Now, let me first start by saying I love pretty much every single aspect of .85

There are just a few specific problems that I've found with the OS that I consider totally unacceptable and warrant me going back to an OS version that isn't as fast as this one is.

My first issue - It's probably been running for 24 or even 48 hours and out of nowhere an issue shows up as enough time passes. The backlight will never dim no matter what until it kills your battery.

My second issue - Yet again, this is an issue that shows up after it's been on for 24 to 48 hours. Media Player error. Suddenly it no longer reacts to a light tap of the screen and it doesn't respond quickly to your pressing the menu button and it takes a while to come in and out of videos.

My third issue - Another issue after it's been on for 24-48 hours. This is a trend. It will no longer have a quick response to the phone's position being changed. As a matter of fact, the response becomes terrible.

My fourth issue - Yet again after 24-48 hours. One of the 3 issues I listed up top show up and you are absolutely incapable of shutting the phone down unless I use soft reset or battery pull.

Incredible OS version with tons of fantastic improvements, but after enough use it goes bad. This isn't the type of thing you expect from a device you rely on once you start using it enough.

I've recently started using the Storm for pretty much everything and these issues are unacceptable for a device you expect to be reliable. So I'll sacrifice performance for reliability by going back to .75. 1 or 2 more OS versions and things should be much better. They are very close to getting there and they've been really assertive in putting out new versions so you gotta give them the utmost credit for that.
    01-01-09 05:27 AM
    I have had the same exeperiences with the last three of the issues you described above. Pretty frustrating for a device that you would like to be able to rely on,especiallyin an emergency.
    01-01-09 05:37 AM
    I really thought they nailed it with .85 too.

Then again, it's not like it was an official release or anything so, for all I know, the problems might be fixed when they do have something official out.
    01-01-09 06:04 AM
    I do a softreset every night when I go to bed to avoid some of these issues. I am hoping to avoid that in future release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 06:39 AM
    Im currently installing .85 on my replacement phone, last one was running it and i had same issues and then some, I am hoping that it was just that my other phone was completely messed up and the new one will take a bit better as I have also heard of a lot of pepole having good luck with the update, will see in about 15 min or so I guess.
    01-01-09 07:40 AM
    I do a softreset every night when I go to bed to avoid some of these issues. I am hoping to avoid that in future release.

That's funny. I do the same thing. I'd prefer not to, but figure what's the harm right. And I have a perfectly smooth Storm in the morning

01-01-09 08:18 AM
    The lock up thing problem with the media card and Verizon logo getting stuck and not knowing how many times you'll have to battery pull it until it will actually load up to working condition again did it for me... Never mind any other problems. That was a stick with .76 dealbreaker for me.
    01-01-09 01:32 PM
    I'm in the same boat....as everyone here.
    01-01-09 01:47 PM
    .85 is snappier but not as stable as previous OSs.

01-01-09 01:51 PM
    I hate .85, someone tell me how to get rid of it please.
    Thanks
    01-01-09 01:59 PM
    Im still running the official .75 and havent really ran into problems. It runs pretty snappy already. At least they shipped most of them with this OS. But I can see how being snappier will improve the OS. Its not that bad though.
    01-01-09 02:08 PM
    does anyone have instructions on getting rid of .85 and back to the backed up version of .75?
    01-01-09 03:36 PM
    Im still running the official .75 and havent really ran into problems. It runs pretty snappy already. At least they shipped most of them with this OS. But I can see how being snappier will improve the OS. Its not that bad though.
    yepppp .75 is the **** man love it
    01-01-09 03:44 PM
    I had that same problem with the backlight after about 24 hours, but after a battery pull it has not yet returned (it's been about 4 days now).
    01-01-09 09:38 PM
    I have the same issues. I was beginning to wonder if anyone else was having them as well. .83 is by far the best considering that the issues with .85 aren't confined to just my handset.
    01-01-09 09:51 PM
    I have a few problems with the .85 that i noticed.

1st The device will sometimes lock up while using the BBM

2nd I made a phone call the other day and the person on the other side could not hear anything i was saying, and the phone definitely was not muted.

3rd I noticed that too about the backlight not going down until i did a battery pull after that the screen went dim.

One other thing I noticed I don't know if its an issue or a fix but when the screen goes dim you have to press it twice in order for the screen to come back on, or you can hit anyone of the 4 buttons on the phone.

It does seem that after a long amount of use is when the problems start to occur. The .85 is definitely faster and i have not got any device errors since I upgraded from the .75, only random lock ups.
    Last edited by Billy23; 01-01-09 at 10:01 PM.
    01-01-09 09:53 PM
    When is the official OS update release date? Because I have a mac and someone told me that I can't get the leaked software because it work on mac

01-02-09 12:30 AM
    does anyone have instructions on getting rid of .85 and back to the backed up version of .75?
    Use the desktop manager software. When you have it installed, click the Application Loader. Then on the right side you'll see "Update Software"

Click the Start button underneath that and they'll show you that you have a choice of downgrading to the preferred Operating System for the Storm, which is .75

Fairly easy and headache free process.
    01-02-09 07:56 AM
    just do exactly what you did to install .85, but instead use .75
    01-02-09 08:00 AM
    I have a few problems with the .85 that i noticed.

1st The device will sometimes lock up while using the BBM

2nd I made a phone call the other day and the person on the other side could not hear anything i was saying, and the phone definitely was not muted.

3rd I noticed that too about the backlight not going down until i did a battery pull after that the screen went dim.

One other thing I noticed I don't know if its an issue or a fix but when the screen goes dim you have to press it twice in order for the screen to come back on, or you can hit anyone of the 4 buttons on the phone.

It does seem that after a long amount of use is when the problems start to occur. The .85 is definitely faster and i have not got any device errors since I upgraded from the .75, only random lock ups.
    i agree with this, after extended use, you get the issues. mine has started randomly locking up on me. first OS on my storm that has done so.
    01-02-09 08:01 AM
    GIVE IT TIME! The os needs to break in and all of the issues you speak of sound like thats the issue for the first 3 days you need to due a battery pull every now and then ~12hours.

The hardware takes a bit to settle in with the new software.

Patience will be rewarded.

That being said though, did you do a JM_Cinder wipe before loading the new OS? It helps ALOT!
    01-02-09 12:36 PM
    Issues ive had

clean installed with JL_cmdr to .85 on BES
    Installed since a day after .85 came out.

1. Transitioning from portrait to landscape has not been better for me
    2. I still get the media card inserted VZW logo splash bug
    3. "new one" When i opened yahoo messenger then went into landscape mode my freaking screen dimmed to almost black! My screen brightness was somehow controlled by my accelerometer! as i went back to portrait it would get brighter. The fix, there is none except battery pull and pray it goes back to normal as it did for me after a few battery pulls.
    .(I fully uninstalled yahoo messenger and the issue went away and i have not yet installed it back on because i dont want to deal with it right now as im travelling) =P
    4. Portrait to landscape in txt or email was slow
    I personally liked .83 the best besides the media card bug thats the only issue i had and it was very fast for me. I will be downgrading to .83 until the next beta\official OS comes out.

My opinion do not install .85
    Last edited by svclee; 01-02-09 at 02:45 PM.
    01-02-09 02:39 PM
    I agree, ive seen more bugs with .85 than any builds to date. Definetly going back to .83, and i was so happy when i saw the leak...lol
    01-02-09 07:13 PM
    what is a JL_cmdr wipe?
    01-02-09 07:54 PM
    I�ve had my Storm for just over 2wks. Absolutely love the phone. I was lucky, right out of the box my phone worked great. Have been reading ALL the talk about pros and cons after installing leaked OS .85. Tried it, hate it!! Had no problem with my phone till I installed .85 last week. Only difference I noticed with .85 compared to .75 was slightly faster overall speed. My storm worked great for 13 hrs with .85, then all Hel broke loose, not to mention it�s a battery hog. Had to keep pulling battery to get it to work until finally the crash of death. Battery pulls did nothing to help at that point. Reloaded version .75 and all is back to normal again and working fantastic. I�m sticking with .75 until Verizon releases an update.
    01-02-09 08:19 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD