I am going in to get a new one and give it a try...how do i make sure they sell me a new one with update hardware?
    03-08-10 07:41 PM
    They are all updated hardware now. RIM recalled the last week.
    03-08-10 07:42 PM
    Got mine today without the new hardware
    03-08-10 07:46 PM
    holy crap I just read all the threads on this....I seriously thought I was being OCD about my S2....so what do I have to do to get this replacement? Can we call in to get it or is it only an in-store exchange? I need time to carry everything over....
    03-08-10 07:47 PM
    Got mine today without the new hardware
    I thought I was right but stand corrected.
    03-08-10 07:48 PM
    its time for me to give it a try getting a new hardware one. I was really happy with my first storm, then it decided to go nutty and neither crackberry help or verizon could get it working correctly again. Ever since i think i have been through 3 and all of them had screen issues..this one is so hard to press its like a forearm workout! fingers crossed i can get back to when i first got my storm and absolutely loved it
    03-08-10 07:49 PM
    holy crap I just read all the threads on this....I seriously thought I was being OCD about my S2....so what do I have to do to get this replacement? Can we call in to get it or is it only an in-store exchange? I need time to carry everything over....
    You can call tech support and tell the your bottom buttons don't click and they will send you a new one. You will have 10 days to return the old one so you'll have time.
    I thought I was right but stand corrected.
    Gonna give this one a go anyway
    it wont matter what they replace the storm 2 with, certain people will still find ish to ***** about even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
    +100

Sooo true!!
    03-08-10 08:05 PM
    Thanks for posting, I wanted to get some feed back before asking for a new one. Mine has all the issues reported; non-responsive bottom buttons, double click. I was hoping it was a software fix, but glad RIM owned up and issued a hardware revision.

I do have one other problem, and looking at your hardware in the pictures it may still be an issue. Occasionally if I jar the phone a little bit (mostly dropping into cup holder in my car) the phone will reboot. I personally think it's because the battery contacts are so low, plus the lack of battery "stub." The battery has a notch below the + & - signs, my old S1 and wife's Tour have a stub that holds down the battery. My S2 and the one in your pic the stub is missing, though some tear-down pics of other S2's had the stub.
    03-08-10 08:07 PM
    Thanks for posting, I wanted to get some feed back before asking for a new one. Mine has all the issues reported; non-responsive bottom buttons, double click. I was hoping it was a software fix, but glad RIM owned up and issued a hardware revision.

I do have one other problem, and looking at your hardware in the pictures it may still be an issue. Occasionally if I jar the phone a little bit (mostly dropping into cup holder in my car) the phone will reboot. I personally think it's because the battery contacts are so low, plus the lack of battery "stub." The battery has a notch below the + & - signs, my old S1 and wife's Tour have a stub that holds down the battery. My S2 and the one in your pic the stub is missing, though some tear-down pics of other S2's had the stub.
    Many have this issue. Its due to a variation in battery thickness. Some batteries are thicker than others I don't know why. I have 4 OEM batteries and all are slightly different, maybe its different makers that RIM farms them out to. Here is what I did and the problem vanished. Affix a felt dot to the battery side facing the battery door problem solved. They can be found at most variety stores such as WalMart, KMart, ACE Etc. Buy the thin ones. This fills the gap between the battery and the door and assures the battery wont loose contact.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 03-08-10 at 08:19 PM.
    03-08-10 08:17 PM
    First of all the phone is brand new and not a referb. It comes in a service box with a back cover and new SIM thats all. The date on mine under the battery door is 240210 So I guess that means Feb 24th 2010. here are some pictures. Note the green dot on box flap.
    I upgraded from S1 to S2 27 Feb 10 and received my S2 03 Mar 10. No green dot on the box, but the build date was 250210 and built in Canada. Didn't have a pre-enhanced S2 to compare, but did call CS and they said that the build date confirmed that I have the enhanced screen. Don't really know, I am assuming I have it. The screen is flush with the rest of the phone and the screen is very good.
    03-08-10 08:21 PM
    Many have this issue. Its due to a variation in battery thickness. Some batteries are thicker than others I don't know why. I have 4 OEM batteries and all are slightly different, maybe its different makers that RIM farms them out to. Here is what I did and the problem vanished. Affix a felt dot to the battery side facing the battery door problem solved. They can be found at most variety stores such as WalMart, KMart, ACE Etc. Buy the thin ones. This fills the gap between the battery and the door and assures the battery wont loose contact.
    Thanks for the tip. Will give that a try. I couldn't help but notice that the phone in your pic HAS the little stub I'm talking about. I wonder how much hardware variance there really is...
    03-08-10 08:24 PM
    I upgraded from S1 to S2 27 Feb 10 and received my S2 03 Mar 10. No green dot on the box, but the build date was 250210 and built in Canada. Didn't have a pre-enhanced S2 to compare, but did call CS and they said that the build date confirmed that I have the enhanced screen. Don't really know, I am assuming I have it. The screen is flush with the rest of the phone and the screen is very good.
    Anything after 2/22/2010 is the new version as I understand it.
    03-08-10 08:25 PM
    So what exactly is different other than the green dot? Different labels in the cavity or what? I assume they gave it to you in box?
    Where exactly is the build date?
    03-08-10 08:56 PM
    Who was the guy that said his replacement did not have the new hardware? what's up with that? I thought all the refurbs got the do-over
    03-08-10 09:00 PM
    Who was the guy that said his replacement did not have the new hardware? what's up with that? I thought all the refurbs got the do-over
    Look at the 3rd photo in post #1 the build date can be found under the bar code on the main sticker under the battery between the pin# and the made in....
    03-08-10 09:03 PM
    Thanks, however did anyone get a replacement device yet (not new) to hear their side of the story. I should have mine Wed.
    03-08-10 09:10 PM
    I love it!!!
    03-08-10 09:34 PM
    Thanks, however did anyone get a replacement device yet (not new) to hear their side of the story. I should have mine Wed.
    This was a replacement handset. The handset is NOT refurbished but new. It just comes in a non retail brown service box without the accessories. See post number one in this thread and view the pictures.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 03-08-10 at 09:45 PM.
    03-08-10 09:36 PM
    it was manufactured originally on 12/16/09 it appears....long time to sit on a shelf
    03-08-10 09:48 PM
    it was manufactured originally on 12/16/09 it appears....long time to sit on a shelf
    I saw that, too. Also, Bettermost, your SKU is FRUBB9550. If I'm not mistaken, FRU stands for "Factory Refurbished Unit." Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I'm thinking that you do have a refurbished unit, Bettermost, but who cares if it works that well. Keep playing with it and let us know how it holds up.
    03-08-10 10:05 PM
    I saw that, too. Also, Bettermost, your SKU is FRUBB9550. If I'm not mistaken, FRU stands for "Factory Refurbished Unit." Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I'm thinking that you do have a refurbished unit, Bettermost, but who cares if it works that well. Keep playing with it and let us know how it holds up.

The phone is new. FRU = Factory Replacement Unit
    03-08-10 10:09 PM
    I guess that makes sense, but the sticker on the left (the square one with the 3D barcode) shows a manufacture date of 121609 (12/16/09). Like mine shows 102209 (10/22/09).

I know you were pointing to the code on the longer sticker on the right (240210), but mine doesn't even have that type of code in that location. There mine says YA9, which leads me to believe its not a date code.
    03-08-10 10:15 PM
    FRU = Field Replacement Unit actually
    03-08-10 10:16 PM
960 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD