The BB application "Green Finder" says that it is not capable with Verizon Blackberrys. I am assuming this is because Verizon normally does not unlock its GPS. With the Storm, this should work....any thoughts???
    11-27-08 11:09 AM
    a friend of mine uses greenfinder with a verizon curve and an external gps receiver. i would guess that the program would work but not be able to communicate with the onboard gps unless the program is updated to work with the storm. i think it would probably work with the storm and an external receiver.
    11-27-08 11:15 AM
    GPS will only work with VZNav.
    11-27-08 11:19 AM
    The assisted gps only works with vz nav the actual gps should work with any program

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 11:22 AM
    bump.....so does this mean that the green finder "should" work on the BB storm??
    12-07-08 06:49 PM
    The GPS on the storm is not locked but there have been several issues with applications not being compatible with the storm at this time. There is a possibility that it may work in compatibility mode but even at that point there may be an issue with the application not processing the data from the onboard GPS until there is an update to the greenfinder app.
    12-07-08 07:06 PM
    This is directly from greenfinder support..... ( they have excellent support i might add.....i emailed twice and they got back to me with in two hrs...this absolutely floored me LOL )

from greenfinder

Unfortunately GreenFinder doesn't work on Verizon because they don't allow 3rd party applications to access the GPS.
    12-08-08 01:18 PM
    Greenfinder is wrong. The storm has unlocked gps and now so do the curve 8330 and pearl 8130.

12-08-08 01:21 PM
    Greenfinder is wrong. The storm has unlocked gps and now so do the curve 8330 and pearl 8130.

I have tried Green Finder on the Storm. It does work but is not fully compatible with the Storm gui. As mentioned before, they have a great support system. They are working on a new version for the Storm and it will be posted soon. They thought that they would have it out the first week in Dec. They ran into a few problems.

As far as the GPS issue, the Storm is not locked on Verizon. There are many after market GPS programs that work with the Storm. Some have gui problems that will probably be fixed such as Google Maps.

Hope this helps!

12-09-08 02:53 PM
    Used it on my storm saturday. Works fine.
    03-31-09 04:45 PM
    I use Garmin Mobile on my Storm which uses GPS and assisted GPS AND is third party software so that proves 3 things, GPS,assisted GPS and third party GPS applications DO work on the Storm.

If the programs you are using don't work, then they're either written poorly or have not been updated by the manufacturer of the software properly to work on the storm. BTW, I am on Verizon as well

Johncal
    03-31-09 05:01 PM
    03-31-09 05:04 PM
    Used it on my storm saturday. Works fine.
    Holy heck...I wanna give you a hug...you ACTUALLY PROVED THE SEARCH FUNCTION HERE WORKS!!!
    03-31-09 05:31 PM
    Green Finder works GREAT on the Storm!! I've been using it for months!!

If I'm not mistaken though, the Storm is the only Berry it works on.
    03-31-09 05:40 PM
    i have been having a problem with the gps staying connected. is any one else experiencing that too?
    04-06-09 12:22 AM
    I use nav4all and its a full gps
    04-06-09 02:33 AM
    I recently downloaded the demo and used it Sunday for the first time. It worked great. I will probably pay the $35.
    04-06-09 07:59 PM
    i have been having a problem with the gps staying connected. is any one else experiencing that too?
    I am having problems also. One thing that did tend to help is I deleted the "appleberry" theme I was running and my gps seems to stay locked in now. Try deleting any themes besides the default theme.

Only trouble I am having now is if I try to map a new course, once I click a new location, it loses the gps signal.
    04-06-09 09:01 PM
    I recently downloaded the demo and used it Sunday for the first time. It worked great. I will probably pay the $35.
    Sign up for the blackberry owners lounge on the blackbery website. It allows you to get 50% off Greenfinder, so it ended up being like $19 and change for the full version.
    04-06-09 09:03 PM
    I must reco. BBGPSGOLF . . . i just downloaded and it works great. Plus you can map your own course via their website and it is available immediatly. I mapped all my courses in an hour, plus the ones already posted and I have 8 local courses available.

Did I mention free?
    04-06-09 11:01 PM
    I have used GreenFinder several times now and it worked fine. However, the other day I was out golfing and it worked for a hole or two and then I lost the satellites and could not get it going again. I don't know if it was the Storm or the GreenFinder. Any thoughts?
    04-14-09 11:40 PM
    I have used GreenFinder several times now and it worked fine. However, the other day I was out golfing and it worked for a hole or two and then I lost the satellites and could not get it going again. I don't know if it was the Storm or the GreenFinder. Any thoughts?

Switch to BBGPS.....Have used it a ton of times with no issues and as someone mentioned earlier it's completely free! I would try this and if you like it as much as I do make a small donation. It's a wonderful app!
    04-15-09 06:58 AM
    need help to load application
    04-30-09 11:06 PM
    I had a similar problem and after studying it for awhile I realized it happened in those areas where there is a very weak or no cell signal from VZW. I tried playing with the mobil network options and this fixed it. What I did follows:

Options>Mobile Network
    Data Services = Off when roaming
    Network Tecnology = 1XEV

I suspect, but cannot prove that the Storm was trying to connect to a GSM signal and somehow this locked up the GPS since we know VZW has exercised some control over the GPS chip. In any event, changing the above options fixed it for me. If you travel overseas be sure to change the options back to what they were otherwise you won't be able to roam on GSM networks.
    06-20-09 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD