So I thought the title of this thread might get some attention. Here's the issue.

I've only had my storm for a few days now but I'm getting consistent feedback that I sound muffled, or, as the title says "It sounds like you have a bag over your head!".

I have seen other posts mentioning this and was wondering what you've done to minimize the muffle?

Thanks in advance!

Jay
    05-18-09 02:06 PM
    Take your head out of the bag????

But seriously what OS are you on?
    05-18-09 02:07 PM
    05-18-09 02:09 PM
    Hmmmm......have you tried one of the new hybrids???? 141/5.0 works great for me
    05-18-09 02:11 PM
    can't answer honestly. I rarely hold the phone to my head.

I use bt most time and speakerphone the rest. Call clarity on both is excellent to the point I got cussed out by my supervisor on speaker in front of customers because he didn't know.

Might look into the enhance audio settings in the phone app
    05-18-09 02:12 PM
    sounds like a faulty device. There are audio enhancements in the phone but it shouldnt make it sound like that. Where are your phone made and how much service do you have when you are making these calls?
    05-18-09 02:46 PM
    Experiment w/phone > menu > options > general options > default call volume & enhance handset call audio + volume key on device.

Worked 4 me.
    05-18-09 02:53 PM
    May not be the issue but be careful in how you are holding the phone. The mic is in an awkward location and could be covered or blocked easily

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 02:53 PM
    May not be the issue but be careful in how you are holding the phone. The mic is in an awkward location and could be covered or blocked easily

I was going to say the same thing. It sounds obvious, but make sure you are not accidentally covering the mic with a finger.
    05-18-09 02:55 PM
    Take the phone out of you're throat

05-18-09 02:55 PM
    Ok, first of all, thanks for the idea everyone.

A few quick things (and I'm surprised no one asked this!!): I am going commando right now - no skins or cases - riding bareback!

Looked to make sure there is no lint in the BB belly button (microphone) either.

Tried adjusting the audio settings to treble boost, etc. and I'll see if that makes a difference.

Usually have pretty decent signal 3+ bars for the calls when I've noticed it.

Finger is not covering the microphone, tried right and left handed, had phone to mouth and throat - I think I'll have to see how the audio adjustments work.

I may try the new hybrid here pretty soon. Just concerned b/c I had heard a few issues with it so I went with .132 as it had so many good reports and acceptance by other vendors.

Thanks again and I'll report back if I find these intereventions worked (or not).

Jay
    05-19-09 05:18 AM
    I don't remember anyone mentioning changes in microphone fidelity as a result of any of the OS upgrades. Some (most?) are worth it, but don't expect them to resolve this issue.
    05-19-09 05:24 AM
    I have the problem where if i hold the phone more then 3" from my mouth i sound all garbled. My GF can never hear me unless i put the mouthpiece/mic like right on top of my mouth (which makes it impossible to hear out of the earpiece). Bluetooth, no issue, no issue in speakerphone either. Only when using phone as a phone and holding to ear.

So try holding the phone closer to your mouth and see what happens. 2-3" makes a world of difference. I usually use speakerphone or BT cause of this issue
    05-19-09 05:34 AM
    Face it, this device sucks when it comes to mic quality. I have had 3 now and none of them have been good.
    I use BT mostly and that is better but still not as good as it was with my previous phone.

05-19-09 06:02 AM
    Luckily I use my BT hansfree built into my car and that works great. On the handset though, I tried a few things today and got some feedback regarding improved sound for the person on the other end.

Moving closer to my mouth definitely helped. Also, if I hold the phone with my hand cupped around the bottom of the phone I think the sound reflects into the mic a little bit better.

I also have to stand on my head and dangle an aluminum foil wrapped coat hanger from one foot while pointing to the sun so the caller can hear me too.

Either way - just trying to figure out how to get the best sound.

I also found the audio pretty muffled from the earpiece and using some of your ideas I did the treble boost and that seemed to help a lot with the speaker clarity so thanks for that!

Jay
    05-19-09 01:15 PM
    Thanks 4 letting us know results.
    05-19-09 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD