From my days toting a tool bag and driving around fixing machines for a large computer company... FRU = Field Replaceable Unit.

So which meaning VZW or RIM uses, its up for guesses/debates

When I ordered FRU's... they were usually "new" parts, later in the life cycle of the machine, I got boxes with orange stickers labeling the boxes and sometimes even the parts as "serviceable used part"

So these "improved screen" devices might be newly manufactured devices with the improved screen done on the line, factory reworked, refurbished or repaied devices with the improved screen added, or just plain defective returns from field devices which are repaired and "tested to perform like new" that they've swapped the screen out, but likely is a mix of all of them..
    i called yesterday about getting mine replaced. talking to the rep on the phone the units that they are sending us the case that holds the components is used and refurbished but the internals are new. i have my suspicions as to what all is new, i would be willing to wager a good ammount of money that they are reusing as much of the old components as possible to cut costs. with this you may as well consider this a used refurbised phone. im OK with this as long as the replacement works like it is supposed to without problems (outside of OS bugs) and it doesn't look like it's been drug by a chain down the road.

the rep mentioned that the used case is what prevents them as selling it as a new phone.
    03-09-10 09:05 AM
    First of all the phone is brand new and not a referb. It comes in a service box with a back cover and new SIM thats all. The date on mine under the battery door is 240210 So I guess that means Feb 24th 2010. here are some pictures. Note the green dot on box flap.
    Exactly what mine looked like when it arrived last evening. I have a very small speck of dust under the camera lens. Is there a way to remove that???
    03-09-10 09:08 AM
    First of all the phone is brand new and not a referb. It comes in a service box with a back cover and new SIM thats all. The date on mine under the battery door is 240210 So I guess that means Feb 24th 2010. here are some pictures. Note the green dot on box flap.

I don't have a date where you indicated. Mine says "BA9" between the PIN and "Made in Mexico". The green button works great so I am sure mine has been fixed and it was packaged just like your photos. Hmmm.
    03-09-10 09:12 AM
    My replacement comes today via FedEx and the Pre Plus might go back to Best Buy...we'll see.
    03-09-10 09:13 AM
    I spoke to the VZW tech rep on the phone, she transed me to the Tech Support manager on call. I spoke bluntly to the manager, told her i was aware of the recall, used the information i recieved from internet research, i was not hasseled about this issue.

They were very reponsive to my needs because i was equiped with the proper information for the conversation at hand.

My new device will be here on friday and will report my findings. My only suggestion to you guys is equip yourselves with all information to appear and actually be knowledgable to the topic and all will go smooth with no hastle.

do not waste your time at the stores, call the direct number to tech support, go through the first line of defense, then the second and all will go accordingly.
    My two local stores are out of refurbs (or whatever you want to call them). They didn't have a single replacement Storm2 in the store. I was mailed one over night yesterday.
    03-09-10 09:18 AM
    I driving around yesterday, went into vzw for fun.Said my storm1 was freezing up(it was not)i also said it was my 3rd storm1.They are sending me storm2 by fedx should get it tommorow.Is this a new policy now.
    03-09-10 09:46 AM
    This doesn't seem to matter, as it has been stated several times not all devices are having problems. You could get a replacement that doesn't have the "improvement" and never have button problem again. I can't decide whether or not from people's experiances such as my son's, if Verizon support/store staff really doesn't know about the issue, or it's to keep people who really don't have the issue/problem from replacing their device just to get a new one, or because "all the kids are doing it".
    That's why I'm keeping this one and giving it a go
    03-09-10 09:51 AM
    Thanks for posting, I wanted to get some feed back before asking for a new one. Mine has all the issues reported; non-responsive bottom buttons, double click. I was hoping it was a software fix, but glad RIM owned up and issued a hardware revision.

I do have one other problem, and looking at your hardware in the pictures it may still be an issue. Occasionally if I jar the phone a little bit (mostly dropping into cup holder in my car) the phone will reboot. I personally think it's because the battery contacts are so low, plus the lack of battery "stub." The battery has a notch below the + & - signs, my old S1 and wife's Tour have a stub that holds down the battery. My S2 and the one in your pic the stub is missing, though some tear-down pics of other S2's had the stub.
    I ripped one of my business cards the size of my battery and put it on the top of the battery and under the battery door, sandwich like. That seams to keep it nice and snug.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-10 09:59 AM
    Question: has anyone on here called in regarding this issue and actually been granted a replacement S2 that WAS NOT still under the 30 day warranty?

I got my S2 back in November and am indeed suffering from this issue and would like one of these RIM replacements.
    03-09-10 10:27 AM
    yes. I got my S2 in Oct or Nov. I cant remember.
    03-09-10 10:29 AM
    Question: has anyone on here called in regarding this issue and actually been granted a replacement S2 that WAS NOT still under the 30 day warranty?

I got my S2 back in November and am indeed suffering from this issue and would like one of these RIM replacements.
    Mine was wayyy past 30 days. They didn't give me any problems.
    03-09-10 10:51 AM

Mine was way past 30 days more like 90 days.
    03-09-10 10:58 AM
    Exactly what mine looked like when it arrived last evening. I have a very small speck of dust under the camera lens. Is there a way to remove that???
    That Im not to sure about that. If its not right over the camera lens it wont really bother anything anyway.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 03-09-10 at 11:15 AM.
    03-09-10 11:07 AM
    For those of you that got a replacement FRU with the new date code, can you tell me which location it shipped from? I believe there are only two locations in which FRUs are shipped from, Ft. Worth, TX, being the largest and the main one. I received mine from Ft. Worth, TX, but it was an old device. The Send Key and Upper Left Corner were DOA. I sent it back... I'm not sure if this is a location thing, or luck of the draw because obviously this particular location was not fully replaced.
    03-09-10 11:07 AM
    For those of you that got a replacement FRU with the new date code, can you tell me which location it shipped from? I believe there are only two locations in which FRUs are shipped from, Ft. Worth, TX, being the largest and the main one. I received mine from Ft. Worth, TX, but it was an old device. The Send Key and Upper Left Corner were DOA. I sent it back... I'm not sure if this is a location thing, or luck of the draw because obviously this particular location was not fully replaced.
    Mine came from Fort Worth TX.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 03-09-10 at 11:16 AM.
    03-09-10 11:13 AM
    Mine cam from Fort Worth TX.
    Thanks. Maybe the next one will be a revised version then. It's probably luck of the draw, or they still have some old ones lying around.
    03-09-10 11:15 AM
    mine will be here today, from Fort worth...
    03-09-10 11:16 AM
    mine will be here today, from Fort worth...
    Cool...keep us updated.
    03-09-10 11:24 AM
    Cool...keep us updated.
    yup, i will. i'm stuck here waiting, as they want a signature for the delivery.
    03-09-10 11:27 AM
    Mine is coming from Fort Worth
    03-09-10 11:27 AM

Mine says D1A which wasnt listed here: C2A, D2A, E2A, F2A, G2A, H2A, I2A, J2A, K2A, L2A, M2A and N2A.

from the posting: Carriers Getting New Screen Improved BlackBerry Storm2 - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews

BUT I DO HAVE A GREEN DOT on the packaging it came in -- so I'm good right?

(Came from Fort Worth, TX)
    Last edited by kbrosnihan; 03-09-10 at 11:33 AM.
    03-09-10 11:31 AM
    Fort Worth.
    03-09-10 11:34 AM
    I'm thinking about trying this whole replacement thing also.

Just got a brand new S2 off of ebay from a celluar store, bottom buttons stick from time to time, starting to get very annoying.
    03-09-10 11:34 AM
    Mine says D1A which wasnt listed here: C2A, D2A, E2A, F2A, G2A, H2A, I2A, J2A, K2A, L2A, M2A and N2A.

from the posting: Carriers Getting New Screen Improved BlackBerry Storm2 - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews

My code didn't match either, but it was pack just like the pics and with the green dot. and the Send key works like a charm. I think you're ok.
    03-09-10 11:36 AM

You don't have a revised one then. If it's working good, though, you're fine.
    03-09-10 11:37 AM
960 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD