On two occasions now, both prior and after upgrading the software on my 9520, the lower half of the handset has become very warm... when it does this the battery discharges fast... for instance, today, I took it off charge at 6.45am, by 8.00am, the hanset became very warm, by 10.00am 50% battery left!

Did a couple of battery pulls, and it cools down, and now has 45% left in 10 hours...

Why does it get warm, with little or no use, no applications running apart from the usual background applications... and looses 50% battery in less than 4 hours..

Stuart
    03-22-10 04:45 PM
    My storm II did that. I brought it back to Verizon and they replaced it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 05:39 PM
    The two probably go hand-in-hand. Mine has done this on a few rare occasions, and it's left me a bit baffled as well. Here's what I can tell you...

- If I had to guess, the process starts because an app goes "berzerk", and begins using an abnormal amount of processor resources (as if it's stuck in a constant "run" or "update" mode). It's hard to know for sure, because I've never been able to pin down what the cause is (anyone know of a good system monitor for BB?)

- Processor running = excessive heat and excessive strain on the battery, which explains the symptoms

- To only exacerbate the situation, the higher temp can have a generalized negative effect on battery life. (A cool battery is a happy battery).

Same as you, a battery pull has fixed it on the 2 or 3 occaisions this has happened to me, and I usually leave the battery out for a few minutes if possible to let everything cool down first. It was a bit unsettling though to pull my BB out in a public place with no possible place to charge, and notice that not only was it very hot, but I was also down to about 10% battery (when I was expecting 65-75%).
    03-22-10 05:49 PM
    I have a 9630, but I have been noticing the same thing. When the phone's running HOT the battery life plummets... I have recorded my Tour temps to be as high as 101degrees F. on occasion using the BatteryMonitor in FIXMOtools. :s

When it happens, the only thing I've found to cool it down is simply keeping my hands off it for a while. Sadly.

03-22-10 05:55 PM
    I just had my girlfriends curve 8530 do this and it finally fried the device to the point where you could not hold it anymore. It wouldnt charge and if I put a fresh battery in it would get very hot and drain the battery in minutes. VZW sent me a replacement one and its all good now. If its getting hot while just sitting there and your not using it I would call and get it replaced.
    03-22-10 07:10 PM
    Hi
    This also happened to me with my 9550. It turned out to be a new game app that I loaded. Once I deleted the app it never happened again.
    I hope this helps
    Joel

03-22-10 07:20 PM
    it happens to mine. But it happens only on certain os versions. Sometimes it would heat up as I would be browsing continuously . but a battery pull wouls solve that.

but since i am using tanks hybrid act 2. this rarely happens.
    03-22-10 10:54 PM
    Same here on my 9550. Happens about 2 times a week while i am asleep.

What could cause this?
    03-22-10 11:49 PM
    I still think that most of the time it is an app "gone berzerk" that causes this. I've had my S2 since launch, and I've only had this happen 3, maybe 4 times, so I'm not *too* concerned about it...but still a nuisance when it does occur.
    03-23-10 08:59 AM
    I have had that happen a couple of times and I have pinned it down to an app that I downloaded. the problem is figuring out which one . . .
    03-23-10 09:25 AM
    I have had that happen a couple of times and I have pinned it down to an app that I downloaded. the problem is figuring out which one . . .
    03-23-10 09:25 AM
    Well, you could always get into the Engineering Screen and monitor the battery statistics whenever it gets warm.

I've noticed that my battery consumes 3.7V most of the time, but at times it gets up to 4.0V, probably higher as I haven't looked into this much further. Don't know what could cause this, though if it was an app "gone berserk" I wonder how long it would take till components inside start frying.
    03-23-10 09:29 AM
    I've had the same problem, mine usually happens when using a GPs programme wouldn't say it got too hot to touch but still doesn't feel right! I thought it was the battery getting earn because it was discharging really fast but it is coming from underneath the battery near where the sim card is placed.

03-23-10 09:42 AM
    how can i get to the Engineering Screen?
    03-23-10 12:04 PM
    Well, you could always get into the Engineering Screen and monitor the battery statistics whenever it gets warm.

I've noticed that my battery consumes 3.7V most of the time, but at times it gets up to 4.0V, probably higher as I haven't looked into this much further. Don't know what could cause this, though if it was an app "gone berserk" I wonder how long it would take till components inside start frying.
    What I'd like to see while this is going on is what apps are consuming the most processor resources--that would be the most useful info.
    03-23-10 12:15 PM
    the battery like on my storm2 doesnt last near aslong as my bold 9700 why is that??is it because I leave my wifi on ???Im not 100%familar with this phone but I dont think theres anything running in the bak ground??
    Last edited by marbles67; 03-23-10 at 05:37 PM.
    03-23-10 05:35 PM
    tbh the bold seems better, its lighter smaller, and has a good battery life. all lacking by the storm2...
    03-23-10 05:36 PM
    the battery like on my storm2 doesnt last near aslong as my bold 9700 why is that??is it because I leave my wifi on ???Im not 100%familar with this phone but I dont think theres anything running in the bak ground??
    Leaving WIFI on isn't a big deal (especially if you're usually around a hotspot you connect to) from what I've found, but you may want to turn it off you know you're going not be using the connection for an extended period of time.

I would recommend not leaving bluetooth on all the time though -- that seems to drain my battery much faster when I leave it on.
    03-24-10 08:59 AM
    I noticed while playing music for just a short while the phone was getting really warm and the battery level seemed to be dropping rather fast. I removed the battery cover and have left it off while playing it for a couple of hours and the phone isn't even warm and the battery level hasn't dropped anyfurther. I just think the metal battery cover traps and conducts a lot of heat on this phone. Is there anyway to vent these things to allow heat to escape?
    07-17-10 10:12 AM
    I noticed while playing music for just a short while the phone was getting really warm and the battery level seemed to be dropping rather fast. I removed the battery cover and have left it off while playing it for a couple of hours and the phone isn't even warm and the battery level hasn't dropped anyfurther. I just think the metal battery cover traps and conducts a lot of heat on this phone. Is there anyway to vent these things to allow heat to escape?
    And let dirt and moisture in?
    07-17-10 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD