yes there is a problem, no its not distoring or is it blown. the speaker has debree in it. it enters through the fop slot on the phone. there is no filtering system from there to the speaker. i went through 5 s2s before getting pissed and tearing it apart. mine had so much metal particals stuck to it. there is no way to clean it because the metal is stuck to the speakers magnet force. i did finaly fix mine by take the speaker itself apart (very fragile) and removing the metal. i tried to tape off the slot but the speaker sounds terible.

if your cary your phone in your pocket or purse this will get you eventualy. every one that caries anything metal in your pocket the fine shavings will be there. mine was ten times worse because i am a metal fabricator but most everyone is around metal sometimes.

i really don't know a good fix other than good luck. i have e mailed blackberry direct to see if i get any help. verizon tech is a waste of good time.
    Wow nice investigative work. I have been VERY tempted to tear my first S2 apart to see what the problem was(havent sent it back yet). Perhaps if I do, I will use the digital microscope here at work to get some crisp clear pictures of what you're describing.

On a side note, I noticed today, something is rattling inside the refurbished phone. If I shake the phone it sounds like a tiny screw or plastic clip is loose inside the phone.
    01-15-10 03:09 PM
    mine died too, got a new one a few weeks ago. one afternoon it just sounded like a blown speaker. so no i had a 6 week old storm, 2 weeks past its you get a new one date . . and i get a refurb with screen problems. f vzw
    01-15-10 10:16 PM
    Another friend of mine had this same thing happen to him. It scares me that this problem seems unavoidable...I'm stuck with the Storm2 as that's what I choose when I renewed my contract.

I love the phone, but my gut feeling is that I'll be having it be replaced too often.

I agree that vzw's policy on phone replacement sucks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by 01Ranger; 01-17-10 at 12:13 AM.
    01-17-10 12:11 AM
    yes there is a problem, no its not distoring or is it blown. the speaker has debree in it. it enters through the fop slot on the phone. there is no filtering system from there to the speaker. i went through 5 s2s before getting pissed and tearing it apart. mine had so much metal particals stuck to it. there is no way to clean it because the metal is stuck to the speakers magnet force. i did finaly fix mine by take the speaker itself apart (very fragile) and removing the metal. i tried to tape off the slot but the speaker sounds terible.

if your cary your phone in your pocket or purse this will get you eventualy. every one that caries anything metal in your pocket the fine shavings will be there. mine was ten times worse because i am a metal fabricator but most everyone is around metal sometimes.

i really don't know a good fix other than good luck. i have e mailed blackberry direct to see if i get any help. verizon tech is a waste of good time.
    I just opened up my OtterBox Defender case and it has some type of tightly woven mesh tape over those openings. I know everyone doesn't want to get one of those cases, but if your in an area with a lot of metal shavings (like a fabricator), it might be a solution.
    01-25-10 12:37 PM
    Does anyone know how to take the piece of plastic off that covers the speaker? Does it snap on and off? If so, maybe gently blowing the speaker off with a can of air would do the trick.
    01-25-10 10:19 PM
    Wow, its like they're all going bad at the same time.... how long have you guys had your phones? I've had mine since Oct 30th.
    whatever day the Droid dropped is the day I got mine. i got my replacement phone, it's been fine so far.
    01-25-10 11:40 PM
    I got my S2 about a week after it came out and had no problems with it up until right before Christmas. Same speaker problems as everyone else is complaining about. Verizon sent out a replacement and it worked perfectly up until about a week ago. Just got my 3rd and it has a deep scratch on the glass over the camera! WTF!!! I give up. Love this phone, but the speaker problem is a deal breaker in my opinion. I am a new customer with Verizon. Can anyone tell me what I am in for here? Will they just keep sending replacements or try and trade me out to something else eventually? Thanks.
    01-26-10 12:07 AM

i'm a mechanic, my phone is either in my shirt pocket or upright in the corner of my toolbox
    01-26-10 12:37 AM
    I am having the same problem! I am on my 4th phone from Verzion. Is there a fix for this I don't think they will give me another one! please help!!
    01-27-10 09:45 PM
    4th phone here, same problem again. Seems that the small metal pieces get in from the top and cause the problem on mine too. I'm not sure what phone to try next, and really dont like the almost new replacement policy from verizon.
    01-27-10 09:59 PM
    I have had the Storm2 since the 27th and haven't had any problems with it, but since yesterday when I make or receive a phone call the handset speaker is very distorted almost like it has blown. Is anyone else having this issue or could it be a software issue?
    yup, my husbands did it AGAIN today...so we went up to the verizon wireless store...this will be his 3rd replacement... i've had to replace mine once too. its stupid. i wish they would just fix the problem.
    02-10-10 11:13 PM
    02-11-10 10:44 AM
    had my S2 for 7 weeks now and it just started the blown speaker sound. Never dropped or gotten wet. made in Mexico 5 also just like alot of the rest of them. talked to VZ and got another one coming. Its ashame 7 weeks old purchased new and now have to settle with refurbished. How do you get to the speaker on this thing? I see 2 small torx screws that could come out but not sure if that would allow me to get to the speaker.

Thanks ahead for any advise!
    02-27-10 04:59 PM
    I bought an otter box defender and so far so good on my 5th replacement! I was able to haggle a new phone after 3 bad referbs!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-10 06:10 PM
    annnnnnnnnnnd now lastnight i noticed the ear piece on my second S2 is getting fuzzy..
    04-16-10 10:55 AM
    ive had 3 go bad due to speaker and my fourth should be here any minute im keeoin my eye out for the fed ex guy lol and if this next one does it at al vzw is either payin my next bil or givein my the tour or droid but i love my storm and id hat to see it go but this is getting rediculous
    04-16-10 12:32 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD