Hi everyone,
    I setup my comcast email on my storm and was just trying to figure out how to change the receive time. Is it setup to check for new messages every 5min? Can I make it check for new msgs every 2min?
    thanks
    12-21-08 02:46 PM
    To my knowledge i dont think you can. It gets the emails as they are sent. There is no way to just do a "Retrieve Now" or anything timed
    12-21-08 02:49 PM
    hmm ok thanks!
    12-21-08 04:05 PM
    I have mine set up with my Comcast address also and it takes about 2 minutes to hit my phone. I take it thats normal because its a Pop account and not the actual vzw.blackberry.net account
    12-21-08 04:12 PM
    If you want to receive your mail faster, you can try forwarding your mail to a GMail account and have it set up to IMAP instead of POP3. You will receive mail instantly.
    12-21-08 04:14 PM
    ughh this is so irritating.

ive been having this issue with my comcast account since day 1.

i have a 10 minute delay on average from wen my computer receives it to when my storm receives it...

so is the issue that comcast is a pop3? and the only way to receive mail instally is IMAP?

if so,

can we change comcast to an IMAP format? or is that impossible?
    12-21-08 04:35 PM
    actually IMAP is slower then pop3 mail when using Gmail.

Gmail is instantaneous for me using pop3.
    12-21-08 04:37 PM
    hmm since ive searched on the phone all over under all sorts of mail settings and cannot find anything about push and check and what not...

is their anything you can change on the blackberry account thing online you know this..
    Last edited by stormiscoming; 12-21-08 at 05:15 PM.
    12-21-08 04:41 PM
    I know this isn't the solution but I truly highly recommend this to anyone using a internet service provided email.

Change it to a web based like email tell everyone you got a new email address.

The reason why I suggest this.. from a IT standpoint is that if you leave that service provider they may not even be able to keep the email address so then if some company comes out with a better service plan for the money your stuck because you do not want to lose your email..

gmail for example allows you to have just about unlimited email storage for free it has free pop free imap .. free additional use as emails..

free additional connection accounts

Like I said this is not a solution but I highly recommend doing this.. it is a complete pain in the **** to change your email and at some point with service providers email you may be forced to so you might as well plan early and change to something that is less likely going to go away.
    12-21-08 04:41 PM
    just have your comcast auto-forward to your vzw.bb.net addy and it should be almost instant?
    12-21-08 04:42 PM
    You would have to call your cable company to see if they have IMAP settings. I use Time Warner and they do not have IMAP settings for personal accounts. So I route all my e-mails through GMail using IMAP and receive them instantly.
    12-21-08 04:42 PM
    Eram's solution will work as well.
    12-21-08 04:44 PM
    actually IMAP is slower then pop3 mail when using Gmail.

Gmail is instantaneous for me using pop3.
    IMAP is instantaneous as well (push). I get it on my phone a fraction of a second before gmail.com has a chance to refresh.
    12-21-08 04:54 PM
    IMAP is instantaneous as well (push). I get it on my phone a fraction of a second before gmail.com has a chance to refresh.
    Have you noticed that IMAP on GMail is slower these last few days?
    12-21-08 05:12 PM
    ya you know i just did it and i like it better. I previously had 2 comcast accounts on my storm. now i only have 1 vzw.blackberry account.

go onto prefrences on your comcast email and enable auto fowarding. and make sure you click keep local, which keeps the emails on your comcast account as well as forwards them

youll need to setup a vzw.blackberry account on the BIS website
    12-21-08 05:22 PM
    Have you noticed that IMAP on GMail is slower these last few days?
    I haven't paid much attention to it recently, but it's working fine for me right now. IMAP email is pushed instantaneously, and read sync from phone to gmail.com happens within 5 seconds.
    12-21-08 06:28 PM
    hmm...I wonder then ig RIM and Gmail are playing nice together? I know a few months ago this wasnt the case. I had setup my gmail using IMAP but then changed back to pop3 because I was experiencing a delay.

EDIT: just tried a test account with Gmail and there is still a delay with IMAP...so much for that idea.
    Last edited by shawn122; 12-21-08 at 06:56 PM.
    12-21-08 06:51 PM
    hmm...I wonder then ig RIM and Gmail are playing nice together? I know a few months ago this wasnt the case. I had setup my gmail using IMAP but then changed back to pop3 because I was experiencing a delay.

EDIT: just tried a test account with Gmail and there is still a delay with IMAP...so much for that idea.
    I have 0 delay with Gmail. I get the mail notification on my phone before the email displays on gmail.com. Perhaps there's something you're not configuring correctly in your settings?

BIS used to poll Gmail IMAP every 15 min, but that was a few months ago before IMAP-IDLE.
    12-21-08 07:39 PM
    If using Gmail set up using IMAP will emails read on the web be marked as read on the BB? What about mail read on the BB?

Thanks guys
    12-24-08 10:05 AM
    hey guys. im experiencing a good 10-15 minute delay between push of my gmail accounts that are set up via IMAP. what can i do to fix this?
    01-28-09 06:56 PM
    hey guys. im experiencing a good 10-15 minute delay between push of my gmail accounts that are set up via IMAP. what can i do to fix this?
    I'm having the same issue. I've had the phone about a month and for the first 2 weeks I got gmail nearly instantly, but in the past week or so it's been taking 10+ minutes. I haven't changed the firmware from 0.75 so that isn't it. I found some posts saying to re-register the host routing table but that didn't change anything and neither did a battery pull. I have an e-mail account with another provider that works perfectly.
    01-29-09 05:31 AM
    This is how it woks for me. I have a gmx email account. It takes about 2 to 15 minutes for new mails to arrive on my bb storm.
    I created a live.com account and let all my emails from gmx forward to my live.com account.
    Now when I get mails on my gmx they are instantly forwarded to live.com and I receive them INSTANTLY on my bb storm. For me it is a good solution to get emails at once. Although I get mails fast I still have to wait 2 to 15 min so that gmx pushes them on my bb in case I want to answer them. Actually not necessarily. The problem is, you can only respond to emails using the same address he email arrived on. However you can simply compose a new email to that person and choose one of your email addresses you have setup on your bb.

So this is it, with the forward method you get emails instantly but you can't respond to them since your address would be different, but you can compose a new mail to that person as a respond using the email you received their email on. I'm sure there are other providers besides live.com that work with this method, but I haven't tested others.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 06:40 AM
    Well, the thing is that a lot of recent posts around here suggest that people aren't seeing a delay in receiving gmail messages. Also the fact that I was receiving messages instantly until a week ago suggests this should be correctable on our part.
    01-29-09 07:45 AM
    Well, the thing is that a lot of recent posts around here suggest that people aren't seeing a delay in receiving gmail messages. Also the fact that I was receiving messages instantly until a week ago suggests this should be correctable on our part.
    exactly. as i read through the posts on this it made it seem as if i was an exception to the norm. so it appears as if there is something that can be adjusted to fix this. and get push of email back to normal.
    01-29-09 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD