quoted for impersonating a moderator. hehe jk.

607 is fine besides groups being messed up. Battery drain is fine. You might just have terrible coverage in your area.

You can't make blanket statements about it being horrible. I just showed you my meterberry, 3.7% drain. That isn't terrible battery life. You said it yourself, you can't make that stuff up.

edit: excuse me 3.4%. 517 had at least 5% drain for me (I still loved the os btw)
    I have 2.6% with 451. I would have to say 17.x% (I don't remember the exact percentage) with 607 is terrible; getting just over 4 hours of battery life is ridiculous.

Those aren't blanket statements, that is my experience with 607. as I have said before: YMMV.
    05-26-10 09:55 AM
    I have 2.6% with 451. I would have to say 17.x% (I don't remember the exact percentage) with 607 is terrible; getting just over 4 hours of battery life is ridiculous.

Those aren't blanket statements, that is my experience with 607. as I have said before: YMMV.
    I see you have yet to come clean as to what apps you are running. Why am I not surprised?
    05-26-10 10:53 AM
    I see you have yet to come clean as to what apps you are running. Why am I not surprised?
    yawn.....zzzzzzzzz
    05-26-10 10:58 AM
    Regardless of why, he is getting massive battery drain from something. If he used the same Apps on all other OS's it's not like he just added Google Latitude and it suddenly running in the background 24/7. I wouldn't be surprised if he wiped his phone and reloaded the OS, his drain would settle down some.

My point though, you can't blame Apps everytime someone has bad memory drain. Phones are meant to be used and many people run LOTS of Apps without any issues. There are a lot of things that could be causing it but blaming Apps is also a blanket statement, that you seem to love to preach.

However, if you are getting 17% discharge rate SOMETHING is up. Either reload the OS, load a hybrid over it, change it, do something. At some point common sense comes into play. RIM wouldn't release an OS if it had that massive of battery drain, not only that but Verizon also tested the OS. I'm not saying its anywhere near perfect but it can't be that awful in battery life.
    05-26-10 11:11 AM
    yawn.....zzzzzzzzz
    that's what I thought. you KNOW that if you list all your apps, you are gonna get nailed as the 607-sucks-whiner that you are. Do you see the Verizon site filled with complaints about 607? nope--didn't think so... Other than the intrepid, adventurous, daring, hobbyist-crackberry users, most people don't load their phone with a bunch of battery sucking utilities. and anyone with an IQ above 40 knows not to enable Latitude unless they have their phone frequently tethered to a USB charging cord. Ditch your battery killing apps or stop complaining!
    05-26-10 11:12 AM
    that's what I thought. you KNOW that if you list all your apps, you are gonna get nailed for the whiner that you are. Do you see the Verizon site filled with complaints about 607? nope--didn't think so... Other than the intrepid, adventurous, daring, hobbyist-crackberry users, most people don't load their phone with a bunch of battery sucking utilities. and anyone with an IQ above 40 knows not to enable Latitude unless they have their phone frequently tethered to a USB charging cord.
    I don't have Latitude. You can babble on all ya want, but you still don't know what you're talking about. And there are plenty of complaints about 607: slow keyboard response, bluetooth, and battery life are just a few.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/ne...es-vzw-445803/

Have someone read the posts in the above thread to you.
    05-26-10 11:17 AM
    I don't have Latitude. You can babble on all ya want, but you still don't know what you're talking about. And there are plenty of complaints about 607: slow keyboard response, bluetooth, and battery life are just a few.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/ne...es-vzw-445803/

Have someone read the posts in the above thread to you.
    the number of complaints are a drop in the bucket compared to how many people own storms. bluetooth works fine for the devices my wife and I own. bummer for those who have issues with BT. no problems here with volume or with playing music via BT. keyboard works fine. battery life is not one scintilla worse for us on 607 than it was on 320. and it's better than last year's .75 on the S1.

(If you hang out in the emergency room try not to get the wrong idea that all humans are sick or dying...)
    Last edited by dave1812; 05-26-10 at 11:24 AM.
    05-26-10 11:22 AM
    Oh, Google Latitude is a killer for sure! If you turned that one off alone, you would notice a nice boost in battery life.
    the only reason i use lattitude is to find out where my boss is ... lol gotta make sure he is not sneaking up on me...
    05-26-10 11:24 AM
    the only reason i use lattitude is to find out where my boss is ... Lol gotta make sure he is not sneaking up on me...
    lol!!!!

-----------
    05-26-10 11:24 AM
    Same apps different OS different result. If you hang out in the CB forums try not to get the wrong idea that you know what you're talking about.
    05-26-10 12:02 PM
    Same apps different OS different result. If you hang out in the CB forums try not to get the wrong idea that you know what you're talking about.
    well, I'll give you this much--you are persistently RUDE! I can easily avoid matching your rudeness. I'll let you keep that distinction for yourself. Cheers!
    05-26-10 12:29 PM
    You are obviously a master of the English language as well.

There are so many variables that go into what you are talking about. Even if you loaded the same apps but in a different order you could get varying results. Your claim of 17.x% battery drain based on solely the o/s is laughable. If this was the case you would have everyone who loaded .607 complaining about it. Clearly that is not the case.
    05-26-10 12:34 PM
    On my brand new storm I tried 3 different .607 downloads in between trying to get .517 downloaded and I didn't find one that didn't drain the battery....with the same apps I've had for 3 months...theesame apps that lasted me 29 hours today on .517 before I needed to charge the battery

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 12:49 PM
    On my brand new storm I tried 3 different .607 downloads in between trying to get .517 downloaded and I didn't find one that didn't drain the battery....with the same apps I've had for 3 months...theesame apps that lasted me 29 hours today before I needed to charge the battery

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No way!! You mean you had THE SAME APPS installed on 517 AND 607 and you got DIFFERENT results.

This can't possibly be true!
    05-26-10 12:53 PM
    well, I'll give you this much--you are persistently RUDE! I can easily avoid matching your rudeness. I'll let you keep that distinction for yourself. Cheers!
    I think it's a little too late Dave.

ANYWAYS! You BOTH (you AND PLK) need to cool it before I break out the mod stick. And for the record, plk, is NOT me, but he IS a good dude and my friend!

Not all OSs work the same on all BBs, and Apps are a factor, BUT the OS is a factor, and the BB itself is a factor. Your mileage will vary folks, NO ONE IS WRONG here! EP has been about the most level headed in the arguement and the closest.
    05-26-10 01:01 PM
    Maybe a thread closure would be best...
    05-26-10 01:04 PM
    We CAN debate it, if you guy would just be cool with each other, SHESH!
    05-26-10 01:06 PM
    We CAN debate it, if you guy would just be cool with each other, SHESH!
    Well, let's see...the "other" guy has been calling me childish names. I, OTOH have been civil. Please explain how this discussion's descent into childish name calling is somehow MY fault. Please point out where I've been rude. Cut and paste any passage where I've been rude. As far as 607 goes, there is no large contingent of users claiming that it alone, kills battery life. To think that it does is missing the point of poor battery life--to wit--the applications (along with certain options) that can decimate battery life. 607, in and of itself, is NOT the problem with poor battery life.
    05-26-10 02:10 PM
    I Solved one of my battery drain mysteries, i thought it was socialscope+google latitude+gtalk+foursquare+viigo and forgot all about berryweather. I had gps on and update every 15mins and since at work i dont get good gps reception ofcourse since im in a building it would keep trying over and over to get my location then switch to cell tower. was at 13%/hr sometimes more to now about 6% with gps off and 6hr updates
    05-26-10 02:25 PM
    I Solved one of my battery drain mysteries, i thought it was socialscope+google latitude+gtalk+foursquare+viigo and forgot all about berryweather. I had gps on and update every 15mins and since at work i dont get good gps reception ofcourse since im in a building it would keep trying over and over to get my location then switch to cell tower. was at 13%/hr sometimes more to now about 6% with gps off and 6hr updates
    absolutely! extremely high battery drain is always about the apps and their settings. incredible that so many here are oblivious to that fact.
    05-26-10 02:39 PM
    607, in and of itself, is NOT the problem with poor battery life.
    really? because as i have clearly stated, the only thing i have changed to get my battery life back is the OS .607, no setting changes, no app changes, only OS. So clearly in MY case, OS .607 ONLY is the problem with my battery life.
    Ive tried all the OS for the S2 on all three that i have had, ONLY .607 has been a problem for me

For some reason, you alone are trying to tell everyone that has a had a problem with .607 that .607 was not really their problem at all...but some mystery problem that they could not find. Give it up!
    05-26-10 03:12 PM

At home I am in the 1-2%% range (where I have a strong cell signal). 3.4 is at work where i have a terrible signal.

What is YMMV? The point is 607 isnt terrible. It just isnt working for you for some reason.

edit: haha, I just saw pks mod post. I knew it wasn't you but I thought it was a close name. very funny.
    Last edited by waker; 05-26-10 at 03:17 PM.
    05-26-10 03:15 PM
    really? because as i have clearly stated, the only thing i have changed to get my battery life back is the OS .607, no setting changes, no app changes, only OS. So clearly in MY case, OS .607 ONLY is the problem with my battery life.
    Ive tried all the OS for the S2 on all three that i have had, ONLY .607 has been a problem for me

For some reason, you alone are trying to tell everyone that has a had a problem with .607 that .607 was not really their problem at all...but some mystery problem that they could not find. Give it up!
    i don't know though man. Now I am definitely not selling anything here (i know you were talking about someone else) but 607 has been good for me. I wonder if it is hardware. I have a replacement 9550 with the upgraded screen. I wonder what the real difference is.
    05-26-10 03:19 PM
    Well, let's see...the "other" guy has been calling me childish names. I, OTOH have been civil. Please explain how this discussion's descent into childish name calling is somehow MY fault. Please point out where I've been rude. Cut and paste any passage where I've been rude. As far as 607 goes, there is no large contingent of users claiming that it alone, kills battery life. To think that it does is missing the point of poor battery life--to wit--the applications (along with certain options) that can decimate battery life. 607, in and of itself, is NOT the problem with poor battery life.
    It can be for some, as previously stated. I myself noticed a major change in my drain running the same apps as I've always run on other OS's, and this was after I had let it settle and ran it for about a week. .607 might not be bad for everyone including yourself as you've stated quite often, but there are a bit too many people posting about it to be a fluke.

absolutely! extremely high battery drain is always about the apps and their settings. incredible that so many here are oblivious to that fact.
    One thing I've often wondered about is it could be the OS because of different radio versions from OS to OS. And it could be that the radio on .607 isn't as good as previous versions. However, hybrid makers have put different Java files over the same radio with different results in regards to battery performance. Example: currently I'm running OoAKDPC's .607/.676 hybrid and I'm quite happy with my battery life. The base unaltered stock .607 did not work for me; I had to charge my device at about noon-ish everyday I had it. I downgraded back to .517 until I saw the .607/.676 hybrid, and gave that a whirl - with phenomenal results. His .607/.692 didn't work as well, had the same massive drain as the stock .607 so I rolled back to the .676 hybrid. This version, with the same apps as I stated above, will go 2 days with easy usage. It'll last a full day with heavy usage.
    I have the day off today, so I slept in and didn't pull my phone off the charger till after 10am. After which I've been off and on the phone as we just got back from a week in Texas, and this morning I upgraded Opera Mini 5 as I noticed there was a newer version, after which the phone required a reset.
    Here's a cap of MeterBerry:

What I consider "normal" is 2-4%, with anywhere from 40% - 20% left at midnight. Light or no usage will go 2 days. This is on OoAKDPC's .607/.676 hybrid, which I've been using for 2 weeks. That needs to be made clear.

And just to satisfy Dave, here's what I'm running:
    BerryWeather (pd version) 15 minute updates, no GPS
    guzzl3r's BB TouchSmart BW version
    Crackberry launcher
    Google Maps
    MeterBerry 15 minute update
    MyVerizon
    Opera Mini 5
    Poynt
    Quicklaunch
    Crackberry Superstore
    Ultimate Lock
    Weatherpeek
    MemoPad
    Password Keeper
    Tasks
    Twitter for BlackBerry (RIM's app) 15 minute update
    Yahoo
    -screen is set to 10% brightness, backlight timeout 45 seconds, mobile network 1XEV, WiFi and BlueTooth always on, GPS always on. Any other settings of interest I'm not listing as I don't think they're directly impacting, but will add if anyone is curious.
    (added) I also have a refurb with the updated screen, and works perfectly.

I would like to point out something in Dave's defense though. It's been said in other threads and this one as well that once someone's device settles in it works pretty well. And Dave has had his at least for a month or two with .320; I recall him waiting on one for a screen replacement back in February or March. After which he upgraded to the official .607 and has been using it ever since. This also supports the claim that if one downgrades to .320 and then installs .607 the battery life would improve, as some have said in this very thread. This being said, it doesn't surprise me at all that Dave, using his device with little or no extra/3rd party apps, gets great mileage from his battery.

So after all that, I'm saying that Dave does have a point with some apps - not all apps - can impact battery life. But he's going overboard with his assertation that to get the best battery life one shouldn't install anything on their device. That's not why we were given more app memory, just to let it sit there. It's a combination of the user, the apps, and the software on the device.
    Last edited by genomos; 05-26-10 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
    05-26-10 03:23 PM
    That is an impressing battery life with BerryWeather and Twitter updating every 15 minutes! I set Twitter to 1hr and BerryWeather every 2 hours. My phone setting like brightness and backlight and all that are about the same as yours too. I have ONLY tried .517 or hybrids based of .517. I wonder if mine is worse just cause I'm on GSM network... I get about 5% discharge with "light" usage. "heavy" would be around 10%. Streaming over EDGE is like 25-30%, but that is cause EDGE is slow and it is constantly getting data, even though Flycast can cache, EDGE is just too slow. It streams fine though.

Maybe I will try a .607 hybrid soon...
    05-26-10 03:31 PM
241 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD