I doubt it. If you were with Vodafone maybe. At this point I think Verizon is swapping them out as a "good will" gesture to there clients.
    So am i to assume that this would only be if I were a Verizon subscriber and it has nothing to do with the fact that it is Verizon hardware? Could I maybe get a family memeber in the US who is on Verizon to do it for me? If its a recall that is not considered "good will."
    03-12-10 11:44 PM
    Their is no Verizon hardware. The device is made by RIM, as is the OS. Verizon has a contract with RIM that would probably include various performance requirements, etc. However it worked out, Verizon determined that this was enough of an issue to make arrangements with RIM to make revisions to the hardware. That being said, we're (ok, me anyway) assuming that this is a deal between Verizon and RIM and that other carriers have not yet made such arrangements. At least, not that I've heard about. Anyone else?

So am i to assume that this would only be if I were a Verizon subscriber and it has nothing to do with the fact that it is Verizon hardware? Could I maybe get a family memeber in the US who is on Verizon to do it for me? If its a recall that is not considered "good will."
    03-13-10 12:21 AM
    Their is no Verizon hardware. The device is made by RIM, as is the OS. Verizon has a contract with RIM that would probably include various performance requirements, etc. However it worked out, Verizon determined that this was enough of an issue to make arrangements with RIM to make revisions to the hardware. That being said, we're (ok, me anyway) assuming that this is a deal between Verizon and RIM and that other carriers have not yet made such arrangements. At least, not that I've heard about. Anyone else?
    Sorry what I meant by that was hardware made for Verizon not Verizon hardware. I know that the carriers do not manufacture their own hardware. I guess because I am not a verizon subscriber the fact that I have a verizon branded device doesn't matter in this instance.
    03-13-10 01:01 AM
    Sorry what I meant by that was hardware made for Verizon not Verizon hardware. I know that the carriers do not manufacture their own hardware. I guess because I am not a verizon subscriber the fact that I have a verizon branded device doesn't matter in this instance.
    The Verizon branding means nothing. Verizon is doing the exchange for there customers through RIM as a courtesy to there line customers. You would have to try to have it done direct through RIM regardless of the branding since you didn't buy it from Verizon.
    03-13-10 02:17 AM
    ...Could I maybe get a family memeber in the US who is on Verizon to do it for me? If its a recall that is not considered "good will."
    You could try. You'd have to do an ESN/MEID change, putting the Storm2 & BB Data plan on the family member's line, and have him/her then call in.

Now, VZW might challenge this as they don't see record of the phone being purchased on the family member's account. I'm not sure how VZW handles replacement of phones given as "gifts" (with no proof of purchase) which are still under warranty.

Another thing to keep in mind is... does your family member have a "feature phone" which is now classified as a "3G MultiMedia phone"? or do they have the $15 Vcast Vpack on their line? With VZW's recent changes and requirements even for these "feature phones" the family member would have to be on the new plans/requirements when they switch back to their regular phone.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 03-13-10 at 07:43 AM.
    03-13-10 07:40 AM
    Sorry to hear about everyone's trouble. I have had my storm 2 since day one. I have luckly no issues at all. My buttons at the bottom work screen responds at all times. Running 320. The screen is flush all around.

If I was having any issued like mentioned I would exchange it. It's almost like u get punished for being loyal and getting the device before others that may have held out.

On another note about it not being a recall think about all the other vz storm 2 owners that DON'T use cb. They'll never know there was this option available to them and thus think it is the way the phone works. (sorry to admit there r people like that) vz should replace all of these "older" s2 with new ones assuming the new WILL work better than the old. Bc vz can't do this they won't call it a recall or proactively replace them.

Just my 2 cents

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-10 09:31 AM
    Sorry to hear about everyone's trouble. I have had my storm 2 since day one. I have luckly no issues at all. My buttons at the bottom work screen responds at all times. Running 320. The screen is flush all around.

If I was having any issued like mentioned I would exchange it. It's almost like u get punished for being loyal and getting the device before others that may have held out.

On another note about it not being a recall think about all the other vz storm 2 owners that DON'T use cb. They'll never know there was this option available to them and thus think it is the way the phone works. (sorry to admit there r people like that) vz should replace all of these "older" s2 with new ones assuming the new WILL work better than the old. Bc vz can't do this they won't call it a recall or proactively replace them.

Just my 2 cents

I don't really think the update totally fixed the sticky lower keys. It did however improve the general feeling of the push force needed to actuate the keys now.
    03-13-10 02:27 PM
    I was still with in my first 30 days, so I went to the verizon store yesterday and took the email with me and the people there were like we dont know anything about this so I got the manager and he said oh yes we did get an email about that so I got a brand new phone with the date code of 25022010. I am still running .320, the bottom keys stick alittle bit but I do have my phone in the otterbox defender case so it may be that. I do however notice a big difference in typing. My screen is much easier to press, little to no effort which is a huge difference from my first storm 2.
    03-13-10 03:16 PM
    This just disturbs me no end, and it gets worse with each post I read. I had the exact same experience. I had already exchanged my phone for one of the updated ones, I was a happy camper. I stopped by my local VZW store (the largest of about 10 in town) to look at some accessories and while there, ran into the store manager. I happened to mention the sticky key issue and asked if she was seeing a lot of traffic on the issue. To my surprise (though, in retrospect, I'm clueless as to why I was surprised), she said "no, we've heard nothing about this." C'mon...it appears to be pretty clear now that the notice went out to ALL VZW stores, why do they conceal that? Even worse, as in your case, the manager mentioned "oh yes, we did get an email on that" but apparently, chose not to mention this to the rest of the staff? ::: Head Reeling ::: Baffled, I'm completely baffled.

I was still with in my first 30 days, so I went to the verizon store yesterday and took the email with me and the people there were like we dont know anything about this so I got the manager and he said oh yes we did get an email about that so I got a brand new phone with the date code of 25022010. I am still running .320, the bottom keys stick alittle bit but I do have my phone in the otterbox defender case so it may be that. I do however notice a big difference in typing. My screen is much easier to press, little to no effort which is a huge difference from my first storm 2.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 03-13-10 at 04:56 PM.
    03-13-10 04:34 PM
    Received my replacement yesterday and it was an old date code not on the list, dated January on the box but with a green dot. Verizon is trying again and sending me another and I am to return the first attempt.

More Monday when the box arrives...
    03-13-10 04:44 PM
    Received my replacement yesterday and it was an old date code not on the list, dated January on the box but with a green dot. Verizon is trying again and sending me another and I am to return the first attempt.

More Monday when the box arrives...
    Ditto the replacement i received today had a green dot on the box but the date was tested on 1/10/10 and the code was 2B9 which is not on the new hardware list so they are sending me a new one.

didnt even bother to turn it on.
    03-13-10 05:00 PM
    Yea im guessing they have run out of all of the Febuary 2010 builds now. It appears the recall send back only went to the store level "new sales" stock. I wonder if they ever intended to fix the so called replacement hardware at all.
    03-13-10 07:04 PM
    if you go to the store, do they swap it right then and there? if so, are they importing all of your contacts and files (on the unit as well as the micro SD card? I'm assuming I'll need to download and reinstall all of my apps as well?
    03-13-10 07:58 PM
    Got my third replacement today in the mail. Must say it is perfect. It did come in the brown box with the battery door. The screen is even, the click is crisp and soft, and the buttons all work just fine. I'm extremely happy with it.

03-13-10 09:25 PM
    Got my third replacement today in the mail. Must say it is perfect. It did come in the brown box with the battery door. The screen is even, the click is crisp and soft, and the buttons all work just fine. I'm extremely happy with it.

3rd times's the charm? Lol

03-13-10 09:36 PM
    I happened to mention the sticky key issue and asked if she was seeing a lot of traffic on the issue. To my surprise (though, in retrospect, I'm clueless as to why I was surprised), she said "no, we've heard nothing about this." C'mon...it appears to be pretty clear now that the notice went out to ALL VZW stores, why do they conceal that? Even worse, as in your case, the manager mentioned "oh yes, we did get an email on that" but apparently, chose not to mention this to the rest of the staff? ::: Head Reeling ::: Baffled, I'm completely baffled.
    I mentioned this in an earlier post with the experiance with my son. He was told by the store manager that everyone knows about it and to keep it on the down low, to keep people who are not having real issues from returning their phones just because they want a new/refurbed one.
    03-13-10 09:38 PM
    I mentioned this in an earlier post with the experiance with my son. He was told by the store manager that everyone knows about it and to keep it on the down low, to keep people who are not having real issues from returning their phones just because they want a new/refurbed one.
    I'm expecting my 3rd attempt at getting a new device on Monday simply because I don't mind getting a refurb as long as it's the new hardware, and told the reps I've talked to just that. I would prefer an unused device but being as I've had my current device longer than 30 days, I can't really put my foot down that it HAS to be brand new. And so far I've been treated very well in trying to get one

03-13-10 09:50 PM
    Keep your fingers crossed. I'm well out of my 30 days and my replacement unit that arrived last Tuesday, was new (in a brown box, but zero usage on the device). It works great.

I'm expecting my 3rd attempt at getting a new device on Monday simply because I don't mind getting a refurb as long as it's the new hardware, and told the reps I've talked to just that. I would prefer an unused device but being as I've had my current device longer than 30 days, I can't really put my foot down that it HAS to be brand new. And so far I've been treated very well in trying to get one

03-13-10 10:06 PM
    Keep your fingers crossed. I'm well out of my 30 days and my replacement unit that arrived last Tuesday, was new (in a brown box, but zero usage on the device). It works great.
    Knocked on wood, I'd cross my fingers but they're tired after having used .320 again today, went to the store to return the 1st unit sent and see what they had in inventory lol

03-13-10 10:32 PM
    if you go to the store, do they swap it right then and there? if so, are they importing all of your contacts and files (on the unit as well as the micro SD card? I'm assuming I'll need to download and reinstall all of my apps as well?
    If the store is going to do the swap, yes they do it right then and there if they have them in stock.

The stores usually don't do anything with migrating BB data or apps.

Of course, you take your MicroSD card to the new phone, so anything stored on the MicroSD (like pix, videos, ring tones, music, other files, etc) will come across.

But calendar, contacts, emails, messages, tasks, memos, apps, after market or 3rd party themes, etc will NOT be brought to the new device by the store. You must do that.
    03-13-10 11:56 PM
    Just back up your phone on your computer before you exchange phones
    03-14-10 04:31 AM
    Sorry to randomly jump in here, but I have a few questions...

What exactly is the issue these "fixed" Storms are fixing? I have a 9550 which is dated 01/12/10 by the distributer (it's not a VZW or RIM sticker that has the date). I occasionally, and I should stress that it's really rare, the bottom row of buttons are extremely hard to click, or they randomly double click when I click them.

The 9550 I have was purchased unlocked, brand new VZW packaging. Is there any way I can get a replacement from RIM/VZW directly, or do I need to deal with who I bought it from (assuming these new ones actually fix what I mentioned above)?

Thanks!
    03-14-10 10:34 AM
    Sorry to randomly jump in here, but I have a few questions...

What exactly is the issue these "fixed" Storms are fixing? I have a 9550 which is dated 01/12/10 by the distributer (it's not a VZW or RIM sticker that has the date). I occasionally, and I should stress that it's really rare, the bottom row of buttons are extremely hard to click, or they randomly double click when I click them.

The 9550 I have was purchased unlocked, brand new VZW packaging. Is there any way I can get a replacement from RIM/VZW directly, or do I need to deal with who I bought it from (assuming these new ones actually fix what I mentioned above)?

Thanks!
    unless you are with VZW you are screwed or will have to deal with who you bought the phone from. That is the risk you take getting a phone with no warranty
    03-14-10 11:54 AM
    unless you are with VZW you are screwed or will have to deal with who you bought the phone from. That is the risk you take getting a phone with no warranty
    That's what I thought... Guess I'll have to stick with what I have.
    03-14-10 11:59 AM
    If the store is going to do the swap, yes they do it right then and there if they have them in stock.

The stores usually don't do anything with migrating BB data or apps.

Of course, you take your MicroSD card to the new phone, so anything stored on the MicroSD (like pix, videos, ring tones, music, other files, etc) will come across.

But calendar, contacts, emails, messages, tasks, memos, apps, after market or 3rd party themes, etc will NOT be brought to the new device by the store. You must do that.

In the past, when i would exchange my BB for issues, once they say there going to swap it out I ask them to give me the phone so I could wipe it while they are getting the other phone.. Never had a issue with them refusing that.
    03-14-10 12:51 PM
960 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD