So I guess my wife and I both have "special" Storm2's that work well with 607? Gee, I don't REMEMBER ordering "special" phones. Must have slipped my mind.
    No. I highly doubt you and your wife have "Special" phones. Never said that although good for you that you haven't had a problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 10:05 PM
    Interesting...could be some truth to .607 being radio intense..
    I agree because after down grading back to the .451 and letting it settle, I can confirm that I now receive two bars in a specific place whereas before I was struggling to keep one. Good call.

05-27-10 10:28 PM
    I had a very similar experience. I run 451 and have a discharge rate of between 2% -3% with wifi constantly enabled, bluetooth off, network set to 1XEV, backlight at 60, one theme and about one dozen apps. I tried running 607 with the same apps, and settings. After a 5 day "settle-in" period I was charging multiple times a day as well.

It's not an unusual problem.
    I tried everything to maintain the battery after the 607 upgrade. I turned off GPS, switched to 1XV, turned the back light down to 10 etc. It just didn't work for me. I'm glad I researched the problem.

05-27-10 10:46 PM
    No. I highly doubt you and your wife have "Special" phones. Never said that although good for you that you haven't had a problem.

IF you were to read some of my posts from months ago, you'd see I've periodically had ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS. Without "historical" perspective, you've obviously gotten a very distorted idea of what sort of experience (in total) I've had with blackberry phones, dating back to April of last year. Take a peak at some of my threads going back that far, and then get back to me.
    05-28-10 09:26 AM
    Hey, Dave: Even I was not aware that you've had "all sorts of problems." Rather than suggest someone sift through some 2,000+ posts of yours, a HUGE chunk of which are mostly "I have great battery life" "No utilities" and "both my wife and my phone have long battery life and no utilities" it might be useful to put 3 or 4 bullet points here of the more serious issues you've encountered.

Just a suggestion. I doubt anyone is going to want to plow through all your posts!

IF you were to read some of my posts from months ago, you'd see I've periodically had ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS. Without "historical" perspective, you've obviously gotten a very distorted idea of what sort of experience (in total) I've had with blackberry phones, dating back to April of last year. Take a peak at some of my threads going back that far, and then get back to me.
    05-28-10 10:55 AM
    I'm running .607, battery drain typically is not a problem. I have GPS and Wifi enabled. The only time I've had a problem with battery drain is when signal (phone, GPS or Wifi) is not good, such as when I enter an area with poor reception (switches to 1X). I believe my problem is related to application (BerryWeather) who relies then on one of these connections. It appears to try repeatedly to get updates (as it should). I find that if I turn off it's updates during these periods the battery life improves. However, the loss of one of the other signals (cell tower, GPS or Wifi) still has impact on battery life - best to turn off whatever isn't needed to maximize the battery life during those periods.
    05-28-10 11:20 AM
    Hey, Dave: Even I was not aware that you've had "all sorts of problems." Rather than suggest someone sift through some 2,000+ posts of yours, a HUGE chunk of which are mostly "I have great battery life" "No utilities" and "both my wife and my phone have long battery life and no utilities" it might be useful to put 3 or 4 bullet points here of the more serious issues you've encountered.

Just a suggestion. I doubt anyone is going to want to plow through all your posts!
    I don't blame anyone for not wanting to take the time to review old posts, but thought I'd throw it out there in case someone wanted to base their ramblings on something other than their misinformed notion that I'm some sort of BB apologist or fanboi. I've got a history of "telling it like it is" and it isn't always positive. But as far as 607 goes, I find it laughable that a few CB members are carrying on like 607 is awful and should be avoided in favor of older versions or hybrids. Not everyone wants to make a hobby out of their cell phone. My phone doesn't sit in a home "laboratory", being endlessly replenished with the "lastest" and "greatest" leaked OS. I actually (gasp) USE my phone. I don't play with it.
    05-28-10 12:29 PM
    Easy solution. Just keep a spare battery charged. When one drains, change it.
    The charger is cheap from verizon's website.

BTW, my battery life has ALWAYS been crap. S1, S2, and all OS's.
    05-28-10 12:30 PM
    Agreed. I'm sitting in a hotel in Dallas, TX at the moment, experiencing the worst signal strength I've ever had with VZW. I've been here three days and noticed my battery life is down about 30%. Obviously, if the phone is cranking away trying to find a signal, it's going to eat away at the battery. Thank goodness I brought a spare!

05-28-10 12:31 PM
    Agreed. I'm sitting in a hotel in Dallas, TX at the moment, experiencing the worst signal strength I've ever had with VZW. I've been here three days and noticed my battery life is down about 30%. Obviously, if the phone is cranking away trying to find a signal, it's going to eat away at the battery. Thank goodness I brought a spare!

IF you want a truly atrocious Verizon signal, head down to southern Corpus Christi.
    05-28-10 12:39 PM
    Lyricidal's .517/.692 has a 1-2% discharge rate with moderate usage and 3-4% with heavy which is simply amazing to me, my Storm 1's battery life still kicked *** though I could go over a day with no charge without worrying. Can never do that with this Storm 2.
    05-28-10 06:00 PM
    Lyricidal's .517/.692 has a 1-2% discharge rate with moderate usage and 3-4% with heavy which is simply amazing to me, my Storm 1's battery life still kicked *** though I could go over a day with no charge without worrying. Can never do that with this Storm 2.
    Sure you can, Im back on ooakdpc .591 hybrid for .517 and I went 29 hours i believe earlier this week before I charged at 5%.
    05-28-10 08:39 PM
    I've been down the hybrid route myself prior, never found any that truly improved battery life. I'm running stock .607, battery discharge runs 1.5-2% which is about same as you've reported with your hybrid.
    05-28-10 08:50 PM
    Sure you can, Im back on ooakdpc .591 hybrid for .517 and I went 29 hours i believe earlier this week before I charged at 5%.
    Don't take this wrong, but that's not really impressive. I'm down 28% in past 15 hours, moderate usage today with a couple calls, texts, browsing,etc. And I'm running stock .607. Taking performance today I would run 50+ hours before I'd have to recharge. I easily go a full day on a single charge (as long as I'm in area with good reception).
    05-28-10 08:54 PM
    between bbm, text and that im probably on the internet more than most people (bc i have a lot of free time at work) i think its pretty good. Like enough free time to look at it from charged to dead. If im not at work Ive had that kind of performance also, was about 2.5 days, but i didnt keep track of the exact hours.
    05-28-10 09:06 PM
    btw i am going back to 517 as we speak. Groups being broken was the deal breaker.
    05-28-10 10:03 PM
    Anybody noticed that using wifi is better on battery life? I usually turn off the 3g coz of the bad signal at our workplace and I actually get better discharged rates with just plain wifi.
    05-28-10 11:42 PM
    Anybody noticed that using wifi is better on battery life? I usually turn off the 3g coz of the bad signal at our workplace and I actually get better discharged rates with just plain wifi.
    I would say that supports signal searching as a battery drain, yes.

05-29-10 03:49 AM
    I always leave all my BlackBerries on gprs edge. I use my BlackBerry to message. Not much else!!! Lol. 3g kills my battery in nada!!!

05-29-10 04:25 AM
    I always leave all my BlackBerries on gprs edge. I use my BlackBerry to message. Not much else!!! Lol. 3g kills my battery in nada!!!

Good for you! With verizon CDMA i can't switch off 3G ,there's no 2G/3G switch!
    05-29-10 06:51 AM
    My battery drain seems pretty bad too. For example, I charged my phone overnight to a full charge. I woke up and browsed the net for about 10 minutes and went on ESPN for about another 5 minutes. I then downloaded BerryBlab to check it out and my battery went down to 93%. I am running Lyricidal's 517/705 hybrid. Does that seem like normal battery drain? Sometimes I won't be doing anything after a full charge with all apps closed and I will lose 5-10% within the first half hour.
    05-29-10 09:28 AM
    I couldn't read the whole thread but offer this advice. I have had all the usual battery problems but now have reduced usage to about <0.5%/hr if the phones lies unused on my desk, to 1-2%/hr for moderate routine use, to >3-5%/hr for a lot of usage throughout the day. Phone calls take at least 10%/hr.

In addition to the usual cures (switching to 1X, turn off blue tooth, etc) it has been mentioned that poor signals can really suck down the battery. My solution to this has been to use the app "Radio Saver". This app shuts down the radios when the signal goes below a set value (105 dB is the default I am using) and then checks periodically (also settable) as to when to turn it back on. This has been the final piece of the puzzle to getting my phone to easily last through the entire day. Of course, if you are always in an area where the signal is great then this won't be a significant effect for your phone.

Hope this hasn't been mentioned before in which case I apologize. Also, not affiliated with this product other than being a satisfied customer.
    05-29-10 11:20 AM
    My battery drain seems pretty bad too. For example, I charged my phone overnight to a full charge. I woke up and browsed the net for about 10 minutes and went on ESPN for about another 5 minutes. I then downloaded BerryBlab to check it out and my battery went down to 93%. I am running Lyricidal's 517/705 hybrid. Does that seem like normal battery drain? Sometimes I won't be doing anything after a full charge with all apps closed and I will lose 5-10% within the first half hour.
    Possibly? I've been using mine for about an hour and I'm only at 97%. I've been using OoaKDPC's .607/.676 for a couple weeks and I rather like how it handles power usage.

Last edited by genomos; 05-29-10 at 12:12 PM.
    05-29-10 12:08 PM
    Possibly? I've been using mine for about an hour and I'm only at 97%. I've been using OoaKDPC's .607/.676 for a couple weeks and I rather like how it handles power usage.

how do you guys take a screen shot of your bb screens?

after the last 2 days of using a hybrid os the only time i see rapid battery drain is when i am on the phone,,
    05-29-10 12:36 PM
    how do you guys take a screen shot of your bb screens?

after the last 2 days of using a hybrid os the only time i see rapid battery drain is when i am on the phone,,
    I use the screen capture included with QuickLaunch, but there's also CaptureIt which is a tiny app you can put on your phone, or if you use BBSAK, CrackUtil, or BBMCP on your computer you can plug in your device and do it that way as they include a screenshot function.

Edit: added links in case any are needed
    CaptureIt - www.thetechmogul.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout= blog&id=34&Itemid=50
    BBMCP - mcpfx.com/news.php
    BBSAK - rimgeeks.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=56&p=364#p364
    CrackUtil - forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackutil-85617/
    QuickLaunch - available for $4.99 from Crackberry app store

Last edited by genomos; 05-29-10 at 01:01 PM.
    05-29-10 12:41 PM
241 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD