Ok this is really just a stab in the dark, but something I thought about while updating to 99. What do you guys think...

Ok I have never had many of the bugs that people think come with each software upgrade. I have never wiped my phone, and have installed every leaked OS that has came available. I don't delete old OS's of my computer. I simply download a new OS, install it, and then load it. Never really had a problem, and there are a few other people who are like me and dont have those issues. Long story short, the only thing I was doing different was installing the OS with the ORIGINAL DM that came on the CD that came with the phone, I never upgraded the DM, which makes me wonder if maybe, just maybe that has anything to do with anything. Prob not, but its an idea. So just for fun, someone who has alot of the bugs, try this... Find the original version of DM, download it and replace the one your using. Then install the oldest OS you can find to your phone, and then the current one your running. I know its a lot of work, but It might just work.
    02-03-09 08:06 PM
    I dont think there has been a DM update since the storm launch AFAIK. This would mean that the DM you installed thru your disk is the same as the DM installed off the BB site.
    02-03-09 09:15 PM
    ummmm?!?! there has been, hence why I wrote this thread. I updated mine just a little bit ago before I put on 99 to see If I get some new problems
    02-03-09 09:48 PM
    I dont think there has been a DM update since the storm launch AFAIK. This would mean that the DM you installed thru your disk is the same as the DM installed off the BB site.
    I installed the one online because my disc was defective and I have none of the issues either... hmm........
    02-03-09 09:52 PM
    ummmm?!?! there has been, hence why I wrote this thread. I updated mine just a little bit ago before I put on 99 to see If I get some new problems
    I just checked and DM is still listed as 4.7.0 B50 with a release date of Nov 17, 2008. This is the same version that appears on the cd released with the storm.

What is the version number of the upgrade that you are currently using?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 11:06 PM
    Ok this is really just a stab in the dark, but something I thought about while updating to 99. What do you guys think...

Ok I have never had many of the bugs that people think come with each software upgrade. I have never wiped my phone, and have installed every leaked OS that has came available. I don't delete old OS's of my computer. I simply download a new OS, install it, and then load it. Never really had a problem, and there are a few other people who are like me and dont have those issues. Long story short, the only thing I was doing different was installing the OS with the ORIGINAL DM that came on the CD that came with the phone, I never upgraded the DM, which makes me wonder if maybe, just maybe that has anything to do with anything. Prob not, but its an idea. So just for fun, someone who has alot of the bugs, try this... Find the original version of DM, download it and replace the one your using. Then install the oldest OS you can find to your phone, and then the current one your running. I know its a lot of work, but It might just work.
    Its a nice thought but I really dont think that the DM has anything to do with the bugs. It goes much deeper than that. Here's is why I state this.

Upgraded from OS .75 to .83 using DM 4.5
    Upgraded from OS .83 to .86 using DM 4.6
    Upgraded from OS .86 to .90 using DM 4.7
    Upgraded form OS .90 to .99 using DM 4.7

I have not experienced any of the issues or concerns plagued by other storm owners. However, the one thing I do is upgrade my Core Applications everytime, also I do not install 3rd party apps until I am done running the Beta OS through its paces. I want to test the OS not the 3rd party applications. This is why; 3rd party vendors are not going to keep updating their software everytime a leak comes out, with that said some 3rd party apps have outdated code (script) that could cause conflicts with the Beta OS and cause some of the issues that have been posted throughout this forum.

Just my .02 worth
    02-03-09 11:06 PM
    I just checked and DM is still listed as 4.7.0 B50 with a release date of Nov 17, 2008. This is the same version that appears on the cd released with the storm.

What is the version number of the upgrade that you are currently using?
    I'd bet a dollar that they confused DM with the .99 leak.
    02-03-09 11:47 PM
    I'd bet a dollar that they confused DM with the .99 leak.
    You are correct on the release date of the DM for the storm, however just for reference I did not install my DM 4.7 until recently. Confused I am not. This is not my first BB.
    Last edited by bbcrackman; 02-04-09 at 01:09 AM.
    02-04-09 01:06 AM
    What I can't understand is that if you aren't experiencing any of the bugs or problems why are you updating and how can you tell the difference between builds?
    02-04-09 01:11 AM
    What I can't understand is that if you aren't experiencing any of the bugs or problems why are you updating and how can you tell the difference between builds?
    Your kidding...right? I dont experience the bugs that everyone is having, true, but with each beta OS there is improvement in one way or another or even a set back, we have seen many changes in its evolution with the quest for the perfect OS. But its all about having fun and playing with the os that keep us going for the next. I myself enjoy helping others solve their problems or assisting in anyway I can. These are Beta's, there will be set backs, and possible glitches, but having the opportunity to install these beta's is fun....

And by the way changing DM's has also shown me that 4.7 has glitches, 4.5 is a better build, 4.6 is not bad either
    Last edited by bbcrackman; 02-04-09 at 01:22 AM.
    02-04-09 01:20 AM
    You aren't looking hard enough to find the bugs. Your DM idea doesn't apply.

02-04-09 01:27 AM

Im not talking issues with the OS, I had issues with DM 4.7, maybe user maybe not. I have not run into them with 4.5...again maybe user maybe not.

Do I have glitches with the OS...yes, do I have issues with the OS no, why, because I realize it is a beta, I expect them but really nothing worth noting.
    Last edited by bbcrackman; 02-04-09 at 01:32 AM.
    02-04-09 01:29 AM

Do I have glitches with the OS...yes, do I have issues with the OS no, why, because I realize it is a beta, I expect them but really nothing worth noting.
    A glitch by any other name would be just as sweet?

I understand the point, that we shouldn't complain because they are beta, but then what are we talking about here? You said you don't experience any of the bugs that plague other storm owners? Now are we talking about glitches or issues? Or what are we talking about???
    Last edited by Rodsky11; 02-04-09 at 01:35 AM.
    02-04-09 01:33 AM
    A glitch by any other name would be just as sweet?

I understand the point, that we shouldn't complain because they are beta, but then what are we talking about here? You said you don't experience any of the bugs that plague other storm owners? Now are we talking about glitches or issues? Or what are we talking about???
    I will clarify just for fun, I do not have random reboots (issue), I do not get the VSOD (issue), I do not have battery Issues, I do not have media issues (video or otherwise) I do not mem issues (seem to be a big deal to some)

What I do have is a lag between lock engagement to lock, lag in portrait to landscape and that is basically it. I guess I see your point, what is a glitch to me could be an issue to someone else. I am ok with that. I can only speak for me. Did not want to offend anyone here

Almost forgot one...sometimes the keyboard lags.....not always but sometimes.....must be a beta....LOL
    Last edited by bbcrackman; 02-04-09 at 01:48 AM.
    02-04-09 01:42 AM

hey, maybe if you dont know something, you should hush I updated the DM just to load .99, and guess what.... Now I too have some never before issues. So I am about to downgrade my DM back to the original one, and I will report back in a few days
    02-18-09 10:25 PM
    Sorry, the "DM is causing bugs" idea just doesn't pan out. I've been running 4.7 B50 on one machine and an older version of 4.5 on another. I connect my BB to both machines, and have done OS upgrades on both machines, sometimes by doing a javaloader wipe and sometimes not. I've seen some of the issues in both cases, it's not connected to the way the OS is upgraded or the version of DM used, it's an OS issue.
    02-18-09 11:50 PM
    Sorry, the "DM is causing bugs" idea just doesn't pan out. I've been running 4.7 B50 on one machine and an older version of 4.5 on another. I connect my BB to both machines, and have done OS upgrades on both machines, sometimes by doing a javaloader wipe and sometimes not. I've seen some of the issues in both cases, it's not connected to the way the OS is upgraded or the version of DM used, it's an OS issue.
    if it was the OS, then EVERYONE would have the same problems, but thanks for the info, but we will see what happens in a few days as I stated. Tell you what, I just rolled back to the cd version of DM I got the day the storm went on sale, Ill come back once I get the new .103 on here, oh and just so you know it might be a hour or so, because I am installing .65 before i install .103. Will let you know guys,

and FYI if your not a RIM developer, please stop telling everyone what it is and what it isn't, the only way to find anything is by experimenting, and trial by error, which I am doing on my idea. Thanks
    02-18-09 11:56 PM
    p.s. just for fun, since everything is backed up, once I set the OS back to .65, I will do a Reset on my device before I load up the .103 just in case there is some kind of non removed files from before the "test" lol .
    hey I know this is off subject but while im sitting here typing a 28k modem commercial just came on the television...LMAO dial up, what is that, and what happended to 56k? I thought some of you might find that a little funny
    02-19-09 12:05 AM
    OK 1st day results are in...

Holy cheese! this is the fastest its ever been for me. all the problems I had after installing .99 with the new DM are now gone.

0 automatic reboots
    0 Battery pulls
    0 Lag time
    0 issues so far...

Long story short, the experiment worked! Now I need someone else who is having a lot of issues try my method, and see if the results can be duplicated.

Steps involved...

1. Find/install the CD that came out with the .65 devices
    2. Uninstall DM
    3. Install DM from the OLD CD
    4. Find and download version .65
    5. Uninstall (from computer) all your OS versions
    6. Install OS version .65 (on computer)
    7. Use the OLD DM to install OS .65 to your device
    8. Backup all app's and data
    9. Do a complete Master Reset on device
    10. Install OS version .103 (on computer)
    11. Use the OLD DM to install OS .103 to your device
    12. Once finished do a Just-For-Fun Battery pull (I held down the off button for 30 seconds when the battery was out just to drain the residual charge, and any memory)
    13. Power up, and restore any app's that are missing
    14. Give it a few hours and keep reporting back here.

I hope this works for everyone as it did for me I know its a lengthy process, but If it works for you to, then I'm sure you'll agree that it's well worth it.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    02-19-09 06:46 PM
    I did install .99 on the OLD DM version before .103 so I could see if there was a difference in the device from one .99 version to the other .99 version, and there was so I just think that since it worked for me, it could be a skipped step for you.
    Last edited by xesvuli420; 02-19-09 at 06:52 PM.
    02-19-09 06:50 PM
    I hope your on to something, stranger things have happened in life. Heck if the Cardinals can go to the Superbowl and Michael Phelps can defy logic and what all the worlds eyes saw, in him touch the wall 2nd, but somehow actually touching first, then it is possible that it could be linked to the DM!
    02-19-09 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD