Hey guys, I've had the storm 9530 for almost a year and just recently (within the past couple of days) I've had major issues with the keyboard. Basically what happens is I will try to type a word/sentence and the letters just hover and end up entering multiples of the letters i selected so a sentence typically looks like this:

aaaaaaahhhhhH u. WiillLll sseeeeee ttthhhhHheeeEee. Mmssssggg llooOlll.

I obviously don't type like this. There is some serious lag. I am running the latest OS, i have tried reseting to factory settings TWICE and removing everything from my storm to no avail. I have also downgraded the OS and it just keeps getting worse. I've contacted Telus numerous times and no one seems to be able to help me. Occasionally, the keyboard will work fine and then switches back to glitch mode. I don't think this is a humidity issue.

Also, I don't have a data plan besides "social networking" so I can't download anything via OTA or use a browser.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!! You can imagine how unbelievably frustrating this is.. no one knows what the heck I am trying to say!!
    Last edited by yasmeena; 07-28-10 at 04:05 AM.
    07-28-10 03:28 AM
    I have had 4 different Storm 9530's and two of them have had this issue. Usually it acts up in humidity, but with the second one that did this, it seems to happen randomly throughout the day. A battery pull fixes it. I believe this is a manufacturer defect, and if you have had your phone for less than a year it should be covered under warranty, and they should replace it for you. Or at least that's what Verizon did for me. The one I currently own started doing this, and I'm going to see if i can get it replaced again.
    07-28-10 06:46 AM
    I have not experienced this problem but have a couple of thoughts. First, If you are within your 1 year warrenty I would take it back and have it replaced. Most likely they will try reloading the OS prior to replaceing but worth a shot. Second, try reloading the OS yourself. It may be a glitch in the OS that is causing the problem and with a reload you may be up and running again. Good Luck.

You may also want to check the keyboard settings to make sure they are still correct. Mine are set as follows:

Key Rate: Normal
    Tap Interval: 400
    Hover Period: 1000
    Swipe Sensitivity: (High) 6
    Last edited by champr; 07-28-10 at 09:24 AM.
    07-28-10 09:22 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I completely wiped the phone twice and ran the latest software on the clean phone, still had the same issue and then downgraded the OS to the 4.0 version and the problem persisted. I'm about ready to pull my hair out!! I think I'm going to bring it into Telus and hopefully they give me a new storm. They actually told me if I need a new phone it's up to the discretion of the store to charge me for it even under warranty!

Battery pulls don't work, it just gets worse
    07-28-10 11:16 AM
    You may want to consider signing up for your carrier's warranty before bringing it in. Just in case it is out of warranty, then you can bring it in under warranty without a prior claim for the same problem.

Also, some carriers (such as Verizon) will offer a replacement for ~$50 as a pure swap. I talked to my local VZW store service people and they said that can be offered to people who are out of warranty, apparently at the discretion of the service personnel, so being polite and getting on their good side is a good idea. In fact I was able to take advantage of that with a Samsung i740 that had broken and it beat the heck out of having to buy a new/used phone as a replacement.

Scott
    07-28-10 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD