Hi everyone,

its my first time on this website and i've been reading a lot articles / forum posts etc. it helped me a lot to get information about blackberry.

i do have a questions though, wich i havnt found in the 101 and the review of the iphone from a blackberry perpective.

i am at this moment looking around to buy a smartphone and am looking for a touchscreen device, and i really like the blackberry storm2, not only do i think it looks better but i really like the surepress feature.

Though on the "Apple iPhone 3GS From the Perspective of a BlackBerry User, Smartphone Round Robin"

there doesnt seem to be a conclusion on whats the best choise for people who are not blackberry users and are comparing between a storm2 (so not the bold) and iphone. does anyone have a nice tip, it would be really helpfull.

and another question, (sorry for all the questions on my introduction)
    when i buy a storm2 with a 5.x operation system, is it possible to upgrade to 6.0 when it comes out?

and again, i really love the site, its a good initiative with great articles!

cheers,
    dv-dv
    Last edited by dv-dv; 05-08-10 at 08:28 PM.
    05-08-10 08:25 PM
    I'm going to move this thread to the Storm2 Forum, you'll get better answer there.

We don't know if 6.0 will come out for the Storm2, BUT some in the know are saying it will. BUT we don't know for sure.
    05-08-10 08:53 PM
    the storm 2 is a really good device. I love mine, however i have been unlucky and delt with a bunch of problems and replacement devices. It is my first blackberry, and sure there is a learning curve but adapted really quick. Personally i would choose the storm 2 over the iphone, simply because i would get bored quick with an iphone. but thats just me personally. I have a droid incredible on the way to play around with, but thats not saying its going to replace my storm. The best thing to do is to go to the store and play with it for a while..they arnt gonna kick you off..

and on the os6 side, we can hope that it comes out way, but im not gonna be convinced until it is installed and running on my device.
    05-08-10 09:49 PM
    I purchased a Storm 2 9520 a couple of weeks ago.

Only reason I bought it was that the balckberry connect software I installed on my HTC Touch HD (a windows mobile device) did allow me access to our corporate BES account but unfortunatley it didn't handle the large volume of muti-tabbed Excel email attachements I receive as well as I needed.

The Storm 2 is nice hardware but there are still (IMHO) failings in the software and user interface.

I purchased several Storm 2 themes including the latest OS 6 theme only to be frustrated by the consistent failure of the swipe gesture to work correctly. Is supposed to slide across and display an extra set of icons etc etc but despite sensitivity set to the highest level it just doesn't work consistently. Is not just an issues with this theme but also several others as well. The swipe to slide just appears to have a mind of its own??

Despite that I have settled on a theme which does not have the swipe feature and in that instance the select and surepress works fine for that.

Battery life is on par with my also large screen HTC Touch HD and as such I have on order a standard dimesion but slightly larger power capacity battery because I use the device a lot for calls and email and do not like chasing a socket for a top-up during the day.

Default browser works pretty good and have not experienced any major issues. Just to compare I downloaded the latest Opera Mini yesterday and it appears to work pretty well too.

Camera is OK, certainly not as clear as the 5mp I used on the HTC Touch HD but does take a good enough shot and works well with the MMS features.

Email works a treat! It is because the email feature works so well I will stick with the device despite the other areas. After all I need the email for work and the other stuff become less important for me.

If on the other hand email was not such an important factor I would personally not be as impressed or pleased.

Cheers.

Ed
    05-08-10 10:15 PM
    Best phone I've ever owned.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-10 10:50 PM
    I can only compare the Storm2 to the iPhone 3G (have both), but most of what applies to the 3G also would apply to the 3GS. Some thoughts:

The iPhone is a better multimedia device overall. I don't think anyone will argue with me over that. The only multimedia downfall it suffers is that the screen is a bit washed out and lacks brilliance. In terms of functionality though, it hurts the current BB setup.

The Storm2 is a better communications device, especially when it comes to phone calls. Yes, the primary feature of a cell phone...lol! Whether it's the phone of AT&T doesn't really matter, but the iPhone drops calls like they're hot taters. And if they aren't dropped then they just go silent for several seconds at a time. Like you'll be talking to someone and they will say something like "yeah, tomorrow at the Sunshine deli in Supremeville, USA would be awesome," but you will only hear "yeah, tomorrow Sunshine deli USA awesome." Also, the earpiece speaker on the iPhone is not nearly as loud or clear. Having a conversation with the iPhone (to me) is an exercise in torture.

Although RIM truncates the emails (a very frustrating thing!), the email setup on the BB is overall far better. If you want your emails instantly, you won't want the iPhone. I can't even tell you how frustrating it is to be used to getting email within 10 seconds and then not realizing for 3 or 4 hours that you have new mail on your iPhone.

I find the Storm to be easier to type on. I'm definitely completely sold on the SurePress technology, and I hope that RIM continues to develop and perfect it. The SurePress also makes selection easier.

The iPhone browser absolutely KILLS the current BB browser. Neither has Flash support which sucks, but at least the iPhone browser is smooth and fast. It also renders pages and photos FAR better than the BB browser.

Battery: Nether offer the battery life of some of the other BlackBerry devices, but between the two the Storm2 is definitely the winner. The iPhone has to be plugged in so much it's almost pointless to consider it portable. To make it worse, you can't swap out the battery on the go.

THe iPhone has a better memory setup for those who want a gazillion apps. But, you can get quite a lot on the Storm2 also. More than I would likely ever need anyway (I have about 40 apps now, including three Open GL games, with lots of memory left). The Storm2 does have removable and expandable memory though for data storage. That's a huge plus to me.

The Storm2's camera is better than the 3G, not sure about the 3GS. However, the Storm has a flash, which I use a lot.

Speaking of the camera, I like that the BB's have the programmable convenience keys for things like the camera. I can control a LOT of functions from the keys without having to touch the screen.

The rest is mostly personal option. The way it feels in your hands, the way the UI works, etc. In most aspects of the phones only you can decide which one is right for you.

Here's my final word on Storm2 vs iPhone though. My personal opinion is that the Storm2 is a better overall phone, even with it's few shortcomings. The iPhone is just too multimedia centered and not communications centered enough. For me the communications are just too important. I also HATE the Hitler like dictatorship of Steve Jobs and the unforgiving connection to (sh)iTunes. And to top it all off, AT&T sucks. When the iPhone 3GS came out we talked about getting it to replace the 3G, and the answer was pretty much "no more iPhones." WIll most likely stay with BlackBerry or try Android later once google gets the bugs out of it and improves the email services. One thing's for sure, the next year or so we are going to see some new and great phones I think as LTE starts to go live and 1+ GHz processors become the norm!
    05-08-10 11:49 PM
    thanks a lot for all the helpfull comments, il soon give you guys an update on my decision!
    05-09-10 07:10 AM
    The Storm2 is a better communications device, especially when it comes to phone calls. Yes, the primary feature of a cell phone...lol! Whether it's the phone of AT&T doesn't really matter, but the iPhone drops calls like they're hot taters.
    It's the phone. Tried the iPhone again and ended up taking it back and getting the Bold (which I LOVE). In my house, the iPhone would stay between no service and when lucky 1-2 bars. This is the same with my wife's iPhone. The Bold, it stays between 3-5 bars constantly and never gets the dreaded out of service on the screen. I'll leave it at that. I won't even start to get into the GPS and battery issues
    05-09-10 10:07 AM
    I purchased a Storm 2 9520 a couple of weeks ago.

Only reason I bought it was that the balckberry connect software I installed on my HTC Touch HD (a windows mobile device) did allow me access to our corporate BES account but unfortunatley it didn't handle the large volume of muti-tabbed Excel email attachements I receive as well as I needed.

The Storm 2 is nice hardware but there are still (IMHO) failings in the software and user interface.

I purchased several Storm 2 themes including the latest OS 6 theme only to be frustrated by the consistent failure of the swipe gesture to work correctly. Is supposed to slide across and display an extra set of icons etc etc but despite sensitivity set to the highest level it just doesn't work consistently. Is not just an issues with this theme but also several others as well. The swipe to slide just appears to have a mind of its own??

Despite that I have settled on a theme which does not have the swipe feature and in that instance the select and surepress works fine for that.

Battery life is on par with my also large screen HTC Touch HD and as such I have on order a standard dimesion but slightly larger power capacity battery because I use the device a lot for calls and email and do not like chasing a socket for a top-up during the day.

Default browser works pretty good and have not experienced any major issues. Just to compare I downloaded the latest Opera Mini yesterday and it appears to work pretty well too.

Camera is OK, certainly not as clear as the 5mp I used on the HTC Touch HD but does take a good enough shot and works well with the MMS features.

Email works a treat! It is because the email feature works so well I will stick with the device despite the other areas. After all I need the email for work and the other stuff become less important for me.

If on the other hand email was not such an important factor I would personally not be as impressed or pleased.

Cheers.

Ed
    Its not a problem with the Storm2, its the theme. The theme requires you to press, not swipe. Only the real OS6 will allow you to swipe.
    05-09-10 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD