I took some pictures using CaptureIt 1.4, because not many seem to understand what I'm talking about, but this is an ANNOYING bug that is present in all OS versions that no one has really talked about yet.

It is also present on all themes.

Here is my regular screen in landscape. Notice I have one message (highlighted on the messages icon) and it's 50 degrees cloudy

Now, if I flip it back to portrait from this view, everything reverts to what my Storm showed a couple minutes after a recent reboot. Notice there is no longer a message notification on the icon and the weather has reverted back to when I had no connection. This can also occur when pulling out of a lock into portrait mode, but not always.

Try this on default zen! See those big red asterisks that show up even if you don't have a text? Annoying!

Simply hitting the BB button then end button turns off the bug (as seen below)...however, just locking then unlocking (or going from landscape to portrait) makes it show up wrong again!

This is how the phone should look after the BB > EndKey fix.

See if you can replicate this, because I'm sure it is not my Storm. It has happened on all OS's, tons of battery pulls, different themes (including default zen), etc.

Sure, easy to fix, but most of the time I'm switching orientations, and it's annoying to be playing with your phone and having to disable the bug all the time.
    Last edited by jetman1287; 05-10-09 at 05:38 PM.
    05-10-09 03:47 PM
    You might want to have Civic check this out. She is good with finding those microscopic bugs
    05-10-09 05:25 PM
    never happened to me that i can remember on any themes or OS versions
    05-10-09 05:29 PM
    yup, i always have noticed this too, and weatherbug does the same thing...
    05-10-09 05:36 PM
    never happened to me that i can remember on any themes or OS versions
    It's tough because it's different for every user. You might be stuck with no asterisk while you have a message, or an asterisk when you have no FB message, etc...Maybe you don't switch from landscape to the homescreen often on your phone.

I do know though, that this is ONLY on the default, wallpaper-showing home screen. Switching from landscape to portrait in the full app menu mode will not show the bug.
    05-10-09 05:37 PM
    Does it do it without the theme installed ? I haven't had that problem .

Running .132
    05-10-09 05:43 PM
    I told you before this is something specific to some config on your Storm. My guess... Personal preferences or most likely your theme. I would reset folder save data and also tell us all if this problem happens on the standard theme.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 05:49 PM
    Does it do it without the theme installed ? I haven't had that problem .

Running .132
    Sure:

Normal Landscape

Buggy Portrait -- see the notification even though there's no new messages? BTW this happens for FB, SMS, Weatherbug, etc...in this case messages was the easiest to replicate though.

Last edited by jetman1287; 05-10-09 at 06:05 PM.
    05-10-09 06:01 PM
    I told you before this is something specific to some config on your Storm. My guess... Personal preferences or most likely your theme. I would reset folder save data and also tell us all if this problem happens on the standard theme.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Okay will take a look...how do you reset folder save data? This may be the issue...I know it is more than just me though. People have mentioned it in previous searches but some people just don't notice it.
    05-10-09 06:02 PM
    Ive posted about this also, never took pictures like you did but yes, exact same problem you are experiencing.

Civic told me to do a security wipe, tried that and it worked for awhile but its back to the same bug now.

Yes it is annoying and drives me nuts.

Im running .141 hybrid but i have seen this issue since .86
    05-10-09 06:03 PM
    Ive posted about this also, never took pictures like you did but yes, exact same problem you are experiencing.

Civic told me to do a security wipe, tried that and it worked for awhile but its back to the same bug now.

Yes it is annoying and drives me nuts.

Im running .141 hybrid but i have seen this issue since .86
    It randomly tends to reset after a battery pull...you will get it working for maybe 10, 15 minutes then it will "lock in" that homescreen until you do anther reboot...

Perhaps completely wiping with JLCDMR then reinstalling the OS? Not comfortable using that though, is that the best way to wipe?
    05-10-09 06:09 PM
    Well like ive said, ive seen this problem since .86 or so and since then i have totally wiped my phone and the problem still exists.

You can try a security wipe: Options/Security/General, BB Key, Wipe Handheld.

Make sure you have a backup though, cause it will wipe your contacts and stuff.

Like i said, it worked for me for awhile (security wiped the other day per Civics post) and then it just came back.
    05-10-09 06:17 PM
    I have the exact same problem. I am a storm owner and a total rookie to CB. My storm is so bug infested it has become unusable and I just switched back to my 8330 curve. I did a switch on BB Desktop Mgr. and now my curve has partial icons for Vcast music, visual voice mail, and vznav, but, none of those apps work...Where the **** is my Treo....
    05-10-09 06:17 PM
    I have the exact same problem. I am a storm owner and a total rookie to CB. My storm is so bug infested it has become unusable and I just switched back to my 8330 curve. I did a switch on BB Desktop Mgr. and now my curve has partial icons for Vcast music, visual voice mail, and vznav, but, none of those apps work...Where the **** is my Treo....
    Unuseable? have you tried a battery pull? did you install a leaked version? unuseable sounds like your using .65 still
    05-10-09 06:20 PM
    The only time i have ever had a message notification when nothing was there was when i first setup my visual voice mail. I would say its a bug with certain peoples phones but certainly not consistent across all OS, Theme or storms. It might be a bug but it is not affecting everyone. I think most people would report this if it was happening to everyone.
    05-10-09 06:25 PM
    The only time i have ever had a message notification when nothing was there was when i first setup my visual voice mail. I would say its a bug with certain peoples phones but certainly not consistent across all OS, Theme or storms. It might be a bug but it is not affecting everyone. I think most people would report this if it was happening to everyone.
    I agree, as i have been looking for answers to it since .86. Thats like the MMS bug, not everyone has experienced problems with it either but it does exist, but it is fixable.
    05-10-09 06:30 PM
    I found the solution

Change the grid layout from 4x4 to default.

Options-Advanced Options-Accessibility-Grid Layout (Default)
    05-10-09 07:03 PM
    I found the solution

Thanks, ill try that and post back if i ever have the issue again.
    05-10-09 07:09 PM
    I found the solution

Unbelievable...I think this may have done it!!! I was playing with so many settings too...will update after a couple days use. THANK YOU THIS HAS BEEN KILLING ME SINCE LAUNCH!

Now the question is -- how do I make 4x4 the default? Whatever the default is sucks =\
    05-10-09 07:16 PM
    So after 24 hours of use this has fixed the problem.

THANK YOU SO MUCH EMERSON!!!

For me, it's like having a new OS it was so frustrating

Let's hope RIM makes 4x4 work in future updates
    05-11-09 03:35 PM
    The default is 4x4

Isn't it?

NVM: it is in portrait but not landscape....
    05-11-09 03:45 PM
    The default is 4x4

Isn't it?

NVM: it is in portrait but not landscape....
    It's like 4x3 I guess...normal in portrait mode but bigger icons in landscape.
    05-11-09 03:53 PM
    Jet, if you can duplicate this by switching back to 4x4 (I can't seem to duplicate it on mine), I'll add this to the sticky list I have going, now that we know the details behind it. I guess what we need is someone else besides you to try and duplicate this by turning on 4x4 mode and for you to do it as well and see if it returns. Is this something you can do?
    05-11-09 04:03 PM
    Jet, if you can duplicate this by switching back to 4x4 (I can't seem to duplicate it on mine), I'll add this to the sticky list I have going, now that we know the details behind it. I guess what we need is someone else besides you to try and duplicate this by turning on 4x4 mode and for you to do it as well and see if it returns. Is this something you can do?
    Ill give this a whirl, i switched to default last night and its been great ALL day without any issues of the bug.

I will try switching back to 4x4 now and let it go a day or so and see if the bug comes back.
    05-11-09 04:49 PM
    I get the false Messages star icon using a simple Today theme. It randomly shows up on both the Today screen and the icon screen. With the Today screen I'm using the 2 rows setting.
    05-11-09 07:31 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD