Hi

strange one this, this storm is the first time i've owned a blackberry, and as a phone and a way of accessing my emails its very impressive. However I came to the Storm from the iPhone, I got it when it first came out, trying to "break the norm". My problem is with the fun side of the Storm.

I was aware there would be an "Apps Centre" so i'm thinking it will be like the apps store, but it never has any updates, you can only get the basics (ringo, facebook, messenger) from it, all other apps you have to buy and there seems to be very few that are actually supported by the Storm anyway.

Themes are non existent, theres is one and one only. With the iphone theres tonnes of stuff you can personalise the phone with.

I should probably mention i'm in England. Can you tell me if this is just the way it is, or if i'm missing something major??

Thanks,

Mike
    01-14-09 09:05 AM
    The storm is still new - the iPhone has been out for a couple of years now and has much more 3rd party support right now. The apps store is supposed to be opening up with tons of new stuff in a few months, and the rest of the themes, apps, etc, should be coming in due time as well.

Don't forget - it's a blackberry; a business driven machine. The iPhone is a fun driven machine.
    01-14-09 09:10 AM
    yeah I can't wait for the app storm to open..hopefully sooner than later.
    01-14-09 09:12 AM
    Hi

strange one this, this storm is the first time i've owned a blackberry, and as a phone and a way of accessing my emails its very impressive. However I came to the Storm from the iPhone, I got it when it first came out, trying to "break the norm". My problem is with the fun side of the Storm.

I was aware there would be an "Apps Centre" so i'm thinking it will be like the apps store, but it never has any updates, you can only get the basics (ringo, facebook, messenger) from it, all other apps you have to buy and there seems to be very few that are actually supported by the Storm anyway.

Themes are non existent, theres is one and one only. With the iphone theres tonnes of stuff you can personalise the phone with.

I should probably mention i'm in England. Can you tell me if this is just the way it is, or if i'm missing something major??

Thanks,

Mike
    since the phone is out three months only they don't make themes yet. about the application center they say is coming soon but who knows when we still waiting for the second official os. update
    01-14-09 09:19 AM
    the app store for the iphone didn't open until a year after the iphone came out, right? its going to take a few months before our app store opens but I can't wait.
    01-14-09 09:22 AM
    I forgot about Apples application store they had since day 1.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 09:24 AM
    An addition to what has already been said, programs for Blackberry are written in a different programming language than those for the iPhone ... if the languages were the same I think you'd find a lot of developers releasing apps for Storm at a much higher rate.

Supposedly Blackberry's App Center will open in March, but that's just speculation.

I personally think RIM should have released a working App Center with the Storm instead of rushing the phone out before the holidays. With the product shortages and buggy OS, waiting would have been a much better idea anyway ...
    01-14-09 09:36 AM
    I forgot about Apples application store they had since day 1.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What you talking 'bout Wilis? It took over a year for the App Store to come to the iphone, unless you mean the second generation iphone 3G. With the original iphone, apple did not support 3rd Party Application for over 1 year. You had to use this stupid Web apps thing, that only had stuff from Apple.

Give RIM's App store a chance it has not even offically opened yet!
    01-14-09 09:41 AM
    Hi

Thanks,

Mike
    Hey why dont you please tell all of us how lucky we are to have the Storm and what a great decision it was not to go to the iPhone.... please please.
    01-14-09 10:01 AM
    What you talking 'bout Wilis? It took over a year for the App Store to come to the iphone, unless you mean the second generation iphone 3G. With the original iphone, apple did not support 3rd Party Application for over 1 year. You had to use this stupid Web apps thing, that only had stuff from Apple.

I think when you woke up this morning you forgot to turn on your sarcasm detector
    01-14-09 10:18 AM

I think he was being sarcastic...
    01-14-09 10:19 AM
    The only negative I see on RIM's side is that they are an established maker of cellular products over the last several years. There should have been developers out there salivating at the chance to sell software in an apps store that should have been ready for launch much quicker than it currently is.

Apple released an absolutely new product with the original iPhone(albeit their code wasn't new) and have somewhat an excuse for a long delay in releasing 3rd party apps access.

I own both. A 3G iPhone and a Storm. Each has it's +'s and -'s. I am leaning more towards the Storm simply for the robustness of it's messaging and email system. I also like to delete individual calls and texts. The filing system is very useful, too.

I do, however, think RIM needs to gets it's apps up to date to really try and win over some more current iPhone users. It's not an "us" versus "them" war. I just use whatever phone suits my needs.

Oh. BTW. Word Mole is addicting!
    01-14-09 12:35 PM
    Duh I totally missed it .... LMAO

Folks,

Part of the problem is that the SDK for the Storm was in beta before and just after the release of the phone and only a few developers had access to it. It's out fully now and we should see the Apps rolling in and of course once the App Center is out then we should be golden.
    01-14-09 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD