RIM’s BlackBerry Storm: Verizon price higher than expected : Product Reviews Net

Once all the other discounts have been taken off, you are looking at a final price of $299, which is $100 more than expected. There were initial rumors that the BlackBerry Storm would only cost $199 on a two-year contract.
    11-10-08 09:57 AM
    I wouldn't have expected the Storm to be $199. Did they ever say it was going to be that low?
    11-10-08 10:01 AM
    I guess I'd like to see their math rather than a "rumored starting price" less "other discounts"

Everyone else here on the forums using the same "rumored starting price" still came up with $199 price point for NE2 users. Where exactly does the diffrence lie?
    $299 is not too bad. $199 is definitely better though.......
    Im quite sure this wont deter most Storm chasers.
    11-10-08 10:02 AM
    If they do price it at $299 with 2 year contract Verizon is setting itself up for more customers moving to ATT and T-mobile. Ala the G1 and Iphone.. With rumors going around that the iphone might drop to $99...Verizon will have a hard-time to keep people with the company..no matter how good the service is... The economy is heading down-hill...the only way to help customers or gain new ones these days is price. Ultimately I hope Verizon isn't this stupid but who knows, its no reason all my friends switched over to other companies...Verizon overcharges for its products...thats my 2 cents
    11-10-08 10:10 AM
    If they do price it at $299 with 2 year contract Verizon is setting itself up for more customers moving to ATT and T-mobile.
    Don't forget the Bold :P
    11-10-08 10:16 AM
    Don't forget the Bold :P
    Rimm is setting itself up to be the next Palm..with sales plummeting..pricing slightly less than twice of what the iphone is... Rimm stock will go down even further..they have morons in charge of pricing the phone, I personally for 199 would get it; 299 is pushing it considering im not the main person on the family line and would have to shell out 299... Apple as of today managed to become the best selling device in the US market..beating out the razor... Verizon needs to price this phone at max $250 and market it as you can get it for $150 that way people will be coming running in droves and would sign 2 yr contracts for NE2...
    11-10-08 10:22 AM
    It is pretty funny that Vodafone can offer the Blackberry Storm for FREE with a 18 or 24 month contract, but Verizon is going to charge more than their biggest competitor, the iPhone. This is RIM and Verizon's chance to take back some of the market share they lost to the iPhone or the late G1. I think this is just Verizon being greedy once again!
    11-10-08 10:25 AM
    Wow, chill everyone. Stop freaking out, this is no way official. You have no idea what they are going to charge.
    11-10-08 10:27 AM
    i see no proof in that article, just speculation.
    11-10-08 10:31 AM
    LOL. beating out the Razr....which is the phone that companies will PAY you to take with a contract.
    11-10-08 10:32 AM
    The cost of the device is cause of the carrier though. Verizon always seems to do this with their phones who knows they might make it cheaper during the holidays. I remmeber when the Motorola Q first came out I got it for 100.
    11-10-08 10:34 AM
    i see no proof in that article, just speculation.
    Yeah exactly. After a quick scan of the article I see no sourcing.

VZW has not made an announcement of the price.

Until that happens, I'm not believing anything.
    11-10-08 10:35 AM
    Pure speculation! Until it's on the VZW site, DON'T BELIEVE IT!
    11-10-08 10:38 AM
    yea even so with speculation Verizon always prices itself out of the market on pretty much every phone they release...including the damned razor which was free on every provider...Verizon still charged for it.. By the way the CEO of Verizon graduated the same business school I did...but our thinking clearly isn't the same..
    11-10-08 10:39 AM
    I smell douchebaggery afoot....
    11-10-08 11:03 AM
    I smell douchebaggery afoot....
    Check your shoe....you should really watch for dog **** when you take your morning walk

11-10-08 11:05 AM
    this would definitely hurt my pocketbook. i need 4 of them. at 299.99 that would mean an extra 400 i would have to pay. would not be too happy about that.
    11-10-08 11:22 AM
    ouch four of them would suck, i talked to verizon today and they believe it will be 199. They said if we want to compete with the iphone we have to price with the iphone so im sure it will be 199
    11-10-08 11:25 AM
    I think $250 is the max i'd go to.
    11-10-08 11:30 AM
    On a 1st generation phone that will have bugs???
    11-10-08 11:34 AM
    I think $250 is the max i'd go to.
    Same here. Don't think I'd go over $250.
    11-10-08 11:36 AM
    Rimm is setting itself up to be the next Palm..with sales plummeting..pricing slightly less than twice of what the iphone is... Rimm stock will go down even further..they have morons in charge of pricing the phone, I personally for 199 would get it; 299 is pushing it considering im not the main person on the family line and would have to shell out 299... Apple as of today managed to become the best selling device in the US market..beating out the razor... Verizon needs to price this phone at max $250 and market it as you can get it for $150 that way people will be coming running in droves and would sign 2 yr contracts for NE2...
    While I agree that to "compete with the iPhone", they need to have a price similar to the iPhone, I don't see RIM making the same mistakes that Palm has made.

Palm had a great product...state of the art...and then just stopped developing it.

They had a powerful, flexible, industry-accepted OS...and then stopped improving it. Then they broke off the OS side into a different company...then sold the rights to the OS away to another company...then bought them back.

With all the shuffling around, the devices weren't getting improved upon...the OS totally stalled...and they lost marketshare after marketshare to devices that were smaller, lighter, faster and cheaper...running and OS that was multi-media capable and multi-tasking capable.

My 700p is over 2 years old...and it's quite long in the tooth. What Palm device can I now replace it with? The 755p, which is the exact same processor, OS, etc...in a 20% slimmer case and no external antenna bulge? Pass.

Should I get the Treo Pro...running Windows Mobile? Pass. I'm looking for a MORE reliable OS, not LESS reliable.

RIM is putting out products that aren't the same-old-thing as last year. They're innovating.

Palm had the ball and they dropped it...big time.
    11-10-08 11:37 AM
    The only "rumor" price I have gotten is 650 CDN at Telus NO contract even though I am signing a new 3 year I still don't get the 3yr price. but do get a 300 discount. I will see when it comes out how much it is. Im not doing the guessing game. oh yeah but someone else told me no on the 650 price that it would be less. so lets hope he is correct.
    11-10-08 11:46 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD