I'm REALLY confused here... I live in California and have a storm on Verizon, and have been trying to convince my friend in Canada (Bell network) to get a Storm. I flew to Canada and went with him to get it, and unfortunately, his Bell Storm is 4.7.0.148 and it's acting like a complete POS. I told him it would be no problem for me to upgrade it to 5.0.0.328, as I've convinced many local VZW friends to get Storms and upgraded their OS no problem. Well, it's somehow turned out to be much more difficult than I figured!

I did a fresh install of 501_b049_multilanguage Desktop software and 9530AMEA_PBr5_1_.0.0_rel508_PL4.2.0.128_A5.0.0.328 device software. Removed the vendor.xml. When I open the desktop manager with his phone connected, it doesn't show the .328, it only shows his .148 as the current OS, with no option of upgrade.

If I go in the apploader folder and run loader.exe, it connects to the device and says "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator". Like I said, I HAVE installed the device software.

I've tried completely uninstalling the Desktop Software and Device Software, reinstalling them in the opposite order, along with a bunch of other dumb ideas. I tried installing the original Bell 4.7 BB Desktop Manager with the .328 Device Software, same thing. I've tried everything I could think of and read forums all night until my brain exploded. I just can't figure this out!

If I don't figure it out today, we'll have to return his phone tomorrow morning so he can get an iphone before I fly back to Cali Any help would be appreciated, so I can BBM with my best buddy! (he's not interested in any other blackberry other than the Storm)
    12-19-09 04:33 PM
    Save him the headaches and let him get an iPhone. Find a chat program to load and use for free messaging instead of BBM. I say this because obviously he doesn't like the Storm enough to keep it. OS5 is NOT enough of an improvement to give is iPhone equality in my professional opinion. His hands won't be quite as tied using an iPhone, if the carrier is worth their salt.
    12-19-09 04:57 PM
    It's looking like iphone might be the direction I take him. I honestly don't remember my .148 being so worthless! We just got it last night and it's lagging like you wouldn't believe. A couple random reboots, huge delays in screen adjusting when tilting the phone etc, MASSIVE delays when clicking on any homescreen icons. Unbelievable. I don't know if I'm just lucky, but my 5.0.0.328 works fantastic... extremely smooth, no lags, no need for constant battery pulls. He likes mine a lot too, but this is turning into more trouble than it's worth I suppose. I don't want to get into doing a JL_Cmdr wipe and whatever else I may need to do with his
    12-19-09 05:23 PM
    You could always use BBSAK for a wipe, if you want, should be very easy to load up after a wipe. Try using Shrink a OS in administrator mode to shrink it, if you want, then hit loader button and try loading it that way.
    12-19-09 08:08 PM
    Try uninstalling all the OS's on the computer, deleting all the files from the c:/program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files folder, reinstalling .328 and go from there...

Atleast let him try the 5.0 software before giving up. You never know, he might really enjoy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-09 08:15 PM
    the .419/428 hybrid that Lyricidal put together is really good. I mean really really really good!
    12-19-09 08:51 PM
    It's looking like iphone might be the direction I take him. I honestly don't remember my .148 being so worthless! We just got it last night and it's lagging like you wouldn't believe. A couple random reboots, huge delays in screen adjusting when tilting the phone etc, MASSIVE delays when clicking on any homescreen icons. Unbelievable. I don't know if I'm just lucky, but my 5.0.0.328 works fantastic... extremely smooth, no lags, no need for constant battery pulls. He likes mine a lot too, but this is turning into more trouble than it's worth I suppose. I don't want to get into doing a JL_Cmdr wipe and whatever else I may need to do with his
    If you are still trying to upgrade, shoot me a PM or email me.
    12-20-09 11:20 AM
    Tell him to hang in there.
    There will be a new leak or "official upgrade" soon that will fix everything and will make the phone easy to use and issue free for ANYBODY!
    That's right - no headaches, required-tweaks, or compromises he'll just have to live with. The phone will just work - just like the iPhone already does.
    *cough* *cough*

Seriously..., tell him to just get the iPhone.
    Last edited by Ayrow; 12-20-09 at 12:32 PM.
    12-20-09 12:30 PM
    The problem you had with the upgrade is that you used BB DTM. Use the Loader.exe file.

As a heads up, I had to downgrade back to .122 for a few days while waiting for a replacement and let me just say that was a most painful experience. Telus is really behind the times and when I downgraded, even I was tempted to pitch the phone.

Your friend should try the Storm with OS 5.0 then try the iPhone. A lot of Telus and Bell users have gone back to BB after figuring out how short battery life is on the iPhone, and how they lose push email unless they have an Exchange server.

Ultimately though, your friend needs to be happy with whatever they get. As a heads up, the top selling BB on Bell (from what I hear) is actually the Bold 9700. Might be worth them looking at.
    12-20-09 01:15 PM
    let him get the iPhone. He needs to be happy with the phone he wants and not the one you think he needs. Doesnt matter which one is better, and more important than that is the coverage by the provider. So don't be so insistant on your will for his life. If its a mistake, he will feel better about it if its his mistake
    12-20-09 06:42 PM
    Very wise words.

let him get the iPhone. He needs to be happy with the phone he wants and not the one you think he needs. Doesnt matter which one is better, and more important than that is the coverage by the provider. So don't be so insistant on your will for his life. If its a mistake, he will feel better about it if its his mistake
    12-20-09 06:56 PM

Well Said Doctor Sid
    12-20-09 10:20 PM
    Thanks guys.. Although I am a Mac user, I would love to have the iPhone...BUT... There is not one ounce of comparison between ATT&T and Verizon in this area. I use my phone lots of times in places the "Blue Map" guys cant even get a signal. I was up at the ski slope once using the phone and a tourist asked me how I was doing that, he had an iPhone, I had my Storm with an iPhone theme.

I dont know the coverage area in Canada, but if the guy wants an iPhone, then my goodness, let him get it. I drive a Corvette, and I sure as heck don't want my buddies trying to talk me into getting a Impala. I don't care how much better the ride may be, if I want the vette, then I want the vette.

I have a suspicion that the Droid is gonna knock a huge dent in the iPhone market anyway. And when my contract is available for a upgrade, I may look at a droid. But for me right now, the Storm 1 is plenty of phone, and if I want to play with a computer, I have 2 macs to do that with.
    12-21-09 11:07 AM
    In Canada, iPhone is now on every major network. If he wants the phone, why not let him give it a go. Lots of ppl love the iphone

not me though...
    12-21-09 12:46 PM
    12-21-09 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD