whats going on guys... im new to this forum and to blackberrys. but anyways i was gonna ask how do you type on the STORM. whenever im trying to type in Sure Press or QWERTY i always end up hitting another key that i dont want. i really dont have that big of hands so i know thats not the problem. im just wondering whats the best way to type Accurate and Fast? i have to go really slow when im typing anything just to get it right, and thats getting old fast... lol

i like everything on the phone, except for the txting...

thanks for any help, and im glad to be on the Crackberry Forums

p.s. another thing i was gonna ask is whats the best way to make my storm run Fast and Smoothly...
    12-31-08 01:30 AM
    It takes time to get used to the txting... I'm almost as fast now as when I was on my Voyager....

As for the smooth... Upgrade to .85...
    12-31-08 01:49 AM
    welcome...

split the keyboard down the middle and keep your thumbs on their respective sides.

when you type the wrong word and it shows the right word...pressing the next letter or punctuation or space will automatically change it to the word highlighted.

if you want to keep something you typed and it gives you a choice of something else, press the screen in the same line and the choice will dissapear.

you can add words to the sure type dictionary if you find you commonly misspell specific words.
    Last edited by neolantis; 12-31-08 at 01:55 AM.
    12-31-08 01:51 AM
    lightly glide your finger over a letter and see it highlight then press.try typing a long email to no one.practice works.i still dont think this phone is made for fast texting in portrait mode use sure type.works well for me.
    12-31-08 01:51 AM
    p.s. another thing i was gonna ask is whats the best way to make my storm run Fast and Smoothly...
    read in the how to forums for more detail with specific questions...

when you search choose the section you want on the right side and it will narrow things down for you
    12-31-08 01:58 AM
    whats going on guys... im new to this forum and to blackberrys. but anyways i was gonna ask how do you type on the STORM. whenever im trying to type in Sure Press or QWERTY i always end up hitting another key that i dont want. i really dont have that big of hands so i know thats not the problem. im just wondering whats the best way to type Accurate and Fast? i have to go really slow when im typing anything just to get it right, and thats getting old fast... lol

i like everything on the phone, except for the txting...

thanks for any help, and im glad to be on the Crackberry Forums

just use both thumbs to type, you can usually feel ur thumb on the suretype keyboard and feel the blue glowlight up without actually inserting that key into the text field. Once you practice this quiet a few times, u willget used to this.

while suretype has predicted a word for you, the easiest way to accept it is to hit the return key or space key. to ignore the word that was predicted and continue withwhat u were typing you may want to click on the text field outside the selection drop down window .(white space)

when you are provided with a dropdown selection (multiple choices of predicted text), when you select a particular word, click on the top of the text and not in the middle of the text (Finger placement) this usually help select the actual text you want from the multiple selection provided. without selecting thewrong word.
    12-31-08 02:03 AM
    It takes time to get used to the txting... I'm almost as fast now as when I was on my Voyager....

As for the smooth... Upgrade to .85...

thanks for all the help! im coming off the voyager/omnia. and i was a master at the voyager keyboard... so big, spacey, and precise. i want to be almost as that speed on the Storm
    12-31-08 02:09 AM
    i personally have practiced alot and think i will never be as fast as i was on my motorola q's qwerty. The rebound of the screen slows you down too much.

It sounds like your fast like me, i type 100wpm on a keyboard, so i notice it ALOT. People who type your average 20-30 WPM dont really notice it as much...
    12-31-08 03:13 AM
    When i try to type i had the same problem i used to be a WM user and it always had the keyboard. You can use your tip of your thumb and when you get used to it and your hands get a memory of the keys you can move faster with you typing. This helped for me maybe this can for you?
    12-31-08 03:58 AM
    This problem is doing my head in also. I hate how it automatically changes some of the words.

It's hard for me because my laptop and desktop keyboards are in French (I need it for French accents) and my phone isnt, I changed it to the French keyboard but then it changes all my words when I type in English. ARGGG.

Can I turn this off?
    12-31-08 07:45 AM
    definitely takes some adjustment. did you change any of the tap interval/hover period/swipe sensitivity settings? i messed around with mine a bit, which seems to have helped (plus a lot of practice)
    12-31-08 07:48 AM
    This problem is doing my head in also. I hate how it automatically changes some of the words.

It's hard for me because my laptop and desktop keyboards are in French (I need it for French accents) and my phone isnt, I changed it to the French keyboard but then it changes all my words when I type in English. ARGGG.

Can I turn this off?
    Try going here and turning off predictive text. that will make it quit changing your words automatically

Options > Localisation(Language for VZW) > Input Options
    12-31-08 08:01 AM
    I did that, but it still changes some words.

DOOM.

I wish I could have the English dictionary on the French keyboard because I like predictive.

I guess I'll just start saying everything in French instead.
    12-31-08 08:15 AM
    practice practice practice.......
    12-31-08 08:17 AM
    It is doing my head in, everytime I try to type a word and press the right buttons, it still tries to change it into a french word. I just have to get used to clicking the screen so it doesnt accept it I guess!
    12-31-08 10:43 AM
    suretype is the most accurate just use both thumbs and keep each thumb on half the screen use 1 thumb for the right and one for the left and PRACTICE its a killer but you can get use to it
    12-31-08 11:35 AM
    why don't you leave the keyboard in english and hover over letters to get the french accented ones?
    12-31-08 11:37 AM
    Yeah, just keep up the practice and keep your left thumb on the left side and right thumb on the right side. It's near impossible to try to switch.
    12-31-08 11:38 AM
    Go to options -> spell check -> uncheck autocorrection....I'm coming from the voyager as well....it def takes some time but I'm pretty quick after a week....also w/ auto correct off, spell check still on, it'll underline misspelled words & you can click on the word & it'll pop up w/ possible corrections you can scroll thru!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Harness your Chi!

I would leave the predictive texting on. Get used to using Suretype when you're typing anything where you'll be using full words (emails, etc...) - Suretype will get it right most of the time. Use the QWERTY in landscape when your typing anyting with abbreviations (texting, etc...). It just takes practice.
    why don't you leave the keyboard in english and hover over letters to get the french accented ones?
    Because I have to have my keyboard on my desktop and laptop in French for the accents because I type in French a lot, some of the letters are placed in a different place and when I've been typing on the English keyboard on my phone, then go to my computer I get really confused and type the wrong letters. Visa versa.

I'm ok with the typing, it's just that it changes the words for me even though I have autocorrection and predictive text turned off. I think I just need to get the reflex of pressing the screen above instead of space when the blue box comes up.

Last edited by skinnedcartree; 12-31-08 at 11:44 AM.
    12-31-08 11:42 AM
    well i guess im just gonna have to practice this keyboard, lol sounds like theres no easy way to get around it
    12-31-08 11:56 AM
    I was having the same trouble...hated the texting and it certainly slowed me down...I switched to "multitap" and like it soooo much better...I am now much faster...my only trouble is occasionally when I hit the space key...it does not space..it may be that I am just going too fast...try multitap, maybe it will work better for you (oh and ps...I even have acrylic nails, and it still works!!)
    12-31-08 12:05 PM
    Took me about a week and now I'm as fast on it (if not faster) than with my 8830 QWERTY. I had a problem on the 8830 with the keys being too close together.
    12-31-08 12:19 PM
    GIVE IT TIME!! The Storm isn't a Curve where you bust out text like it's nothing the first time. It takes getting used to. Practice, just like one poster said. I used to practice texting on my storm when I first got it all the time, and now it's nothing.
    12-31-08 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD