FaceCall Redux 0.0.1 is now up, this is dumbed down a little in the sense you have to manually tell it to load your address book first use and if you make alterations at any point in time, I've also dumped the update code in favour of more simpler import code.

In fact where possible I've sort to simplify things as much as possible to see if I can come up with some sort of workable base to expand from.

All those having issues previous to now please let me know if this fixes or even helps at all.
    Also it takes approximately 18-20 seconds for app to launch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-09 04:59 AM
    Just to make sure, I did erase cache and loaded address book again and same thing happened. On first launch I have A-Z. Then after closing app and relaunching I am again missing A-M.

01-18-09 05:08 AM
    Also it takes approximately 18-20 seconds for app to launch.
    If you have no contacts loaded it should take no time at all. Contacts aren't loaded automatically either etc.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 01-18-09 at 05:41 AM.
    01-18-09 05:36 AM
    Just to make sure, I did erase cache and loaded address book again and same thing happened. On first launch I have A-Z. Then after closing app and relaunching I am again missing A-M.
    Are you missing all M's?
    01-18-09 05:43 AM
    I wonder if the missing entries are going missing becuase they're being truncated due to store limitations.... *mutter*
    01-18-09 05:53 AM
    Oh, the photos will be causing the problems... Don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner

The better question will be how to deal with the issue I guess, pulling from the address book is slow, so is pulling from the file system, not to mention inefficent method of storage....

This might take me a bit...
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 01-18-09 at 07:04 AM.
    01-18-09 07:00 AM
    0.0.9 Redux is now up, I've altered the way photos are stored, there is still a limit of 64kBytes for the address/phone book, but the photos are stored else where in memory which hopefully means the 64k limit shouldn't be hit by most people normally.

Hopefully the issue of truncated address books will now be solved.
    01-18-09 07:51 AM
    I still get only N-Z, and sometimes even R-Z. I don't know why this started to happen now, maybe because you added the names beneath the photos. I think now is the right time to start working on the filtering options.
    01-18-09 08:48 AM
    Do you have any of the older versions? I would like a fall back if this one doesn't work. I upgraded my wife's and it's not working correctly and would like to put it back to the version she liked.

I do want to say THANK YOU! I know it is a big headache going through all of this and you are doing a wonderful job and have a fine product in the works. Keep up the enthusiasm.

Thank you again,

Scott
    01-18-09 09:11 AM
    Are you missing all M's?
    No not all. I have 23 contacts starting with M, and I think 19 are missing.

01-18-09 09:45 AM
    0.0.9 Redux is now up, I've altered the way photos are stored, there is still a limit of 64kBytes for the address/phone book, but the photos are stored else where in memory which hopefully means the 64k limit shouldn't be hit by most people normally.

Hopefully the issue of truncated address books will now be solved.
    No luck with 0.0.9. Still missing A-M (not all M, am seeing one).
    App is also now taking over 20 seconds to launch.

01-18-09 10:05 AM
    I installed .9 and my contacts showed up as numbers the first time, starting with 6112 or something, then i erased cache and restarted and now no contacts show up, just a blank screen everytime i launch the app.
    01-18-09 10:22 AM
    just wondering..which version is the correct one to run? In these threads, there are different versions but I see people having issues with each version. Is there a website to go to to get more info and the latest version from?
    01-18-09 08:29 PM
    just wondering..which version is the correct one to run? In these threads, there are different versions but I see people having issues with each version. Is there a website to go to to get more info and the latest version from?
    Only this thread.
    01-18-09 08:35 PM
    I installed .9 and my contacts showed up as numbers the first time, starting with 6112 or something, then i erased cache and restarted and now no contacts show up, just a blank screen everytime i launch the app.
    Unless you manually tell it to import your address book that is what should happen.
    01-18-09 08:36 PM
    I still get only N-Z, and sometimes even R-Z. I don't know why this started to happen now, maybe because you added the names beneath the photos. I think now is the right time to start working on the filtering options.
    As a best guess, it started happening because people started adding more photos, once there is enough bytes to hit the 64k limit stuff starts to get truncated.
    01-18-09 08:37 PM
    Ok for those upgrading from the original version to redux please do this, currently the app will not do it automatically for you.

After first run, erase the cache regardless, this should erase all previous address book cached entries and then the app will exit, you can then start the app again, then run the load address book menu option, still working on this but the address book entries still won't show until you exit and restart.

Unless you do the above I cannot say what the results will be.
    01-18-09 08:43 PM
    I think now is the right time to start working on the filtering options.
    You can't sort or filter what gets truncated.
    01-18-09 08:45 PM
    Do you have any of the older versions? I would like a fall back if this one doesn't work.
    The problems are due to the number of photos, using an older version will not fix this as it was an inherint design flaw, well you can also thank RIM for putting in artificial limitations too and/or a very slow address book API and/or no decent embedded database to work with.
    01-18-09 08:47 PM
    Ok for those upgrading from the original version to redux please do this, currently the app will not do it automatically for you.

After first run, erase the cache regardless, this should erase all previous address book cached entries and then the app will exit, you can then start the app again, then run the load address book menu option, still working on this but the address book entries still won't show until you exit and restart.

Unless you do the above I cannot say what the results will be.
    Started out with a fresh install. .9 is still slow to start even with setting it to the background. I have about 140 contacts and only 10 of those have photos. I erased the cache at the beginning, then reloaded the address book. Mine shows contacts but starting at the middle of the g's. I'm not sure if this helps or not.
    01-18-09 08:57 PM
    I hate to say it, but is there any way I could get a link to the last version before the redux? I don't have a ridiculous number of contacts, and the last version of facecall I had started instantly, with no delay at all. With 0.9 it takes 5-10 seconds to start up, and since I have it set to my convenience key, it makes me think I didn't press the button all the way. I know people with more contacts than me may have had different experiences with the prior versions, but I just miss the instant startup I used to have.

01-18-09 09:07 PM
    The version just before 0.8.9 worked great! The problems I've seen started after the addition of the names below the photos although 0.8.9 does work fairly well, i just don't have a need for the names.
    01-18-09 09:17 PM
    The version just before 0.8.9 worked great! The problems I've seen started after the addition of the names below the photos although 0.8.9 does work fairly well, i just don't have a need for the names.
    While it may solve your problems there seems to be more than enough people that are having trouble, that going backwards isn't a solution either. Although I do wonder if there has been tweaks to OS stuff and those having problems are running .75 still... ?
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 01-18-09 at 09:39 PM.
    01-18-09 09:37 PM
    I'm sorry I should have put in my OS it's still .75
    01-18-09 09:47 PM
    As a best guess, it started happening because people started adding more photos, once there is enough bytes to hit the 64k limit stuff starts to get truncated.
    Not sure if this is true (although you'd know ) but I only have maybe 10 contacts with pics (out of maybe 100 contacts).

It seems if I keep deleting and then re-loading I start to get them all back (I did it maybe 3x and now I have them there. Just sucks cause now I have to re-weigh.

Please keep up the great work.
    01-18-09 10:00 PM
1,048 ... 2324252627 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD