05-31-10 09:58 AM
    Here is a log from MeterBerry after a full charge last night. Why am I getting battery discharge through the night when I'm not even using the phone? I have checked to make sure all apps are closed and they were so I know nothing was running through the night.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Your phone will use battery if it's on, it doesn't run off AC power when plugged in.
    05-31-10 10:16 AM
    There are several things that go on while you're phone is "sitting there." First, it's always looking for a tower, so if you're in a weak signal area, that will increase drain (and signal strength may vary from one room in the house to another. I once lived in a house where, the only place I could take/place a call, was from the NORTH edge of my dining room table, lol). Second, even though you have your apps closed, you may have some apps that do automatic updates/searches etc. at preset or scheduled times, or even routinely. For example, I have BerryWeather. Every hour, my phone updated the weather for the four locations I have set on the device. That takes some energy.

All this being said, your drain does seem a bit high for a phone sitting idle, so you may have apps running some service on a scheduled basis or, low signal strength. My phone, fully charged, will drain about 2-3% overnight, but no more.

05-31-10 10:47 AM
    There are several things that go on while you're phone is "sitting there." First, it's always looking for a tower, so if you're in a weak signal area, that will increase drain (and signal strength may vary from one room in the house to another. I once lived in a house where, the only place I could take/place a call, was from the NORTH edge of my dining room table, lol). Second, even though you have your apps closed, you may have some apps that do automatic updates/searches etc. at preset or scheduled times, or even routinely. For example, I have BerryWeather. Every hour, my phone updated the weather for the four locations I have set on the device. That takes some energy.

All this being said, your drain does seem a bit high for a phone sitting idle, so you may have apps running some service on a scheduled basis or, low signal strength. My phone, fully charged, will drain about 2-3% overnight, but no more.

My phone has full strength in my house and I do not have any apps that update as far as I know. Here is a list of apps installed:

Google Mobile
    CrunchSMS
    ESPN Mobile Web
    Garmin Mobile
    MeterBerry
    Opera Mini
    PatternLock
    Poynt
    QuickPull
    Verizon Backup Assistant
    BBM
    05-31-10 10:54 AM

That was much better put; mental note to self, answer questions after coffee and not before.
    Would like to add, for those raising their hands and saying "but I live in a good signal area and I don't have apps checking in", even if your phone is off it will still use battery power. It's a minimal discharge but a discharge nonetheless. And MeterBerry will monitor even with the phone off. The only way to prevent battery discharge is to remove the battery.
    Here's a MeterBerry screenie; I turn my phone off at night to charge, notice MeterBerry is still logging.

05-31-10 11:15 AM
    another thing I've noticed is that PRL version can SERIOUSLY effect your battery life, go to the dialer and punch in #4357* and hit send, scroll to PRL version and see what one you have, if it's a 65xxx series PRL call your local store and have them block the hybrid prl, if it's not a 65xxx series, call in and have them try to push it to you. on my S2 when i do have it, it's about a 4 hours till dead, with no usage, when I don't, it's more like 15-16 hours, though, if the groups I've got on the phone get active then it cuts it down quite a bit.
    05-31-10 11:21 AM
    another thing I've noticed is that PRL version can SERIOUSLY effect your battery life, go to the dialer and punch in #4357* and hit send, scroll to PRL version and see what one you have, if it's a 65xxx series PRL call your local store and have them block the hybrid prl, if it's not a 65xxx series, call in and have them try to push it to you. on my S2 when i do have it, it's about a 4 hours till dead, with no usage, when I don't, it's more like 15-16 hours, though, if the groups I've got on the phone get active then it cuts it down quite a bit.
    My PRL is showing 51866.
    05-31-10 11:25 AM
    My PRL is showing 51866.
    That could be part of the problem; mine is 40063. Try dialing *228 option 1, it updates PRL version.
    05-31-10 11:34 AM
    That was much better put; mental note to self, answer questions after coffee and not before.
    Would like to add, for those raising their hands and saying "but I live in a good signal area and I don't have apps checking in", even if your phone is off it will still use battery power. It's a minimal discharge but a discharge nonetheless. And MeterBerry will monitor even with the phone off. The only way to prevent battery discharge is to remove the battery.
    ]
    I read on wikipedia that batteries do discharge even if you removed it. They call it "self-discharge".
    05-31-10 11:35 AM
    That could be part of the problem; mine is 40063. Try dialing *228 option 1, it updates PRL version.
    I tried what you suggested and it still says the PRL is 51866.
    05-31-10 11:42 AM
    I read on wikipedia that batteries do discharge even if you removed it. They call it "self-discharge".
    That's true, I was referencing that the phone is actively using battery even in its off state, as it needs to be able to start itself up if auto on/off feature is used or powered off and waiting for the power button to be pressed.
    05-31-10 11:43 AM
    You may have taken him a bit too literally. I think most everyone knows that rechargeable batteries lose their charge even when sitting on a shelf...
    05-31-10 11:43 AM
    You may have taken him a bit too literally. I think most everyone knows that rechargeable batteries lose their charge even when sitting on a shelf...
    Thanks Dave I was going to add that I removed the battery to store my old phone but thought that was a tad redundant. Two months there and no charge.
    05-31-10 11:54 AM
    I tried what you suggested and it still says the PRL is 51866.
    Try *228 option 2. I did both after you posted this and mine changed from 40063 to 40064.
    I did note that I didn't see the message that PRL was being updated like I used to either time.
    05-31-10 12:02 PM
    my bad.
    05-31-10 12:43 PM
    LithiumIon batteries typically discharge at the rate of about 1% a DAY if they're just sitting there, so it's minimal. Meterberry wouldn't even notice it until a good 20-24 hours from full charge (and my guess is, it may even be a bit longer than that initially, and then slightly increase as the charge begins to drop).
    05-31-10 04:00 PM
    My problem with drain is maybe a little worse. I can talk or surf for about 10 mins a and it will go completely dead and rebot. So I'll be getting phone #3 and new battery this week...
    05-31-10 09:36 PM
    Try *228 option 2. I did both after you posted this and mine changed from 40063 to 40064.
    I did note that I didn't see the message that PRL was being updated like I used to either time.
    Still no luck.I tried option 2 and the PRL doesn't change.
    06-01-10 07:20 AM
    same here its not changing, i tried option 1 and 2
    06-01-10 07:28 AM
    Verizon issues several PRL's with each revision, and the one you receive depends on your plan, phone model and location.
    The Roaming Zone-Roaming FAQ
    06-01-10 11:27 AM
    Well my problem has been solved. I installed a hybrid from Willyboy and now my battery life is 10 times better. With my phone sitting idle, it takes hours for the battery to go down any. Before, I would unplug my phone from the charger, and 10 minutes later it would drop to 95%. Now it takes about 4 hrs to go down to 95%.
    06-03-10 07:04 PM
    I never really had major battery issues. Just thought it could have been better compared to some other peoples. I bought the Seidio 1750? And it actually die improve my battery life. Nothing major but its noticeable. Even after reading someone personally tested a ton of different batteries for phone and Seidios were supposedly worse than OEM. I have a 1650 for my Bold 9000 also and they both worked better than OEM.
    06-03-10 11:05 PM
    Well my problem has been solved. I installed a hybrid from Willyboy and now my battery life is 10 times better. With my phone sitting idle, it takes hours for the battery to go down any. Before, I would unplug my phone from the charger, and 10 minutes later it would drop to 95%. Now it takes about 4 hrs to go down to 95%.
    WHich Hybrid is it?
    06-04-10 03:50 AM
    WHich Hybrid is it?
    WillyBoy v2.3
    06-06-10 01:05 AM
    WillyBoy v2.3
    I am running the same. Willy's 705 is my fourth hybrid. I had lyricidals also. I tried the 517 and 607 radio and I haven't really noticed any great impact on my battery life . I use twitter a lot also BBM ,Berryblab ,mail,YM,Gtalk and I always ended up draining my battery.

So I learned just to live with. I always bring a charger ,a usb cable and a car charger. I just charge the thing whenever I can . For me having an extra battery is just a hassle.

Also whenever there is a bad 3g signal ,I just switch it off or use the wifi. Helps a lot.
    06-06-10 03:19 AM
241 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD