It took a few tries to get my replacement, as Verizon has no control over what's sent from their refurb warehouse - the reps just fill in the orders, the warehouse fills the order with first available. And hey, guess what - I got a refurb. It has a smudge and a scratch inside the battery cavity and a dip in the top left of the screen, and is a Canadian model. Just like my original. Except that this one works perfectly with the same apps as I had on the old one. Am I happy? Very.

Until tomorrow, by then you will have reloaded all the apps that messed up your first one. Then you will be back to post how crappy your replacement is and how you are sending it back. Then you'll get another one and the cycle will continue...

Then you will start a thread about how verizon sucks and how you conned them out of another phone with some new improved hardware that came out after the next mythical "recall".

God, I'm really getting sour on this place....
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by genomos; 05-05-10 at 04:21 PM.
    05-05-10 04:17 PM
    I got new phone yesterday and it does not have the problem the asurion replacement had with screen touch freezing in bottom row and top right area of screen. My original phone had no issues until my son dropped it and shattered screen. I hope this one lasts until Storm 3 or next generation.
    I am now trying to be become proficient utilizing video on storm 2. trying to decide what are valid file types. Will try loading down data card on pc, then have good source of video. I notice sports apps and apps like iheart push video that flows well.

Happy happy happy with new verizon storm 2. Verizon honored 1 year even though asurion had replaced original phone............
    05-05-10 06:28 PM
    Tried the Storm2 back in December and went thru 3 of them because of different hardware issues (one had an extremely poorly fitted screen where it was rotated and depressed in 2 areas resulting in the wrong apps being launched, etc while the other 2 units had issues with the fixed buttons at the bottom only working at times).

Have been using a Bold 9000 since it came out and have been satisfied in general with what it can do. The eyes aren't what they used to be so big screens are attractive these days. Decided to try the S2 -again- after hearing about the screen fix.

Just got it today and all I can say is WOW! This is what the Storm was supposed to have been all along. My thumbs have no issues typing compared to the experiences I had a few months ago. It's truly like a completely different phone where the touch-aspect is concerned. Very light and easy to type out messages compared to the pounding my thumbs had taken previously.

Also, this unit was produced in Mexico, dated 4/7/10 in the battery compartment with Yellow sticker on the box (whatever that indicates) so it's right out of production. .607 seems stable enough (so far) but that will remain to be seen as I give it its workouts.

By the way, in trying out the S2s a few months ago, I accidentally figured out the issue with the bottom buttons. I say "accidentally" because I dropped the phone onto a linoleum floor from a short distance where it landed on its bottom end. After picking it up to look for damage, those buttons worked perfectly without exception. There is obviously an alignment issue between the screen surface where those buttons are located and the sensors below it. What struck me as odd is that I could feel them shift a little when replicating that force to the bottom. I didn't expect that the sensors would have ability to travel at all. That right there could be the issue.
    05-06-10 05:02 PM
    I just got my replacement and restored my backup data.....none of my PAID themes were restored.....what did i do wrong??
    05-10-10 07:03 PM
    I just got my replacement and restored my backup data.....none of my PAID themes were restored.....what did i do wrong??
    Third party apps and themes aren't included with regular backup, you have to back those up separately. Furthermore, you need to change your PIN with whomever you purchased from or you won't be able to re-download them to your new device.

05-10-10 07:08 PM
    Someone else who had the misconception that "backup" meant "backup applications". Silly them; where would they get the idea that it would do that . Unfortunately, "backup" just backs up the application data, not the applications themselves.

On a more helpful note, if you want to move from one device to another, you use the "Device Switch" function in the Desktop Manager, which moves the actual applications along with their data. But as mentioned by the previous poster, there is still the potential problem of getting the application registered on the new device, which means going to the vendor you bought the application from.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 05-10-10 at 07:19 PM.
    05-10-10 07:14 PM
    Had to get yet another S2 replaced because the screen decided to get stuck randomly when typing. No new apps were installed, did a wipe, battery pull, etc. Nothing fixed this. Tech support doesn't know what caused this to happen so they sent me a replacement.

Guess what?
    It doesn't have the new hardware revisions. It feels like I'm pressing against a wall. Literally. Its HORRIBLE to type. Almost unusable, as I have said for a previous device. Do they really test these things in QA?

Called Verizon and told them about the issue and the tech guy had no idea about the screen revisions but said he will send another replacement over night.
    This is getting tiring. It really is. I just hope this one has the revisions like my previous did, AND doesn't start to get buggy randomly for no reason.
    Last edited by lpstreetsoldierm; 05-18-10 at 11:03 AM.
    05-18-10 10:59 AM
    How are the replacements holding up?
    06-04-10 05:05 PM
    How are the replacements holding up?
    Excellent; no issues at all on mine.
    06-04-10 05:52 PM
    Do you guys know if there were problems with the 9520's as well? Is there an updated version for the 9520?
    I have a 9550 and the screen clicking problems myself.
    07-13-10 08:28 AM
    Had the same Storm 1 all this time.
    No wonder phones cost so much....

People returning them at the drop of a hat.
    07-13-10 02:15 PM
    Has anybody here opened up their Storm 2 and seen a version number or any other sort of identification on the newer screens?
    08-09-10 12:18 PM
    Shall I take that as a NO, then??
    09-08-10 10:08 PM
    SOMEBODY PLEASE!!!

Tell me what the **** is going on with my S2, I can barely touch the screen and its extra sensitive making selection when im just trying to scroll

Its a Asurion replacement and Verizon is telling me the warranty is expired on the device and they cant replace it.
    09-08-10 11:10 PM
    SOMEBODY PLEASE!!!

Tell me what the **** is going on with my S2, I can barely touch the screen and its extra sensitive making selection when im just trying to scroll

Its a Asurion replacement and Verizon is telling me the warranty is expired on the device and they cant replace it.
    They told me the same thing when I called about my S2 turning to ****. They said my warranty had run out and they would have to send me a refurb. I received a phone EXACTLY like your. Of course I returned it and they finally sent me a new one. I bet they are running out because they stopped ordering new ones... Speculation

09-09-10 12:26 AM
    Shouldn't the refurbs have better screens by now already? Anyway, my screen just got better and that means more love for my S2. A couple of weeks ago I found it a tad too sensitive. Right now it's "clickier" and I'm hoping it goes a little more in this direction.
    09-09-10 05:04 AM
    I just got a warranty replacement for my original s2. I knew about the revised screens so I called up support and had to explain about the screen click sensitivity issue or lack of sensitivity. At times it was great and at times it was just incredibly hard to press.

The replacement has a revised screen. The click is perfect, more sensitive, and consistent. I noticed the screen is flush with the frame and seems to sit higher on the bottom. There is a big difference between my old and new device. I've already let other storm users test it out and they agree it's much better.

Its funny to think about how my experience with this device just improved so drastically with a revised screen. Just makes me wonder who is still sporting the old screen or who may have passed up the storm 2 because the click screen didn't wow them. I'd say I'm pretty happy now.

I should mention that I have read posts about screens being over sensitive where clicking happens just by barely touching the screen. I am not seeing that with this particular device. There are also no double clicks or rapid clicking for one press. Hmm what else? Canada build and...oh yeah this particular device with all my apps loaded reboots in 3 minutes. Can't explain that one. Blows away the time of my old device.

09-09-10 10:39 AM
    Would you be willing to crack open your device and see if the Screen has any markings on it?
    09-10-10 04:47 PM
    So,my near-launch Storm 2 had been doing the whole select multiple places on the screen thing for a little while, but I had enough when it produced the appropriate combination to dial 911. So, Verizon was really great about getting me a replacement. I told them battery pulls fixed the issue temporarily and a master reset only works temporarily. They said that those were their suggestions so they went ahead and overnighted me a replacement. No green dot on the box, but the box has what resembles a date of code of sometime in August. The phone has the code N8A which isn't on the list in this thread, but it is definitely different. The clicking is more even and a bit easier than my original one.

I'm guessing the replacements aren't new at this point, but I'm guessing they're refurbing the defective ones with the new parts.

Time will tell.

I'm surprised that some of you have had yours replaced so often. I thought after so many Verizon switched you to another device?
    09-11-10 10:20 AM
    I guess coming late into the game has its pros and cons. Love at first sight, love at first touch for mine. I can't describe how wonderfully SurePress feels. If I had issues with the screen my first impression of the S2 would have been sub-par. Fortunately, mine was a refurb with the revised screens. And it makes all the difference for someone who loves clicking!
    09-11-10 10:55 AM
    Gotta admit that I am definitely a fan of surepress. It took me a couple of days to get used to it, but once I did, all other non-clickable touchscreens just feel wrong!
    I never liked typing on my iPod Touch and always wondered why everybody raved about the keyboard on the iPhone & iPod Touch.
    Surepress makes you feel almost like you have physical keys and I really enjoy typing on it. I've even showed the phone to several die-hard physical keyboard users and they quickly warmed to surepress. Why the technology has gotten such a bum rap is beyond me.
    I for one will miss it when I upgrade to the Torch (as soon as the second version comes out!).

Back on topic, is there nobody that can tell me definitively how to identify one of the new, improved screens?
    09-15-10 07:15 AM
    Just received replacement works great. Now if I only had a browser that is not snail pace.
    09-17-10 04:43 PM
    Gotta admit that I am definitely a fan of surepress. It took me a couple of days to get used to it, but once I did, all other non-clickable touchscreens just feel wrong!
    I never liked typing on my iPod Touch and always wondered why everybody raved about the keyboard on the iPhone & iPod Touch.
    Surepress makes you feel almost like you have physical keys and I really enjoy typing on it. I've even showed the phone to several die-hard physical keyboard users and they quickly warmed to surepress. Why the technology has gotten such a bum rap is beyond me.
    :
    totally agree
    09-17-10 06:09 PM
    I had got my warranty replacement phone from bell today and they replace my storm 1 with a storm 2

So far when i had plug it into the computer it rebooted 5 times cause i tried about 5 times before it work with the sd card in the phone.

after that while i was making a call the phone had some kind of lag and was hanging up on the call and doing random stuff!
    also the screen sometimes when press in the center it does this odd 3 to 5 click thing ???
    then the lock button didn;t unlock the phone and it was all buggy for the first few hours. I had to battery pull to fix it

what i want to know is the phone i just got is it one of the ones with the screen problem?
    why i ask is the phone when i am typing it sometimes goes to homescreen randomly and the screen clicks weird. plus when i am typing in bbm and leave it on the screen sometime and the scree blanks out and when i click the keyboard is all black and i have to hover my fingers over the keyboard for the keys to start showing up again?
    here is the picture of the back of my phone cause idk where to find the date code can someone please give me some insite to this and let me know!
    I have 5 days to retrun this if it not working right
    should i just tell bell that i have a defected model and they need to send me a new one with a certain datecode??
    thanks
    here is the picture
    thanks

http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...1&d=1288431525
    Last edited by alicklee; 10-30-10 at 04:51 AM.
    10-30-10 04:39 AM
    The date should be on the box it came in, but it looks like you got a bogus unit. I'd have them replace it with a new one if I were you.

10-30-10 08:55 AM
960 ... 36373839
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD