Hi All,

I entered the world of BB in July by getting a Verizon Curve and had no real issues with it, other than the fact that I travel to Asia frequently and having a phone that doesn't work in Hong Kong is a little bit of a bummer. I live in Vermont and our cell phone options here have been somewhat limited, but now AT&T is finally coming into the area so I was given a free iphone. After much thought, I gave that away and was able to wrangle a deal at my Verizon store and walk away with a new Storm (I signed up for a family plan, adding another line to my plan for an additional $10 a month, getting another 150 minutes per month to "share". my old motorola q gets the new number but I won't use that phone I'll just use all of the minutes on my number).

Anyway, I got the Storm yesterday and trying to get used to it! So far my biggest problem is talking on the phone. I've yet to talk to someone without my cheek hitting the mute button. That's happened on 5 phone calls thus far. I'm hoping to figure out a way to stop that from happening because it is definitely annoying. I've also put it on speakerphone that way and also hit the flash button that same way. Annoying! But definitely my fault. I don't have especially large cheeks though!

I was a bit leary of the typing situation, but I'm a woman with normal to small hands/fingers so I have no problem hitting the correct letters. I cannot for the life of me type in portrait mode, but I don't think I'll mess with that at all anyway. Additionally, I love, love, love the Visual Voicemail feature. I'm getting it free for a month but can see myself keeping it.

That's it for now ... my first impression after less than 24 hours of ownership. I use it for email, but more for reading and reacting and less for drafting. I'll be sure to put it through its paces in the 30 day period to make sure it is the phone for me. If not, I was not necessarily unhappy with the Curve. I'm a sucker for shiny new toys!
    01-09-09 06:31 AM
    Hi All,

I entered the world of BB in July by getting a Verizon Curve and had no real issues with it, other than the fact that I travel to Asia frequently and having a phone that doesn't work in Hong Kong is a little bit of a bummer. I live in Vermont and our cell phone options here have been somewhat limited, but now AT&T is finally coming into the area so I was given a free iphone. After much thought, I gave that away and was able to wrangle a deal at my Verizon store and walk away with a new Storm (I signed up for a family plan, adding another line to my plan for an additional $10 a month, getting another 150 minutes per month to "share". my old motorola q gets the new number but I won't use that phone I'll just use all of the minutes on my number).

Anyway, I got the Storm yesterday and trying to get used to it! So far my biggest problem is talking on the phone. I've yet to talk to someone without my cheek hitting the mute button. That's happened on 5 phone calls thus far. I'm hoping to figure out a way to stop that from happening because it is definitely annoying. I've also put it on speakerphone that way and also hit the flash button that same way. Annoying! But definitely my fault. I don't have especially large cheeks though!

I was a bit leary of the typing situation, but I'm a woman with normal to small hands/fingers so I have no problem hitting the correct letters. I cannot for the life of me type in portrait mode, but I don't think I'll mess with that at all anyway. Additionally, I love, love, love the Visual Voicemail feature. I'm getting it free for a month but can see myself keeping it.

That's it for now ... my first impression after less than 24 hours of ownership. I use it for email, but more for reading and reacting and less for drafting. I'll be sure to put it through its paces in the 30 day period to make sure it is the phone for me. If not, I was not necessarily unhappy with the Curve. I'm a sucker for shiny new toys!
    Do a search for the mute issue. I think there is an app for the storm called either stormlock or phonelock. Its resolves that issue very easily. Enjoy your new toy!
    01-09-09 01:43 PM
    The app is called talklock and it works pretty well.
    01-09-09 02:08 PM
    There is a stormlock, that's even better than talklock. It is $1.95 but well worth it and looks natural.... Here is a link:

StormLock - Lock Touch Screen While On Calls With Your BlackBerry Storm | Zaventh Ventures

I have it and love it...
    01-09-09 02:18 PM
    I tell ya, for the life of me I can't figure out how so many peeps seem to keep hitting the the mute with their cheeks when talking. In 5 weeks of calls I haven't managed to do it even once.
    Are you guys pinning the phone between your cheek and shoulder and going hands free or something? That's the only way I could see it.

that said, why not just hit the lock button after you answer?
    01-10-09 07:54 PM
    Ice had it happen to me once. Pinning on shoulder seems to be the culprit

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 07:57 PM
    use the speakerphone, or the headset (that was included with the storm), or get a nice bluetooth. Much better than putting that huge phone to the side of your head...
    01-10-09 08:07 PM
    I tell ya, for the life of me I can't figure out how so many peeps seem to keep hitting the the mute with their cheeks when talking. In 5 weeks of calls I haven't managed to do it even once.
    Are you guys pinning the phone between your cheek and shoulder and going hands free or something? That's the only way I could see it.

that said, why not just hit the lock button after you answer?
    I'm with you on that. I have never once clicked the screen while making a phone call.
    01-10-09 08:09 PM
    I downloaded the free app to lock the screen and it works well but I think I'll end up paying the $2 to get the other app.

I wasn't pinning the phone down to go hands free, just holding the phone as I normally do resulted in me muting the phone. There's absolutely no way I'm going to walk around with a bluetooth headset on just to use my phone, not how I roll....

Anyway, day 3 of use and I have messed around with the settings, downloaded Slacker, Weatherbug, and a few other things and have become accustomed to the way it works. I really like it and am pretty psyched about its functionality and performance.
    01-11-09 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD