Yes, God!

I've been on this forum ever since the launch of the blackberry storm. During this time, I had the phone replaced 5 times (maybe it was 6, but honestly I lost count). The device issues ranged from screen click defects to having dust accumulate behind the screen.

The software didn't help either. I was on 75 and 76 and it was flat out the worst piece of software that I have ever personally come across (please don't argue this; that's just how I feel). Everything from freezing to having clicks not register to being extremely slow to having media and other crap turn on by itself. Battery pulls used to work, but only what seemed like 10% of the time.

Long story short, I got so fed up with this phone that I was willing to try something new. This included loading new firmware. I promised myself that I wouldn't upgrade with a leaked version, but I really had no other choice.

I am coming from the iPhone 3G, which I would rate a 6/10. With version 75, I would rate the Blackberry Storm at 2/10.

Fast forward to today; I loaded the new 109 leak.
    W O W ! ! !

This new 109 absolutely, completely transforms the phone. I cannot believe some people so much as recommend waiting for an official release and staying with either 75 or 76. I used to listen to those people! Bummer! Doh! Stupid, stupid, stupid! Boy am I glad I loaded 109.

Plain and simply, here are my observations:

(1) Phone is 2 or 3 times faster in every way. I am NOT exaggerating.
    (2) Buttons and clicks are 95% accurate as opposed to 35 or 40% accurate with 75. I based these numbers on the fact that 19 times out of 20, my clicks are spot on with 109. With 75, it seemed that I would get it right only 3 or 4 times out of every 10, which was ridiculous. It was very frustrating at times to have to retype word after word.
    (3) Battery lasts for what seems like ages. I turned the screen down to only 30% brightness back on v.75 and it was already long, but with 109 it is ever longer. My initial impression is that it lasts 1.5 times longer. I'm able to go almost 2 full days without a charge.
    (4) Little irritating bugs and annoyances appear to be fixed. I mean, everything from screen going black when locked to maneuvering around the phone in general is much more crisp and easier.
    (5) Browser is much better and faster. More pages load correctly and scrolling through them is less of a hassle. Still needs some work to get even remotely close to the iPhone browser though IMO.

I would now rate the phone a 7/10. I arrived at this rating because...
    (1) No phone is a 10/10. It's impossible. Kind of like women... no woman is a 10. We are not perfect creatures and neither are the phones
    (2) Given that my scale starts at 9/10, I took off another 2 points for the browser. Although a significant improvement over 75, it still lacks the easiness, smoothness, and maneuverability of iPhone's safari.

If you are like me and still on 75 or 76, do not hesitate to load 109. Trust me, you will LOVE IT!
    Last edited by s54; 03-03-09 at 12:03 PM.
    03-03-09 11:54 AM
    I agree 109 makes a big difference. If you are computer savy it is worth the upgrade!
    03-03-09 11:58 AM
    Thats great because Im in need of an update...
    03-03-09 12:00 PM
    I held off upgrading for a while. I don't know why. I didn't mind .75 too much but I was really tired with SureType's really crappy predictions and terrible spellcheck so really wanted the protrait QWERTY.

Finally did 109 last night and was really surprised at the difference it made. Basically every aspect of the phone is better.
    03-03-09 12:01 PM
    being computer savvy is not necessary. just install it, plug in your phone, open the apploader and keep clicking next until it starts upgrading. an ***** can do that.

wait for the storefront and the gold code to come out, it'll be a 9/10
    03-03-09 12:02 PM
    totally agree
    03-03-09 12:02 PM
    my bleeped word was a synonym for a stupid person.. idk why CB bleeps it
    03-03-09 12:03 PM
    Will the 109 update work on a Verizon Storm?
    03-03-09 12:06 PM
    Will the 109 update work on a Verizon Storm?
    Yes, I have the blackberry storm 9530 from Verizon. Worked flawlessly. Install and upgrade took no more than 20 minutes. Extremely simple.
    03-03-09 12:08 PM
    Oh yeah? Try sending an MMS message without a picture taken from the Storm. Then report back. Grey box appears. Not cool.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 12:09 PM
    my bleeped word was a synonym for a stupid person.. idk why CB bleeps it
    Read this http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/mus...-rules-155418/ and it will help explain.
    03-03-09 12:10 PM
    Oh yeah? Try sending an MMS message without a picture taken from the Storm. Then report back. Grey box appears. Not cool.

OMG YOU FOUND A BUG IN A BETA OS?? NO WAY!!!! There are usually ZERO bugs in BETA OSs, so I guess we should throw our phones away now.
    Some of us bought the phone specifically so we could send MMS messages with pictures that our phones didn't take, so that was a HUGE selling point. And now you're telling me it doesn't work on a beta operating system? I'm flushing my phone down the toilet as I type.
    03-03-09 12:12 PM
    OMG YOU FOUND A BUG IN A BETA OS?? NO WAY!!!! There are usually ZERO bugs in BETA OSs, so I guess we should throw our phones away now.
    Some of us bought the phone specifically so we could send MMS messages with pictures that our phones didn't take, so that was a HUGE selling point. And now you're telling me it doesn't work on a beta operating system? I'm flushing my phone down the toilet as I type.
    haha
    lol

exactly.
    well said!
    03-03-09 12:16 PM
    6 replacements? It's a wonder there are any left to do the BOGO offer!

03-03-09 12:17 PM
    I agree...109 is far better then 75.

75 made it a usable phone. 109 makes it an enjoyable phone
    03-03-09 12:20 PM
    You don't have to be sarcastic. I'm just saying when your paying extra for the phone a month to do as it should and don't deliver on a beta, I chose to stick with an OS that DOES what I paid for. I'm sure another leak will fix this.

03-03-09 12:20 PM
    You don't have to be sarcastic. I'm just saying when your paying extra for the phone a month to do as it should and don't deliver on a beta, I chose to stick with an OS that DOES what I paid for. I'm sure another leak will fix this.

.75 through.86 do NOT do what I paid for.. I paid for a nice new blackberry, that works well, works fast, and works when I need it (.75 - .86 doesn't work when I need it: it's usually too busy restarting, or freezing, or being slow)
    So I can live without sending MMSs of pictures that aren't on my phone. It's a REALLY small sacrifice to make for an amazing OS like .109.
    Everyone who upgrades already KNOWS it has issues: it's a beta.
    03-03-09 12:26 PM
    Don't know what .109 upgrade you guys have, but mine does not seem to be a far improvement of .75, if an improvement at all.
    03-03-09 12:33 PM
    I'm glad you think .109 is great, and for all you people still using .75.... why??? Get the upgrade. It is worth it. 109 is better than .75 in every way imaginable. However, .109 is not the perfect OS. While its shortcomings are still improvements from .75, they still annoy me, and I can't wait for the next OS.

While I get about 38-40mb of memory(after using CrackMem), I still get a memory leak about every 24 hours, sometimes less. This is fixed with a battery pull, but its annoying to have to do that. I would use QuickPull, but the app is broken. Not the Storm's fault, I know, but irritating nonetheless. Also, the camera is slow. I hear so many people talking about how great the camera is. I was taking pictures while I was out the other night and the slightest movement results in a blurry picture and it takes forever. People stop smiling at the camera and give me one of those looks as if to say "are you going to take the picture or stand there holding your camera the rest of the night?" However, if people hold still... for a long time... it takes a great quality picture.

In summary, I love .109, but the storm has a long way to go before it is the clear cut winner over the iphone. Right now its still a debate.
    03-03-09 12:36 PM
    Don't know if I'd call .109 God, but it's the most stable of the leaks I've used so far. The MMS issue is a non-issue for me since I very rarely text.
    03-03-09 12:37 PM
    So please pretend that I am like 8 years old and explain how to load up .109. I am so frustrated with .75 and can't take it any longer. Thank you so much.
    03-03-09 12:38 PM

Hmmmm, why would you send an MMS without a picture...also known as an SMS.
    03-03-09 12:41 PM
    Don't know what .109 upgrade you guys have, but mine does not seem to be a far improvement of .75, if an improvement at all.
    I'm sorry but I'm not getting what your saying here. You HAVE .109 installed and you don't see a difference? I find that hard to believe. Can you clarify a little?

03-03-09 12:43 PM
    Hmmmm, why would you send an MMS without a picture...also known as an SMS.
    For a not so short message of more than 160 characters.
    To each their own
125 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD