It's sad that people have to use unofficial and homemade operating system updates, in order to make a phone that's not cheap tolerable...funny. No one should have to void there warranty, and alter a product they payed good money for, in order to make it function a little better (because no leak has yet to fix much). Unbelievable... Wake-Up people....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 09:59 AM
    Sad, but common. When I was running the HTC Touch phones we were constantly using the latest leaked version of WM. The Iphone is most useful when jailbroken (tho i understand that's not with leaked software).
    I agree we should have a more refined product in our hands, but as long as there are techies there will be those who tweak and tinker with gadgets. I'm really glad they do because it makes using the Storm a pleasant experience.
    05-15-09 10:06 AM
    It's sad that people have to use unofficial and homemade operating system updates, in order to make a phone that's not cheap tolerable...funny. No one should have to void there warranty, and alter a product they payed good money for, in order to make it function a little better (because no leak has yet to fix much). Unbelievable... Wake-Up people....

Leaked OS's do not void the warranty. VZW will not assist you if there is a software problem. But if the storm has a physical defect like a bad screen, and you have a leaked OS, they will still honor the warranty and replace it.
    05-15-09 10:13 AM
    A) As already pointed out, it doesn't void the warranty
    B) People are ALWAYS making "custom" modifications to things from lawnmowers to cars

By your logic, because I put a nitro booster into a Ferrari, the Ferrari must suck to begin with.

Back under the bridge with the rest of the trolls please.
    05-15-09 10:16 AM
    The way I see it is like buying a car. The car comes with certain specs from the manufacturer. These are the specs that the vast majority of buyers will accept and use. However, there will always be a small sub-set of buyers that know the car can perform better and start modding them with custom parts to pull that much more performance out of the same car.

Just like with the Storm, the current "official" OS can be dealt with by the vast majority of Storm users out there. Us on CrackBerry.com and other sites are the small sub-set of users who know better and "mod" our phones with the leaked OSs and themes and the such.

I'm personally thankful that I can do such with the Storm and am not completely at the mercy of the manufacturer and carrier to send out updates to resolve any issues I have.

What if your car was completely locked down so that any improvements can only be made by the dealer and manufacturer?

EDIT: bigman2, seems like great minds think alike.
    05-15-09 10:18 AM
    This is actually common with technology, OS for phones and computers, people always look for way to improve performance, whats the big deal? Once you buy an item YOU can do what YOU wish with it (i know captain obvious but point made).
    05-15-09 10:24 AM
    A person chooses to tweak a car, if they didn't the car would still run fine - MR. CLISHE

Well just like that car the storm does run fine before an upgrade on .75 (well for me it did) and just like the car with the upgrade its faster/better.
    05-15-09 10:34 AM
    A person chooses to tweak a car, if they didn't the car would still run fine - MR. CLISHE

How is this different from the Storm? The Storm isn't taking full advantage of its hardware, so we tweak it to make it better with what's provided to us. Without the tweaks, the Storm still runs does it not?

This is the biggest complaint here, that the Storm doesn't run "as well as it should". When has anything run "as well as it should"? As humans, we'll always figure out ways to make baseline specs run better.
    05-15-09 10:35 AM
    It does not matter if you have beta or official os on your storm, all the beta os out there are just betas for VZW for one single reason, it is not officially released by VZW. For all we all we know; Verizon on Monday could officially release 131. Bell/Telus released 122 and Vodaphone released 141 already.

So what does that mean, the storm users in crackberry are ahead of the game.
    05-15-09 10:45 AM
    Sad, but common. When I was running the HTC Touch phones we were constantly using the latest leaked version of WM. The Iphone is most useful when jailbroken (tho i understand that's not with leaked software).
    People didn't jailbreak the iPhone to get fixes for bugs that should have been resolved before the software was released, so it's not a great analogy. People jailbreak the iPhone so that they can add customizable themes, change fonts or download apps outside of the iTunes/App Store distribution.
    Last edited by mdude85; 05-15-09 at 11:07 AM.
    05-15-09 11:04 AM
    All I hear is excuses and off topic discussion about everthing from cars to other phones. Yet nobody want to face the facts, about the storm just a natural defense mechanism I guess. Bottom line people we've been had!!!!

I see the concept of an analogy escapes you... And what about the other posts that do directly address your issue? That a leaked and official OS has no difference other than one being "approved" by a company.

I don't see how we've "been had" if these leaks are available for us to install. If there weren't then I'd agree with you. But bottom line is that they are and you should be thankful they are.
    05-15-09 11:20 AM
    People modify things all the time. Car, home, why would it be any different on a cell phone? On my wm phone I modified the heck putta that thing b4 the storm came around.

05-15-09 11:24 AM
    Lets compare the two, where can I find the official Verizon .141 ?
    The same place the iPhone OS 3.0 is. The Land of Pending.

But seriously, aside from having an "official" label on it, does the "official" .141 and leaked .141 have any coding differences?
    05-15-09 11:25 AM
    I see the concept of an analogy escapes you... And what about the other posts that do directly address your issue? That a leaked and official OS has no difference other than one being "approved" by a company.

I don't see how we've "been had" if these leaks are available for us to install. If there weren't then I'd agree with you. But bottom line is that they are and you should be thankful they are.
    I see you don't understand very well. You should not have to used homemade or leaked os's . Is that plain enough for you?

05-15-09 11:47 AM
    You should not have to used homemade or leaked os's .
    see now youre missing the point, we dont HAVE to, we CHOOSE to. check the other forums, thats what blackberry users do, tinker and alter our devices. even if the storm worked flawless there would still be people fookin around with it and making hybrids, and downloading leaks. thats just kind of what we do around here.

thus is the nature of inquisitive man.
    05-15-09 11:56 AM
    I see you don't understand very well. You should not have to used homemade or leaked os's . Is that plain enough for you?

No one is making you. If higher performing software is out there for free, then why not take advantage of it? If you follow the posted instructions, it will not brick your phone. And there's even instructions on how to revert back if some bad does happen.

And name me a single manufacturer that releases something that's "perfect" to everyone's needs. You won't be able to find a single one on the face of this planet because everyone will find something to improve on that the manufacturer didn't "officially" release.

The vast majority of Storm uses don't use the leaked OSs. Like I said, the ones that want to boost the performance from baseline will "mod" the Storm to perform better.
    05-15-09 11:57 AM
    You are running a leaked os stormy?

HMMMM you need to shut up. You probably loaded the os wrong since you cant spell type or answer a question. So that being said. We understand what you are saying, what we are looking for are your reasons, your proof. If it was so bad why not take it back in 30days?? because you ASSUMED a new offical os would be out....hmmm. How is that anyones fault but yours? Face it you bought a phone that is smarter than you and now your pissed cause it wont **** you off.
    The only reason you still have the phone, is because you're waiting on an update. And my proof is all the compliants and rants about your beloved "smart phone". If by any chance you believe the storm is a smartphone, that would explain everything.

05-15-09 12:03 PM
    LOL you are killing me..you bought it cause you wanted the Iphone but knew you couldnt get service with ATT. Now your mad cause you are stuck with a phone that isnt designed for multi-media. and define smart phone if you know so much?

and I could care less about a new 'offical' os. this phone works perfect for what i need on .75, but i update it because i like to see whats out there.
    05-15-09 12:06 PM
    The only reason you still have the phone, is because you're waiting on an update. And my proof is all the compliants and rants about your beloved "smart phone". If by any chance you believe the storm is a smartphone, that would explain everything.

[sarcasm]Yes, that's exactly it. I keep my Storm only because I'm waiting for an official update.

Not because it has the only touchscreen for a BlackBerry, that I like Verizon's total coverage, that it handles all my IMs, texts, e-mails, games, personal finances, web browsing, pictures, videos, music, etc. etc. all in one nice package.

Obviously my personal reasons for having it means jack. It's all about keeping it for the "official" update.[/sarcasm]
    05-15-09 12:13 PM
    Everything people have, they modify its human nature to always improve. You have a car, if your into it, do you not mod it and possibly void warranty at same time? faster and nicer looking, etc? Its not just the Storm that these things are done on, so get over it, its life. Its done on Cars, Pc's, Phones, lawnmowers, rc cars, other phones, etc
    Last edited by Bigdaddy2009; 05-15-09 at 12:26 PM.
    05-15-09 12:18 PM
    Please! Stop! I'm begging you! I'm fighting off a bit of stomach flu that's been making its way through the office, and I'm teetering on the edge of having to go home because I'm too sick. If you keep making me laugh like that, I'm going to have to go home for the day.
    You don't have any time on BES though, do you?
    05-15-09 12:31 PM

says the person with ".113" in their equipment info....
    05-15-09 12:49 PM
    No real trouble with BES, other than the overall design of it, if you are using WLAN is is idiotic that you have a point of entry on you exchange server, also it sucks that everything goes though a third party, plus being required to install it on your exchange server is stupid too.
    05-15-09 12:50 PM
    The even more pitiful part is that the fanbois around here argue that there is no difference between a "leak" and an official release, because it is a digitally signed binary.
    Technically there is no difference. If a build is leaked to the internet, and later approved as an "official" by a carrier, they are the same software. There is no technical change to the build; the carrier adds vendor splash pages, wallpapers, themes, etc...

Btw the "official" tag is becoming quite arbitrary, since different carriers offer different services and have different standards and expectations. What is official for one carrier fails miserably with another.

Umm, I mean GO AWAY, TROLL!!!

sorry, can't be a known accomplice to these trouble makers
    Last edited by patches152; 05-15-09 at 05:51 PM.
    05-15-09 12:52 PM
    trying to translate your ****** here, but yea says it all. You are an employee. You dont nor will you ever run the BES for your workplace. wow so all in all, you said all that stuff, for nothing? all of things you just complained about are why your boss has a BES setup. For morons like you to stay outta ****. good god!!! all this for THAT ??
    LOL you have no idea what I am talking about do you, thanks for proving my point.

Since you guys can not seem to figure it out, the difference between the leaks and official, is QA, there are problems with them preventing Verizon from releasing them.
    05-15-09 12:57 PM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD