As much as I hate to say it, my battery life on .320 was better than it has been on any other OS or hybrid.

The number #1 thing I've noticed is the phone. Any OS other than .320 really drains the battery when I'm using the phone.

Not really trying to jump into the argument, just my 2�
    05-26-10 03:37 PM
    pretty good post buddy.

On my current S2, it has been stock .607, .607 #2, .320, .607/676 (#3), and .517/591. I tried to make .607 work while I was figuring out how to get my .517 work, which took about 6 days I guess. And Ive had most of ooakdpc hybrids since January, 2 of lyricydals, and one from the new guy tank. I gave it a day and I do 6 battery pulls. My settings are always the same, apps are the same ones Ive had for months (only berrybuzz, quicklaunch, Opera, FB, simpleweather, and TaskManager). .607 just would not cooperate. With that being said, TaskManager is very handy in telling you what you have open, and i do actually look at it quite often bc at work I look at FB and the internet to pass the time. I cant have my battery dying on a 12.5 hr shift, so i wanna know whats running to get my phone to last all day long...
    05-26-10 03:38 PM
    That is an impressing battery life with BerryWeather and Twitter updating every 15 minutes! I set Twitter to 1hr and BerryWeather every 2 hours. My phone setting like brightness and backlight and all that are about the same as yours too. I have ONLY tried .517 or hybrids based of .517. I wonder if mine is worse just cause I'm on GSM network... I get about 5% discharge with "light" usage. "heavy" would be around 10%. Streaming over EDGE is like 25-30%, but that is cause EDGE is slow and it is constantly getting data, even though Flycast can cache, EDGE is just too slow. It streams fine though.

Maybe I will try a .607 hybrid soon...
    I tried having them update at an hour or more but find battery life to be better at 15 minutes, doing a battery pull should in tbrort have them all updating at the same time so the device isn't always connecting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 03:41 PM
    That is an impressing battery life with BerryWeather and Twitter updating every 15 minutes! I set Twitter to 1hr and BerryWeather every 2 hours. My phone setting like brightness and backlight and all that are about the same as yours too. I have ONLY tried .517 or hybrids based of .517. I wonder if mine is worse just cause I'm on GSM network... I get about 5% discharge with "light" usage. "heavy" would be around 10%. Streaming over EDGE is like 25-30%, but that is cause EDGE is slow and it is constantly getting data, even though Flycast can cache, EDGE is just too slow. It streams fine though.

Maybe I will try a .607 hybrid soon...
    I keep Twitter (via SocialScope) updates at 15 min, BerryWeather at 30 minutes. GPS on, Bluetooth off, Backlight 50%, 1XEV, etc. Usually experience 2-3%/hr battery drain during "idle" periods.
    05-26-10 03:41 PM
    It's a combination of the user, the apps, and the software on the device.
    This is all that needs to be said...../ Thread.
    05-26-10 03:42 PM
    I tried having them update at an hour or more but find battery life to be better at 15 minutes, doing a battery pull should in tbrort have them all updating at the same time so the device isn't always connecting.

I thought about synchronizing my times too, but I notice Twitter updates everytime you open it. Does that effect its automatic update times? Although, in my case, they are synchronized, just BW updates every other time. I will play with them though...

Edit: Big Cat 7 - True!!
    05-26-10 03:47 PM
    I notice that the biggest battery drainer for me is actual screen usage (clicking) and surfing through the OS. When I holster it often and dont remove it, I get good battery life. But when I fiddle with it a lot and remove it from the holster often, then I have a drain exactly how the op explained. This is regardless of what apps are opened.
    05-26-10 10:14 PM
    i got this crazy battery drain on my 9550 since buy it 4 month ago...full charge can only stand for 3-4hours..yesterday i buy 1 replacement battery...get it full charge..and start using from 4.30 pm..i running .607 OS ..i running facebook,viigo,IM+,foursquare,google talk and yahoo messenger on the background...plus my GPS and wifi is on..i do some browsing ,download, phone call, texting and leave it on one whole night...and today at 1.00pm i still got 80% battery left...yes my problem is settle...
    05-26-10 11:24 PM
    I've learned something while reading this thread that has really helped my battery performance. You know how when you 1st take the fone out of the box you're supposed to charge it FULLY, right? But come on... brand new 9550? I just wanted to get started right away! Anyway, I am weary of overcharging my battery because I know that can kill a battery as evidenced by my Razr years ago and my original laptop battery. So I use BerryBuzz to alert me of when the battery is at "100%."

Someone suggested charging it for a full 8 hours so I thought I'd try that because my battery wouldn't last me a full day even if it was completely idle probably. So for the first time ever last night I charged my S2 through the night. When I woke up, instead of BerryBuzz's normal yellow blinking LED to indicate "100%" charged, there was a solid green LED. Interesting. Now the fone has been on for over 3 hours and I've sent some emails and done some other stuff (no calls yet) but the battery is sitting at a very healthy 96%! Normally it would be closer to 80% by now. So for anyone having a battery issue I would suggest that. Charge it through the night and wait for the green light! Worked for me. Thanks!
    05-27-10 08:05 AM
    It can be for some, as previously stated. I myself noticed a major change in my drain running the same apps as I've always run on other OS's, and this was after I had let it settle and ran it for about a week. .607 might not be bad for everyone including yourself as you've stated quite often, but there are a bit too many people posting about it to be a fluke.

One thing I've often wondered about is it could be the OS because of different radio versions from OS to OS. And it could be that the radio on .607 isn't as good as previous versions. However, hybrid makers have put different Java files over the same radio with different results in regards to battery performance. Example: currently I'm running OoAKDPC's .607/.676 hybrid and I'm quite happy with my battery life. The base unaltered stock .607 did not work for me; I had to charge my device at about noon-ish everyday I had it. I downgraded back to .517 until I saw the .607/.676 hybrid, and gave that a whirl - with phenomenal results. His .607/.692 didn't work as well, had the same massive drain as the stock .607 so I rolled back to the .676 hybrid. This version, with the same apps as I stated above, will go 2 days with easy usage. It'll last a full day with heavy usage.
    I have the day off today, so I slept in and didn't pull my phone off the charger till after 10am. After which I've been off and on the phone as we just got back from a week in Texas, and this morning I upgraded Opera Mini 5 as I noticed there was a newer version, after which the phone required a reset.
    Here's a cap of MeterBerry:

What I consider "normal" is 2-4%, with anywhere from 40% - 20% left at midnight. Light or no usage will go 2 days. This is on OoAKDPC's .607/.676 hybrid, which I've been using for 2 weeks. That needs to be made clear.

And just to satisfy Dave, here's what I'm running:
    BerryWeather (pd version) 15 minute updates, no GPS
    guzzl3r's BB TouchSmart BW version
    Crackberry launcher
    Google Maps
    MeterBerry 15 minute update
    MyVerizon
    Opera Mini 5
    Poynt
    Quicklaunch
    Crackberry Superstore
    Ultimate Lock
    Weatherpeek
    MemoPad
    Password Keeper
    Tasks
    Twitter for BlackBerry (RIM's app) 15 minute update
    Yahoo
    -screen is set to 10% brightness, backlight timeout 45 seconds, mobile network 1XEV, WiFi and BlueTooth always on, GPS always on. Any other settings of interest I'm not listing as I don't think they're directly impacting, but will add if anyone is curious.
    (added) I also have a refurb with the updated screen, and works perfectly.

I would like to point out something in Dave's defense though. It's been said in other threads and this one as well that once someone's device settles in it works pretty well. And Dave has had his at least for a month or two with .320; I recall him waiting on one for a screen replacement back in February or March. After which he upgraded to the official .607 and has been using it ever since. This also supports the claim that if one downgrades to .320 and then installs .607 the battery life would improve, as some have said in this very thread. This being said, it doesn't surprise me at all that Dave, using his device with little or no extra/3rd party apps, gets great mileage from his battery.

So after all that, I'm saying that Dave does have a point with some apps - not all apps - can impact battery life. But he's going overboard with his assertation that to get the best battery life one shouldn't install anything on their device. That's not why we were given more app memory, just to let it sit there. It's a combination of the user, the apps, and the software on the device.
    I've never said to not install "anything". I've got 18+ apps on my phone. What I HAVE said is that utilities can be the source of excessive battery usage, as well as certain features enabled in apps that aren't "utilities". One prime example being Latitude in Google Maps.
    05-27-10 09:09 AM
    fired my phone up at 630 this morning now 1030 battery sitting at 89% 2.8% loss with medium usage,, so i am not sure if it was the os change or not went from 607 to .517 last night i am refraining from plugging it in to see how low i get after 8 hours now i can also say i have not turned my google lattitude on yet today i may do that tomorrow to see how it goes
    05-27-10 09:29 AM
    4.5 hours and I'm still at 95%
    05-27-10 09:39 AM
    4.5 hours and I'm still at 95%
    i am sure i would be there as well but i am sitting in a conference room inside a jail ,,, and there are no repeaters so my signal is fluctuating alot at this point
    05-27-10 09:42 AM
    I've never said to not install "anything". I've got 18+ apps on my phone. What I HAVE said is that utilities can be the source of excessive battery usage, as well as certain features enabled in apps that aren't "utilities". One prime example being Latitude in Google Maps.
    You consider Google Latitude a Utility??

I would love for you to break it down exactly why "utilities" cause excess battery drain compared to any normal App? I assume you know a little about App Developing, right? I mean, you are stating it as fact, so I would think so...
    05-27-10 11:47 AM
    Switched back to .451 and noiced a big change. Not to add gas to the fire but might be the radio in the .607 version causing the massive drain?

05-27-10 11:52 AM
    You consider Google Latitude a Utility??

I would love for you to break it down exactly why "utilities" cause excess battery drain compared to any normal App? I assume you know a little about App Developing, right? I mean, you are stating it as fact, so I would think so...
    No. Google Maps or Latitude is not something I consider a utility. Not sure where you got that idea as I've never stated that Google maps is a utility. I've previously listed numerous apps that are classified as "utilities". I'm not about to list them all again.
    05-27-10 12:20 PM
    I have been having battery problems with my storm 9550 for the past month. So i called verizon and they sent me a new battery that i received in the mail today..Charged it up completely and I also bought meterberry to assist. After a full charge i received a 1min and 13sec phone call and my battery percent went from 100 to 92!! and it is currently %87 after about 30 mins from being off the charger. I have to charge my phone about 3 times a day just to make it through the day. I thought a new battery would fix everything but evidently not. I dont have any extra apps running that could drain my battery so quick. I am also running OS .607. Someone please tell me what the problem could be!!
    The .607 OS is horrible with a capital H. I recently downgraded to the 451 and after letting the OS settle in for about a week I'm able to use my device wIthout having to charge it four times a day. For me, the pros of the 451 Highly outweigh the cons. If you have to be consciously aware of your battery all day it seems to take away from any convenience. Good luck.

05-27-10 02:36 PM
    The .607 OS is horrible with a capital H. I recently downgraded to the 451 and after letting the OS settle in for about a week I'm able to use my device wIthout having to charge it four times a day. For me, the pros of the 451 Highly outweigh the cons. If you have to be consciously aware of your battery all day it seems to take away from any convenience. Good luck.

So I guess my wife and I both have "special" Storm2's that work well with 607? Gee, I don't REMEMBER ordering "special" phones. Must have slipped my mind.
    05-27-10 02:51 PM
    i think this thread may have turned into a flame session now

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-27-10 03:24 PM

I had a very similar experience. I run 451 and have a discharge rate of between 2% -3% with wifi constantly enabled, bluetooth off, network set to 1XEV, backlight at 60, one theme and about one dozen apps. I tried running 607 with the same apps, and settings. After a 5 day "settle-in" period I was charging multiple times a day as well.

It's not an unusual problem.
    05-27-10 03:49 PM
    Interesting...could be some truth to .607 being radio intense..
    05-27-10 03:58 PM
    yeah, sorta like when they thought the world was flat.
    05-27-10 04:58 PM
    i think this thread may have turned into a flame session now

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

"now"?? No, it turned sour a long time ago. Why this thread is still open is a mystery to me. Maybe the powers that be like watching train wrecks?
    05-27-10 04:59 PM
    radio intensity could very well be the problem. i read thru quite a few posts about weak radio and dropped calls from users who did the update. if it's struggling for a signal that will definitely drain the battery.
    05-27-10 05:43 PM
    radio intensity could very well be the problem. i read thru quite a few posts about weak radio and dropped calls from users who did the update. if it's struggling for a signal that will definitely drain the battery.
    My area is not great for verizon signals and I've no issue with battery life due to "radio intensity". Oftentimes I've got just a bar or two. and on an unrelated issue, my Storm, unlike my Star Tac and Kyocera phones, NEVER fails to connect or keep a call going. My LG 8300 also was tenacious at maintaining phone calls. So glad I ditched the Star Tac and Kyocera phones!
    Last edited by dave1812; 05-27-10 at 08:47 PM.
    05-27-10 08:45 PM
241 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD