I am curious as to their customer service - I am on my third handset of the Storm, the first suffering a complete meltdown and the second having irreparable alarm errors and a misaligned type screen. I recently wrote a letter to Michael Lazaridis and RIM, but it's been several weeks and I haven't heard so much as a peep back.

Has anyone tried to resolve their Storm issues directly with RIM? Any response?

03-25-09 06:17 PM
    Yo,

They are a BIGGGGG Corporation, they probably just dumped your letter in the recycle bin or got shredded. They only talk to the important people.
    03-25-09 06:20 PM
    Back when I "Did" own the Storm I sent an email and got back the normal auto email reply..... Which is I'm sure what other have got in the email world. But I have never got a written letter nor have I wrote one......

Good luck.....
    03-25-09 06:20 PM
    This is gonna sound like a stupid question but it is one that needs to be asked..are you sure that you sent it to the right address? :X

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 06:30 PM
    LOL. RIM will not respond to you, personally.

You'll get the automated response.
    03-26-09 12:53 AM
    So when's the last time you got a personal response out of any large company? Assuming you're not a member of the press or some VIP customer who spends tens of thousands to millions of dollars a year on products from that company.

I don't know why it is people seem to think they're entitled to anything. Microsoft, Apple, Palm (before they were betting the farm on the Pre and needed all the publicity they can get), Symbian, Nokia, Google, HTC... None of these companies are exactly forthcoming about what they're doing in terms of software updates. They will dole out carefully controlled bits of information at pre-determined dates and times, delivered in a totally scripted fashion. They don't just blab about things because you send them an email.

I just do not understand the thought process on some people. The arrogance required to think that YOU, of all the people in the world, somehow deserve a personal response about this sort of thing... It just baffles me so completely.
    03-26-09 08:31 AM
    I just do not understand the thought process on some people. The arrogance required to think that YOU, of all the people in the world, somehow deserve a personal response about this sort of thing... It just baffles me so completely.
    yeah i mean, to expect customer service from a service provider! THE UNMITIGATED GALL!
    03-26-09 10:00 AM
    yeah i mean, to expect customer service from a service provider! THE UNMITIGATED GALL!
    That would be your carrier, not RIM. Do you blame Sony because you forget to pay your cable bill and your Bravia TV won't let you watch cable TV anymore?
    03-26-09 10:30 AM
    I felt bad for the OP not getting a response that I took it upon myself to email them a scathing letter. Much to my surprise I did receive a response.

Here it is

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for contacting our company and we apologize for any inconvenience we have caused you.

Please be aware that in the fast moving and ever changing smartphone market things of this nature happen. We put out the best possible product within self imposed time frames and unfortunately for you, quality suffers.

In closing, as you may or may not know we have entered a new era here at RIM. We have entered an exciting era where buggy software is now the new reality.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Jim Ballsillie
    CEO, RIM

03-26-09 10:58 AM
    That would be your carrier, not RIM. Do you blame Sony because you forget to pay your cable bill and your Bravia TV won't let you watch cable TV anymore?
    no.. you wouldnt... because the bravia tv is working... but Jakeh0 has a good point.. i wouldnt try to put him down.. you didnt really make any sense. This person is not trying to blame rim because their verizon service is not working. They are complaining to rim because their product (phone) isnt working correctly. for instance, Do you blame your cable company because your sony bravia tv is broken?

I have a storm and absolutely love it.. but Dont you think that RIM should take some of the guilt here too. i mean... their name is on it too.

Im sure everyone would like great customer service... no matter the size of the company, or how many employees they have...
    Last edited by SenorStorm; 03-27-09 at 02:30 AM.
    03-27-09 02:26 AM
    no.. you wouldnt... because the bravia tv is working... but Jakeh0 has a good point.. i wouldnt try to put him down.. you didnt really make any sense. This person is not trying to blame rim because their verizon service is not working. They are complaining to rim because their product (phone) isnt working correctly. for instance, Do you blame your cable company because your sony bravia tv is broken?

I have a storm and absolutely love it.. but Dont you think that RIM should take some of the guilt here too. i mean... their name is on it too.

Im sure everyone would like great customer service... no matter the size of the company, or how many employees they have...

Customer service is important to a company's public image because if numerous complaints do end up going unanswered then they will start losing customers and those lost customers do talk and word of mouth is crucial in determining a company's success.
    And honestly, I don't think that you need to remind us of who is or isn't to blame here. bigman2's comment was kinda misguided but I think that most of us could have decifered that without your help...
    I for one, applaud his efforts in attempting to voice his comments to RIM.
    03-29-09 01:36 AM

The problem here is, is that as far as RIM is concerned, there is no major issue with the Storm. It's one of their best selling devices ever. And the things people tend to complain about are really pretty bloody stupid when you get down to it. Oh gnoes! It doesn't have a bunch of little animations that do nothing but amuse the simple minded! Whatever will we do? I can understand the issues with build quality on some of the early models, but it's an ongoing process to refine the manufacturing process for any new device.

My guess would be that there's some poor intern type person who gets special filing duty in the mail room. They get to read all these letters, and file most of them away in their special low-profile circular filing cabinet (trash can).
    03-29-09 07:24 AM
    The problem here is, is that as far as RIM is concerned, there is no major issue with the Storm. It's one of their best selling devices ever. .
    are you kidding me? I can't believe you just wrote that.

If RIM does not recognize there is a major issue with the Storm that means 3 things.

#1 There's absolutely NO communication between the carriers and RIM.

#2 They (RIM) operate in a bubble.

#3 Storm owners are forever stuck with a glitchy, buggy, and clunky phone.

Maybe you are right though. Maybe that's the reason why nothing stable/reliable and "bug free" has been released.

03-29-09 01:38 PM
    are you kidding me? I can't believe you just wrote that.
    Nope... I just live in the real world... Not some fantasy land where everything centers around me.

If RIM does not recognize there is a major issue with the Storm that means 3 things.
    This aught to be good.

#1 There's absolutely NO communication between the carriers and RIM.
    And what, pray tell, do you have to support this?

#2 They (RIM) operate in a bubble.
    See above.

#3 Storm owners are forever stuck with a glitchy, buggy, and clunky phone.
    Maybe in your opinion, but not necessarily the opinion of everyone else. Like I already alluded to... The world does not revolve around you. Your opinion is not scripture. You are about as important in the grand scheme of things as a bug that might be splattered on my windshield.

Maybe you are right though. Maybe that's the reason why nothing stable/reliable and "bug free" has been released.
    "bug free" is a pipe dream. That's just the reality. People want software that's more and more complex, and they don't want to wait for the necessary time it takes to debug these things. So, you can either write your own software, at which point you have only yourself to blame for any bugs that result... Or you can join the rest of us in reality, and accept that bug free software doesn't exist. Never has, and probably never will within our lifetimes. It's not like software was magically better 10-20 years ago, it just sucked in different ways compared to how software sucks today. But there were bugs then, just like there are bugs now.

Even the hallowed Jesus Phone had/has bugs... How do you think people managed to create all those jailbrake programs for it? They didn't just magically appear because people wanted it real bad, and thought lots of happy thoughts.
    03-29-09 05:28 PM
    I'm aware nothing is bug free. That is why I put it in quotes.

The question is what defines "bug free." My definition would be one or 2 non-intrusive problems/issues.

For example my Curve has the speaker phone blast bug. Does it effect the overall usability of the phone or slow down productivity? Ofcourse not. Does it cause erratic behavior and/or instability in the device? No. Do I wish it would go away? Yes. But at the end of the day its really not that big of a deal.

These types of bugs are acceptable to most people. Thus "bug free"

*edit: to address your other question about proof to support what I said. Those were not posted to dispute. They were posted to show you how ludicrous your statement is that as far as RIM is concerened there is no problem.

You think all these leaks are out there because they have nothing better to do?

"Hey Jim we're bored"

"Well do something then!"

"Like what?"

"How about build some betas or something for the Storm"

"But its a huge success!!"

"I don't know what to tell you then"

"Well ok...we'll just do that then. Thanks Jim"

"Hey Jim"

"What now!!"

"What will we do since its already running great?"

"****tt I don't know. Throw some go buttons on the browser or something!!"

"Oh yeah! Great idea! Thanks again Jim"

Last edited by cereal killer; 03-29-09 at 06:04 PM.
    03-29-09 05:51 PM
    The problem here is, is that as far as RIM is concerned, there is no major issue with the Storm. It's one of their best selling devices ever. And the things people tend to complain about are really pretty bloody stupid when you get down to it. Oh gnoes! It doesn't have a bunch of little animations that do nothing but amuse the simple minded! Whatever will we do? I can understand the issues with build quality on some of the early models, but it's an ongoing process to refine the manufacturing process for any new device.

My guess would be that there's some poor intern type person who gets special filing duty in the mail room. They get to read all these letters, and file most of them away in their special low-profile circular filing cabinet (trash can).
    You would be very wrong on this point. RIM knows the Storm has its issues from what i've heard would love just be rid of it so they can move on. All least we know they are indeed working hard to fix the Storm.
    03-29-09 05:59 PM
    You would be very wrong on this point. RIM knows the Storm has its issues from what i've heard would love just be rid of it so they can move on. All least we know they are indeed working hard to fix the Storm.
    I hope that they don't spend too much time on it. I hope they can get it worked out soon, and start producing it. I know I would pick one up, especially if I can get a deal. And don't make it push other projects back more.
    03-29-09 08:03 PM
    But nothing complained about here is what you would call a major issue. Build quality will improve as the manufacturing process is refined, and aside from being a bit sluggish, there's really nothing seriously wrong with the two official OS releases. Just because they may not live up to YOUR expectations doesn't mean that they aren't perfectly acceptable to plenty of other people.

Some people here seem to have a real problem seeing past their own egos they can't tell the forest from the trees. And they have absolutely no concept of the business side of things. They just whine like spoiled little children at any and every tiny little slight. And then you get some people who seem to have nothing better to do than to hang around and talk about some device they've never even owned, which might not be so bad if they didn't make a complete arse of themselves in the process, and create like 4-5 fake accounts just to increase the troll count. What they hope to accomplish is anyone's guess. I guess mommy never loved them or they have a tiny pen!s and feel they need to try and make up for it in other ways. You can always spot these people, because they're the ones driving the big *** pickup trucks, or have a really loud stereo system. There are plenty of other ways to spot these people a mile off, but another time and another place maybe.

Point is... All you see is people complaining. Let's say you buy something, it works exactly as you expected... No better, no worse. Completely satisfactory in every way, but not extraordinary enough to elicit strong feelings for or against. Or maybe it exceeds expectations, but not by a large margin. How likely are you to go post something on a forum, such as this, saying as much? Not very bloody likely are you?

There's a growing sense of narcissism in people these days. Everything has to be about them. It's just "me me me" all day long. You know, "How dare that employee at the greasy burger place not let me short them a dollar on my greasy hamburger! I should sue!" That seriously is the kind of mindset people seem to have here. Just "me me me me me me me me me me me" and everyone else is on this planet simply to amuse and/or serve me in some way.

I'd love to have an app that would let me control some kind of mechanism that would beat the sh!t out of forum trolls at the press of a button, and maybe activate a web cam so I can watch the thrashing live. Such an app doesn't (currently) exist, but you don't see me whining incessantly about it. I know it's probably a pipe dream, but it's a little fantasy I like to keep, just because the idea amuses me. But then I don't think the world revolves around me. What a boring place that would be to live in.
    03-29-09 08:46 PM
    But nothing complained about here is what you would call a major issue. Build quality will improve as the manufacturing process is refined, and aside from being a bit sluggish, there's really nothing seriously wrong with the two official OS releases. Just because they may not live up to YOUR expectations doesn't mean that they aren't perfectly acceptable to plenty of other people.

Some people here seem to have a real problem seeing past their own egos they can't tell the forest from the trees. And they have absolutely no concept of the business side of things. They just whine like spoiled little children at any and every tiny little slight. And then you get some people who seem to have nothing better to do than to hang around and talk about some device they've never even owned, which might not be so bad if they didn't make a complete arse of themselves in the process, and create like 4-5 fake accounts just to increase the troll count. What they hope to accomplish is anyone's guess. I guess mommy never loved them or they have a tiny pen!s and feel they need to try and make up for it in other ways. You can always spot these people, because they're the ones driving the big *** pickup trucks, or have a really loud stereo system. There are plenty of other ways to spot these people a mile off, but another time and another place maybe.

Point is... All you see is people complaining. Let's say you buy something, it works exactly as you expected... No better, no worse. Completely satisfactory in every way, but not extraordinary enough to elicit strong feelings for or against. Or maybe it exceeds expectations, but not by a large margin. How likely are you to go post something on a forum, such as this, saying as much? Not very bloody likely are you?

There's a growing sense of narcissism in people these days. Everything has to be about them. It's just "me me me" all day long. You know, "How dare that employee at the greasy burger place not let me short them a dollar on my greasy hamburger! I should sue!" That seriously is the kind of mindset people seem to have here. Just "me me me me me me me me me me me" and everyone else is on this planet simply to amuse and/or serve me in some way.

I'd love to have an app that would let me control some kind of mechanism that would beat the sh!t out of forum trolls at the press of a button, and maybe activate a web cam so I can watch the thrashing live. Such an app doesn't (currently) exist, but you don't see me whining incessantly about it. I know it's probably a pipe dream, but it's a little fantasy I like to keep, just because the idea amuses me. But then I don't think the world revolves around me. What a boring place that would be to live in.
    I don't know what .65 and .75 you have running on your phone but it's not the .76 i have running. I like .76 over the betas because i don't have any data connection issues or memory leaks and its not that much slower than the betas. I expect the Storm to perform like my 8900 and Bold did. Not full of bugs that make the phone inoperable.
    03-29-09 09:28 PM
    you have to take whatever you've heard with a bucket of salt. there may be people within rim that aren't enamored with the storm, just as some may be fed up with the niagara right now, but that doesn't mean it reflects the company's stance on the product line. if the decision makers are committed to a plan the employees do as told, quit, or get fired.

are you one of the users here who can't or won't acknowledge that the storm can work as expected with the available os leaks, even if it is slower than other bbs?

an official os that pulls it all together would do the phone justice. users on this very web site have been able to take what's available via the beta leaks and make the storm stable, reliable, and faster. what's confusing and annoying is if we can do it, then why hasn't vzw/rim provided and official os that can do the same? it's proven to be possible, so why hasn't it been officially done yet? that's the question vzw/rim should answer to their customers.

if an official os release that pulls it all together is to be released in a few days, then the next question will be why did it take so long? especially if it's an os that's already been leaked (hopefully not). it can't be that they're being overly cautious, i mean look at the state they released the phone in to begin with! lol. either someone is dragging their feet or they're really trying to make an impact and create a boost right before app world...
    03-29-09 11:29 PM
    you have to take whatever you've heard with a bucket of salt. there may be people within rim that aren't enamored with the storm, just as some may be fed up with the niagara right now, but that doesn't mean it reflects the company's stance on the product line. if the decision makers are committed to a plan the employees do as told, quit, or get fired.

are you one of the users here who can't or won't acknowledge that the storm can work as expected with the available os leaks, even if it is slower than other bbs?

an official os that pulls it all together would do the phone justice. users on this very web site have been able to take what's available via the beta leaks and make the storm stable, reliable, and faster. what's confusing and annoying is if we can do it, then why hasn't vzw/rim provided and official os that can do the same? it's proven to be possible, so why hasn't it been officially done yet? that's the question vzw/rim should answer to their customers.

if an official os release that pulls it all together is to be released in a few days, then the next question will be why did it take so long? especially if it's an os that's already been leaked (hopefully not). it can't be that they're being overly cautious, i mean look at the state they released the phone in to begin with! lol. either someone is dragging their feet or they're really trying to make an impact and create a boost right before app world...
    I expect my Storm to be as reliable as any other BB i've owned. 8100, 8320, 9000 and 8900. The 8900 and 9000 blow away the Storm. I've tried betas, my own hybrids and the Storm still can't hold a candle to them. I don't know about you but i don't expect the Storm to be half as slow as the 8900, while being twice as buggy. I think my "problem" is the fact i have another BB to compare the Storm to and the Storm doesn't cut it performance wise. If the Storm performed just like the 8900 i would be happy and just sell the 8900 but alas thats not an option for me right now.
    03-29-09 11:47 PM
    Just to clarify, on .75, what bugs exist that need to be resolved? I don't notice any from my usage.

03-30-09 12:18 AM
    I expect my Storm to be as reliable as any other BB i've owned. 8100, 8320, 9000 and 8900. The 8900 and 9000 blow away the Storm. I've tried betas, my own hybrids and the Storm still can't hold a candle to them. I don't know about you but i don't expect the Storm to be half as slow as the 8900, while being twice as buggy. I think my "problem" is the fact i have another BB to compare the Storm to and the Storm doesn't cut it performance wise. If the Storm performed just like the 8900 i would be happy and just sell the 8900 but alas thats not an option for me right now.
    lol. you bolded the question, but still didn't answer it...

anyway, the storm is not the fastest bb i've owned. i also currently own a curve and an 8820. i've upgraded through pretty much every bb model released in the past 5 years.

i can say, at this point, my storm is just as stable and reliable as my curve is. it required a few tweaks, but all i wanted was to be free of the frequent (daily) random reboots and lock ups that required a battery pull. now i have a storm that doesn't reset itself unless i pull the battery. it doesn't lock up and it doesn't "lag". the only thing i would change is camera speed and color depth on the os icons and screens. those are minor enough to consider the phone "bug free" for me.

and i get lots of emails, txts, make phone calls, surf, take pics and vids, etc. i basically use all the functions it's currently capable of except for tethering.

speed is not the question, i could care less if the storm completed a task .3 seconds slower than my curve would. when i'm using the storm i don't feel like i'm dragging behind in getting stuff done or like i need to take a bathroom break while waiting for it to do something. and alternately, when i use the curve i don't feel like someone put a turbo in my bb.

so, why is it so hard for you guys, the ones who might still be having problems, to acknowledge that the storm is working well for others?
    03-30-09 12:30 AM

so, why is it so hard for you guys, the ones who might still be having problems, to acknowledge that the storm is working well for others?
    From what I can gather no one is having a problem acknowledging that the Storm works well for others. What they are pointing out is that it's not working well for them. And at the end of the day that's what's most important to them. When I buy a piece of technology I don't care if Tom, **** and Harry have no issues with theirs. If mine isn't working as advertised I'm going to ***** & moan. I have a Storm and I love it for the most part. But the fact of the matter is that it doesn't work as advertised and that is a problem. I also own a 1st and 2nd gen iPhone which also didn't work as advertised but Apple/AT&T relatively quickly issued fixes. RIM/Verizon need to get on the ball and fix the Storm. I've had more than 1 incident where I couldn't answer my Storm or make calls because that blasted spinning clock was doing whatever the **** it was doing. 1 of those times was an emergency where I had just witnessed a car wreck and was trying to call 911! I consider that a problem which RIM needs to fix. You may not have that issue and thus don't see it as a problem. Does that make it less important? To you maybe. But to those with the problem it's something that needs to be addressed! We all purchased our phones because of features promised by RIM. We deserve a phone that gives us those features and to have issues with those features solved so that we can enjoy our purchase. I'm sure we can all agree that that's in the best interest of RIM/Verizon and their customers....
    Last edited by cj100570; 03-30-09 at 12:54 AM.
    03-30-09 12:50 AM
    lol. you bolded the question, but still didn't answer it...

anyway, the storm is not the fastest bb i've owned. i also currently own a curve and an 8820. i've upgraded through pretty much every bb model released in the past 5 years.

i can say, at this point, my storm is just as stable and reliable as my curve is. it required a few tweaks, but all i wanted was to be free of the frequent (daily) random reboots and lock ups that required a battery pull. now i have a storm that doesn't reset itself unless i pull the battery. it doesn't lock up and it doesn't "lag". the only thing i would change is camera speed and color depth on the os icons and screens. those are minor enough to consider the phone "bug free" for me.

and i get lots of emails, txts, make phone calls, surf, take pics and vids, etc. i basically use all the functions it's currently capable of except for tethering.

speed is not the question, i could care less if the storm completed a task .3 seconds slower than my curve would. when i'm using the storm i don't feel like i'm dragging behind in getting stuff done or like i need to take a bathroom break while waiting for it to do something. and alternately, when i use the curve i don't feel like someone put a turbo in my bb.

I never said it was not working well for others however we all have different standards. Well standards is not the exact word i'm looking for......... expectations is more like it. Now if I was the only person i knew with problem then i could say its maybe my unit. I know 5 guys with Storms locally and guess what? They all have the same problems as i do. Reboots, freezes and over all 'lag'. Your "working well" could very well be my "buggy"
    03-30-09 12:59 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD