Remember the 2nd storm commercial when the blue highlight followed the guy's finger around?

Well it IS possible.

Here's how:

Hide as many icons on your home screen as you can. If you can't hide everything, perhaps make a new folder for the "search, setup, connection manager" etc icons.

Do this until you have ONLY FOUR ROWS, SO THAT NO SCROLLING IS NEEDED.

Now glide your finger around.

TADA!!

credit goes to "inspector jones" over at HoFo.

EDIT: FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT:

Last edited by phillypharm; 11-28-08 at 08:10 PM.
    11-28-08 06:50 PM
    Nice find and makes sense.
    11-28-08 06:53 PM
    Worked perfectly, nice find. Just need to decide if i like this better than being able to scroll.
    11-28-08 06:56 PM
    Hmm, it works in the black Home screen but not the the primary screen like I thought it would. Is that how it is working for you guys?
    Last edited by Deathpoint; 11-28-08 at 07:08 PM.
    11-28-08 07:02 PM
    Hmm, it works in the black Home screen but not the the primary screen like I thought it would. Is that how it is working for you guys?
    It seems to depend on what screen you are on, it follows your finger as you go from music to video to etc... and back on the media screen also.
    11-28-08 07:24 PM
    Even the screen that has your wallpaper?
    11-28-08 07:33 PM
    Even the screen that has your wallpaper?
    sorry, not that screen.

just the home screen, which really should be called the shortcut screen
    11-28-08 08:09 PM
    Haha, I made my screen like this as soon as I got the phone since I hate having to scroll around trying to find icons. I am so much more productive using folders than having so many icons on the home screen.
    11-28-08 08:16 PM
    on the commercial, the glide effect was on the main screen. is it possible to glide on the main?
    11-28-08 09:10 PM
    Great! It worked out very well! This phone is giving iPhone a great run for its money! Once you understand how it works and read some of these helpful tips, the phone becomes more and more functional. Good job Blackberry and Verizon!!
    12-06-08 12:44 AM
    I don't have a problem w/ gliding. I have a problem w/ selecting - sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it skips what I want to click. Any ideas?
    12-06-08 12:49 AM
    Anyone have this working on OS .85 ? I followed the instructions but I still don't have it tracking my finger. The OS version is the only thing I could think of that could be different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 12:46 AM
    Anyone have this working on OS .85 ? I followed the instructions but I still don't have it tracking my finger. The OS version is the only thing I could think of that could be different.

Do a search. They disabled this capability since .83 came out.
    01-02-09 12:52 AM
    thats pretty cool nice find worked great
    01-02-09 12:55 AM

no, it hasnt worked since .75 I believe...theres nothing we can do except wait it out till the bug gets addressed in a future OS build. It may have not even worked with .75, I honestly dont remember
    01-02-09 01:19 AM
    I works with .75 because it works for me. It worked on .65 as well. It is not a trick really, it is just a matter of not having too many icons on the screen. This will disable the scroll function and allow the glide function to work.

You must have less than 16 icons on your Home screen for the glide function to work. As far as I know, it does not work on the Wallpaper screen. However, I have not tried it because I keep about 12 icons active on my Home screen and I am not willing to lower my icon count at this time.
    01-02-09 07:31 AM
    no, it hasnt worked since .75 I believe...theres nothing we can do except wait it out till the bug gets addressed in a future OS build. It may have not even worked with .75, I honestly dont remember
    Yep, it works for .75 perfectly.

Not sure whether or not I want to keep it though. I kinda like having to scroll up and down to see apps.
    01-02-09 09:02 AM
    i have .85 and it doesn't work for it.
    01-02-09 09:05 AM
    works quite well! i was initially skeptical
    01-02-09 09:57 AM
    I do believe this stupid function was exterminated in the .83 software build. Except for the media player, which for some odd reason, still allows the highlight to follow your finger. Why, I have no idea. Probably an oversight.
    01-02-09 10:07 AM
    I got it to work in .75 - It is not working fior me in .85. No biggie...
    01-02-09 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD