02-21-09 01:53 AM
35 12
tools
    I just got a new to me Explorer and the audio qualities are lacking to say the least (has a cassette player haha) and im looking to upgrade the head unit. I know numerous new units have iPod support (something i dont own anymore) so my question is..

Is there any specific head unit i should look at? I want to be able to use my Storm similar to an ipod to be my hub for all my music without the need for CDs.

Price isnt a real issue but i dont want to spend more than 200 for the head unit. Or if someone has a ghetto fab one that works im down with that too lol, i just want nice audio clarity.
    02-16-09 03:43 PM
    I have to run out to my car and check the deck i have (30 mins and Ill have the model) but my deck was about 200.00 after install and I had them put a 3.5mm cord from the back of it and it comes out the center consul.

The nice thing about that is it plugs into pretty much all head phone ports (cept 2.5mm) CD players, STORMS!, curves!, ipod, zue, ect.

It's pretty standard. Just remember that the port on your phone is 3.5mm.

Only problem is you can't control the devices from the CD deck.
    02-16-09 03:48 PM
    I haven't heard of any specific stereos that have Storm connectivity. But, you have two options that I can see. You could use a simple audio cord (3.5 mm). It would plug in to your earphone jack on your storm and then into an input jack on your stereo. Sound quality is pretty good. Second option (the best) is to buy a stereo with Bluetooth capabilities. Then you can do a bluetooth sync with your Storm. This would be a wireless connection. I don't think you would be able to buy a bluetooth compatable stereo for less than $200. If you find a better option then let us know. Good Luck.
    02-16-09 03:51 PM
    Is it loud? I have a audio cable that i run from my storm to my surround sound in the morning to get me going, and i usually have to turn the Storm to max volume, and then the SS pretty high to get it loud enough; not deafening loud, but i like it to be crisp and clear, not muffled if you understand what i mean. Do you have the same issue?
    02-16-09 03:54 PM
    You need to get a deck that has an AUX input then do as others have said and just use a 3.5 mm wire that has male tips on both ends. I have an alpine that has the aux inputs on the back so I just plugged in the cable and ran it under the carpet ad brought it up between the seats. On my 2 new cars they both come with aux inputs as most cars do. Check out crutchfield, they have al types of head decks, do a google search, I dont have enough posts to send you the link
    02-16-09 04:11 PM
    Crutchfield has some nice decks with built in bluetooth (no wires and hands free calls via your stereo). All of these are good and most are under $200
    02-16-09 04:12 PM
    thanks a lot, i'll let you know how everything goes going to be paying for this with my Tax Refund lol.
    02-16-09 04:14 PM
    If you are going to get a new head, I'd definitely try to go bluetooth. I bet you could find one on sale or buy a like new one on ebay. Let us know what you choose ad how it works out for you! I'm sure plenty of people will have this question in the future. Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 04:17 PM
    So the Bluetooth has the better sound quality over the jack inputs?

Im not afraid to drop the money on it if its worth it
    02-16-09 04:20 PM
    Hard wiring should be better, but with a quality unit I can't tell the difference. I love being able to have hands free calling and when I get in/out the car the bluetooth picks up automatically it's nice and clean.
    02-16-09 04:24 PM
    I guess a quality reciever will be the determinant then, looks like ill be taking my Storm around to the audio shops then to get a feel before i buy.

How is the battery life with using the media player and Bluetooth? Im assuming its got to be **** on the battery and is going to make a car charger necessary.
    02-16-09 04:29 PM
    I didn't follow your comment about a possible cassette. IF you have a cassette player, then go and get the cheapy dummy cassette and wire and do it. You will be so happy. DO NOT worry that the crappy headset that may have come with your Storm looks complicated - just plug the 2-channel cassette and wire in and enjoy.

If you live anywhere a big city, don't even think about BT and you precious music - the fade in and out will make you crazy.

If you are ready to do hands free like a pro, spring for a Motorola T-505. You will love it. Also, your Storm will not get confused, and he will fade the music out, take the call, and return, all very smoothly and seamlessly.

Doctor Neutron
    02-16-09 05:06 PM
    I agree with the T505 as it's a great unit and can be had for around $50. Actually got the wife one for V-Day. But since it takes bluetooth transmits to a radio frequency it's got some small static issues. Not nearly as a clear as my built in unit.
    02-16-09 05:21 PM
    I have a 2004 yukon xl. It has a cd player and cassette player but no port. I bought a cassette adapter. Works great. I have a Bose speaker system. If I get a call I can hear it through the speakers. When I'm done with the call it goes back to the music. Hope that helps.

02-16-09 05:38 PM
    Well i plan on doing more than putting just a receiver in there lol when im done, you'll know when me and my Storm is rolling down the street
    02-16-09 06:42 PM
    I'd get a head unit that has bluetooth paring for an audio gateway. Stereo bluetooth FTW ... I currently use a unit that has a 3.5mm aux input on the front and it works great ... as long as I dont plug in my phone to charge through the cig lighter ... then you get the hummm
    02-16-09 06:49 PM
    Pioneer has a Bluetooth sterio that will play music and phone calls through the explorers sterio system. There are 3 or 4 different ones though some are bluetooth ready, only one has the bluetooth all ready setup in it. I have it and it works amazing its the only thing i use really anymore. Most store workers dont know the differents so just ask if the sterio comes with the mic to talk.
    02-17-09 07:12 PM
    When I had my moto phone I played music with it using both Bluetooth and aux and Bluetooth sounded much better plus on my deck I could control the phone like skip pause etc from the deck

02-17-09 07:42 PM
    Hey if you need some professional advice on this PM me I actually own a car stereo shop and agree with a few replies here that suggested you getting a bluetooth capable deck and having it play through the bluetooth.
    02-17-09 09:11 PM
    I got a head unit that has a USB port and controls an ipod through that. What I found was that when I plugged in a jump drive with music on it was that it controlled it like it was an ipod. Then I plugged in my Storm, and it saw the memory card and controlled it too... Just tonight I went and got a dock for the storm and mounted it to the dash and hardwired it to the head unit... now when I get in the car, I just dock the storm, and it plays my music and I control it through the head init. works GREAT!

EDIT>> It's a Kenwood KDC-MP538U

Here is a link to it.

Kenwood KDC-MP538U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Its a lot cheaper than it was when I got it, but dont let the price fool you, it's a great unit.
    Last edited by Mightyjohn; 02-17-09 at 10:30 PM.
    02-17-09 10:26 PM
    here are a couple of pictures...

Last edited by Mightyjohn; 02-17-09 at 11:04 PM.
    02-17-09 10:56 PM
    oops... double post.
    02-17-09 11:02 PM
    I used my storm in a friends car that used the 3.5mm jack as input and like said earlier the volume just wasn't there. I would get an ipod just for he car and use the storm for every other situation. Older generation ipods can be had for cheap and it shouldn't be a bid deal since its just for the car anyways.

02-17-09 11:13 PM
    The moto T505 is really a good option especially if you are using slacker. I personally have no issues.
    02-18-09 12:47 AM
    great idea. all u would need now is a car charger to keep it charged while playing the tunes
    02-18-09 01:28 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD