So I have searched the forums already and also read the FAQ on GPSed's website and wasn't able to find an answer to my question.

I've tried to use GPSed to track where I have gone when I'm hiking or geocaching, but everytime I try to create a new track and name the new track it always tells me "Error when starting the track. Invalid character name."

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be an issue with the program not working completely with the Storm yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit:Could it be that I'm just using the free version, and not the Pro version?
    02-13-09 12:42 PM
    verizon's gps feed only works with bbmaps, it doesnt support any other 3rd party gps programs yet.
    02-13-09 01:11 PM
    verizon's gps feed only works with bbmaps, it doesnt support any other 3rd party gps programs yet.
    Wrong. So wrong. GPS works for several apps including GPSed. I have used it and it works fine.

To the OP what are you naming it? Try a one letter name. Also check all your settings. I disable the live feed. Also make sure you have the storm version.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 01:15 PM
    Wrong. So wrong. GPS works for several apps including GPSed. I have used it and it works fine.

To the OP what are you naming it? Try a one letter name. Also check all your settings. I disable the live feed. Also make sure you have the storm version.

ok, what other apps work with the internal GPS on the storm?....obviously not google maps.....or at least not on mine
    02-13-09 01:17 PM

Man I've tried naming it everything from one letter to one number all the way to a long word. by disabling live feed do you mean in track menu in settings within GPSed did you turn off "Request about Share LIVE Track"? & "Request about GPSed LIVE Track"?

In my app list on the phone it's listed as gpsedbb v. 1.2.1

I had gotten my version of the app from the OTA thread in this forum under Third Party Apps for the Storm
    Meh!
    Last edited by s.a.f.; 02-13-09 at 01:25 PM.
    02-13-09 01:22 PM
    ok, what other apps work with the internal GPS on the storm?....obviously not google maps.....or at least not on mine

Nav4All
    GPSed
    Instamapper
    Poynt
    Garmin Mobile

Doesn't work on Google maps because of the way Google implements it. verizon does block aGPS (cell tower assisted), but not regular GPS. Several threads here with much greater detail.
    02-13-09 01:26 PM
    Man I've tried naming it everything from one letter to one number all the way to a long word. by disabling live feed do you mean in track menu in settings within GPSed did you turn off "Request about Share LIVE Track"? & "Request about GPSed LIVE Track"?

In my app list on the phone it's listed as gpsedbb v. 1.2.1

I had gotten my version of the app from the OTA thread in this forum under Third Party Apps for the Storm
    Meh!

Go straight to GPSed.com and download the OTA there. Also, what are your settings under "track"?

I have verify account off in track's uploading.

I also have 1.2.1.
    02-13-09 01:29 PM
    Go straight to GPSed.com and download the OTA there. Also, what are your settings under "track"?

I have verify account off in track's uploading.

I also have 1.2.1.
    alright. downloading it from their site right now.

settings under track i had everything on i think. i had just tried turning a couple off, with no difference.

i also had verify acount off

we will see what happens
    02-13-09 01:37 PM
    well. same thing happens.
    Settings under Tracks are as follows:
    GPS Filtering: Low
    Save on: Memory
    Request about Share LIVE Track: No
    Request about GPSed LIVE Track: No
    Request about Saved Track: Yes
    02-13-09 01:45 PM
    well. same thing happens.
    Settings under Tracks are as follows:
    GPS Filtering: Low
    Save on: Memory
    Request about Share LIVE Track: No
    Request about GPSed LIVE Track: No
    Request about Saved Track: Yes
    hmmm. weird. I do have the last two settings swapped from you. But that's probably not it. Do you have your BB GPS settings set to Device GPS, Location ON, disabled while roaming?

I'd try saving it to the device, instead of memory card too.
    02-13-09 02:32 PM
    I will try to make sure my settings match yours.

Could it be my OS? I'm running .75

02-13-09 02:42 PM
    I will try to make sure my settings match yours.

Could it be my OS? I'm running .75

nope, I'm running .75 as well. Do you have BB maps installed? I know that effects certain other GPS apps sometimes. I have it installed.
    02-13-09 03:04 PM
    nope, I'm running .75 as well. Do you have BB maps installed? I know that effects certain other GPS apps sometimes. I have it installed.
    Yes I have BB maps installed.

02-13-09 03:09 PM
    Yes I have BB maps installed.

Dang. Only thing I have left would be to try a non storm version like the bold or something. That's what I used before the storm version came out.

02-13-09 04:33 PM
    Ok maybe I will give that a try. Thanks for all your help.

02-13-09 06:48 PM
    Nav4All
    GPSed
    Instamapper
    Poynt
    Garmin Mobile

Doesn't work on Google maps because of the way Google implements it. verizon does block aGPS (cell tower assisted), but not regular GPS. Several threads here with much greater detail.
    here's an app that will save your track to a .gpx or .kml file

www(dot)widgety(dot)biz\GPStrack
    (I'm not an addict, so I can't post a link)
    02-13-09 09:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD