Hi all,
    This is is my first time on this site. And also my first BB handset.
    Is everyone going for the .99 software? at the moment i'm on the official released version. Which seems not too bad, but does annoy me.
    Phone freeze's occasionally and I have do to a battery pull. Really slow camera, so my toddler has almost always moved before its got round to taking the piccie!.
    Although by far the worst issue for me is the signal on it. my work vodaphone nokia is always at 5 bars in the house. My storm jumps from sos - gprs - 3g (not always in that order lol!)
    Does the .99 help with this? I've heard about signal boosters, but sticking something on the battery, worries me about invalidating warranty etc.

Other than that, I do love the phone!. Its even great for watching films on. But dont get me started on why after taking a video on it, does the phone freeze, need a reboot and then refuse to playback the video, advising incompatible format, even though i've just taken it with it's own camera?!
    Thanks in advance!
    Sam
    02-06-09 11:17 AM
    I believe that the .99 release is only for the 9530 phone. There are trade-offs on the problems with .75 or .76 and the .99 version. The camera is alot faster in .99. I have installed all the leaked versions of OS's that have came out and I have never seen a signal strength change. I have bad coverage at work but I had a better signal with my Motorola phone. Hope this helps.
    02-06-09 11:25 AM
    Sam,

For your phone the latest leak is version .100, it's most likely VERY similar to our .99. There are less threads because there are less 9500 users on CB (BUT you guys do resprensent!!!)

Anyways you can find the .100 Leak thread, with links to the actual leaked file, in the Storm Beta OS Sub Forum. I believe there are a couple .100 info threads too, althought NOT as many as the .99 threads. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK! If you follow the instructions closely you should be fine, BUT you can brick your phone if you do something wrong.
    02-06-09 11:29 AM
    Correct, .99 is for the 9530 and .100 is for the 9500. As for being better, .99 and .100 have their fair share of ups and downs, but for the most part they are solid for many people. If you want to just wait it out with an already proven OS then I would just stick with .75.
    02-06-09 11:30 AM
    Hi
    Wow, you guys are quick at responding, many thanks! I'm going to wait before upgrading, until my brother's around, he does bes stuff at work. so figure if it goes horribly wrong, he'll help me recover it.
    Also, does anyone else get the bug, where the phone doesnt always make a sound when an e-mail comes in? I reckon 95% of the time mine does, but sometimes the phone led just starts flashing (i'm not going mad lol! i'm usually sat right next to it, i'm never letting this phone out of my sight!)
    Cheers again
    Sam
    02-06-09 02:08 PM
    Hi all,
    This is is my first time on this site. And also my first BB handset.
    Is everyone going for the .99 software? at the moment i'm on the official released version. Which seems not too bad, but does annoy me.
    Phone freeze's occasionally and I have do to a battery pull. Really slow camera, so my toddler has almost always moved before its got round to taking the piccie!.
    Although by far the worst issue for me is the signal on it. my work vodaphone nokia is always at 5 bars in the house. My storm jumps from sos - gprs - 3g (not always in that order lol!)
    Does the .99 help with this? I've heard about signal boosters, but sticking something on the battery, worries me about invalidating warranty etc.

Other than that, I do love the phone!. Its even great for watching films on. But dont get me started on why after taking a video on it, does the phone freeze, need a reboot and then refuse to playback the video, advising incompatible format, even though i've just taken it with it's own camera?!
    Thanks in advance!
    Sam
    Sam,

I was getting the erratic signal jumps everywhere I was too.

I DISABLED GPS under Options>Advanced Options and the signal went rock solid and stopped jumping from SOS to GPRS to 3G to zilch.

Oh, and it doubled my battery life.

As for .100, I run it on my 9500. I have found it very good, smooth and stable. Camera is quick-ish (a toddler could probably still beat it) but overall my Storm is great. I've had Blackberries before, I went to WinMo and the iPhone. This device is the BEST merging of all the best features of all three platforms.

Good luck with it.

Pete.
    02-07-09 01:32 AM
    Hi,
    I'm probably going to give .100 a whirl, wish me luck! I've disabled gps, and it does seem more stable, battery seems loads better today. so thanks for that tip.
    I'm spoilt by my last phone, an erricsson which had a 5.1 cybershot camera on it. which worked better than most normal camera's lol!
    But I do love my storm!
    theres no going back from a BB now for me.
    02-07-09 05:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD